Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Table Build

Options
Hey all,

I haven’t been using my egg much lately due to a move, a part of which was parting with my old, crappily built treated wood table.  So, as part of getting back into the swing of things, I decided it was time to build something new.  Here’s the semi-finished product.

As a question for the group though, what has anyone used to stain and seal their tables?  I’m going with a dark finish, but I’m not sure what product it’ll go with.
Large Green Egg

Kansas City, KS

Comments

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    I did a light seal on my cedar table and it looks dirty all the time.   In hindsight a darker stain would be a good idea 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    I used a stain and sealer sold for decks. It was more expensive but in 17 years I have only touched up a few nicks!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    It should be said, get a table nest much safer than the stone you have.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Beautiful table. Ditto the nest. Just don’t sit your egg directly on that stone or you risk a fire hazard. 
    Snellville, GA

• PBandJ
    PBandJ Posts: 92
    Options
    Agree on the table nest. Looks like you have room for a drawer also.
    Woodbridge, Va.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    PBandJ said:
    Either that or a large water tight plastic bin to hold lump and or PS & pizza stone.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Spydermunky
    Spydermunky Posts: 75
    edited December 2017
    Options
    RRP said:
    PBandJ said:
    Either that or a large water tight plastic bin to hold lump and or PS & pizza stone.
    That pic makes it look like the stone is sitting on the 1x’s.  Here are some better pics of how it’s set up.  It’s the same way I had my old table set up and I never had any issues with heat, which I always assumed was because of the airflow underneath (1st pic is from
    underneath).
    Large Green Egg

Kansas City, KS
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    You should still air-gap your egg.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    nice work!
    RRP said:
    PBandJ said:
    That pic makes it look like the stone is sitting on the 1x’s.  Here are some better pics of how it’s set up.  It’s the same way I had my old table set up and I never had any issues with heat, which I always assumed was because of the airflow underneath (1st pic is from
    underneath).
    This is how I built mine, 4 2X4's under the stone, but I also have a table nest on the stone for my egg. I also have a 1" gap all the way around for the hole. If I have to roll the table I made shoe horn wedges out of oak with felt glued on to insert around the egg in the 1" gap to keep the egg stable.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Stain whatever color you like and then use a couple coats of this on top of the stain. Use 3 or more coats on the top. Should last a long time. 

I would also add a drawer under the egg for storage of things like the plate setter. A drawer in the cabinet is nice too so you don't have to dig in the back of the cabinet.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.