Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Roast

Options
ScottW
ScottW Posts: 3
I am looking for suggestions for cooking a 9 pound Prime Rib Roast. The butcher cut it much bigger than I expected. What cooking times and temps would you suggest using my Large BGE? I hope to get the center to 120 degrees or so. 

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Suggest you start by reviewing:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/science-cooking-prime-rib-tenderloin-and-other-beef-roasts

Basically a low temp cook to get edge to edge even cooking and then a high temp to get a nice crust.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Reverse sear. Cook at 200 and it should take around 4 hours. Pull it off at 110. Sear at the end if you want, or finish it in the oven depending on the timing of the meal. It can sit tented for 90 minutes or so after the low and slow. Stick it in the fridge on a rack now, open to air. This will dry the surface and promote browning. Salt it liberally 24-48 hours in advance and add whatever other seasoning you plan on before the cook.

Definitely don't plan on checking at 4 hours, that is just a guideline; cook to temp.

The pic I posted was one I did, cooking at 185 for 3.5 hours to 115, then seared.

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    very easy to just roast it around 325ish with maybe one wood chunk (I usually opt for cherry on this cut) if you want it to end up being rare 120 in the dead center pull it about 110 

i lprefer mine medium rare so I like Interal temp in the low 130s
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options

Reverse sear. Cook at 200 and it should take around 4 hours. Pull it off at 110. Sear at the end if you want, or finish it in the oven depending on the timing of the meal. It can sit tented for 90 minutes or so after the low and slow. Stick it in the fridge on a rack now, open to air. This will dry the surface and promote browning. Salt it liberally 24-48 hours in advance and add whatever other seasoning you plan on before the cook.

Definitely don't plan on checking at 4 hours, that is just a guideline; cook to temp.

The pic I posted was one I did, cooking at 185 for 3.5 hours to 115, then seared.

This ^ too, looks so good!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm in the no-sear camp.  Let it dry in the fridge for a couple days if you like a crusty outside.  I want edge to edge rare to medium rare.

But the muppet is spot on with everything else.
    Options
    Oh, he did mention the fridge drying thing.  I need to actually read people's posts before replying.
    Options
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

You steal that pic from Raichlen?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Don't forget to let it dry in the fridge.  You can do that now.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95