Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco chicken wings

Options
I made a Costco run and picked up some wings but didn’t realize until I got home they weren’t sodium free. I’m used to the Purdue wings at BJs and season them. Does anyone cook the Costco wings and if so do you still season?  Here’s a pic of label for clarification. Thx. 

Comments

• MrA46221
    Options
    Rub them and love them. I do Costco wings often. Pick your favorite and go with it. I may have accidentally turned 3-4 into hokey pucks my first time because they were on the edges, but easy and tastey. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    I buy those and the organic ones all the time.  Always hit them with rub.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    There's no such thing as sodium-free chicken.  Based on the label, there is no sodium added to your wings. 95 mg in 4 oz is about as low as it gets.  Look it up.  That level of sodium is natural, the levels seem isotonic to normal chicken tissue
    I never thought about there being a natural sodium level.  Thanks for pointing out!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    No problem.  A big mac, for example, has 1240 mg sodium.  About 13 times as much as your 4 oz portion.
    I’ve done Costco wings a few times, hit them with rub and they’ve turned out good.
    XL BGE
    Pit Barrel Cooker
    MHP wnk gasser

Miami, FL
    Go Canes
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have not tried them from Costco, due to the freaking deal at Meijer's. I did two packs, had to chop them up, which provided 64 pieces for a dinner party we had this week. They were very meaty, and with rub, came out phenomenal, at about 70% of the price of Costco. I buy my ribs, bone in butts, and CAB 80/20 at Meier's as well.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I love Costco's party wings. I throw them in a pot with mustard and coat them then toss in some simple rub (I don't like spicy food).  I cook them on an AR on 2 racks raised.  flip them a few times and swap the racks a few times until they are done.  Very tasty.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    If time permits air-dry them overnight in the fridge to get crispy skin.  If you have corn starch you can also apply a light dusting with your rub just prior to the cook to achieve the same crispy skin results.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • theeggcellentchef
    Options
    @lousubcap do you prefer cornstarch over baking soda. I have both. Thx
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Never have used baking soda so by default, cornstarch.  Enjoy the cook.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Spillin
    Options
    Agreed these are a staple in my freezer. Rub of choice and as @lousubcap
    said, a touch of cornstarch really helps out with the crunch.
    LG BGE
    36" Blackstone
    Weber Genisis
    Cold IPA on tap!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    @lousubcap do you prefer cornstarch over baking soda. I have both. Thx
    baking powder or cornstarch, have never used or heard of people using baking soda.  I believe baking powder has cornstarch in it.
  • theeggcellentchef
    Options
    Oops I meant baking powder
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I use about 75% rub mixed with 25% corn starch.....Works awesome. I put the rub on them, let set overnight in the fridge, excellent results....try doing legs this way, we usually do them instead...

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    mine come out very crispy without the use of corn starch although I do cook them raised direct.  I wouldn't even try Baking Powder since it has so much sodium - I already have enough sodium in the rub.

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Buckeye79
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I use about 75% rub mixed with 25% corn starch.....Works awesome. I put the rub on them, let set overnight in the fridge, excellent results....try doing legs this way, we usually do them instead...
    This is how I cook them. One of my favorite cooks! 
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    I read somewhere that baking soda will create an 'off' taste, so I've never tried it.  I use baking powder with good success.  
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    Options
    I learn new stuff here EVERY day. Yukon Ron... Is meijers an up north thing? 
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Fyi - baking powder is about 10% sodium by weight, so do keep that in mind, those that use it.  

Baking soda is pure sodium bicarbonate.  It has its uses in the kitchen, but applying to poultry to make more crispy is not one of them.
    Options
    tml1230 said:
    I learn new stuff here EVERY day. Yukon Ron... Is meijers an up north thing? 
    @tml1230
    We only have one in Kentucky, as far as I know, and I believe it to be in Louisville.  The rest are north of Kentucky, that I am aware of.

They are like a Target, but with a killer grocery side, with a very wide selection, and great inventory. Their butcher shop is ok, not great, but anything I ask for, that I do not see, they will prepare or get for me.  Their packaged protein selections are outstanding.

Prices are low, and we save about 20% versus Kroger if that is any sort of a barometer for an understanding. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bradleya123
    Options
    I'm going due a package of those exact wings today, I'll rub them as usually.  Yummy!!!! 
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    YukonRon said:  
    They are like a Target, but with a killer grocery side, with a very wide selection, and great inventory. Their butcher shop is ok, not great...
    Actually, our Targets out west now have groceries, and similarly their meat section is "okay" but the fresh produce is very good.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.