Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef jerky is on!

egginator
egginator Posts: 569
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is a new rig that I welded up with Sandbagger. Coffee can in the bottom, a few spacers on the can and a broken pizza stone. then the 6 inch grid lifter and the jerkey rack. We'll see how it goes.[p]Ed[p]IMG_6153.jpg

Comments

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    egginator,
    Interesting! Does the coffee can have holes in it to breath or just the spacers holding the broken stone? What temp can you hold setup like this and how long? [p]Keep results coming!

• egginator
    ronbeaux,[p]Top and bottom of the can is removed. Globs of tin foil squished onto top of can (very high-tech) and half a pizza stone precariously balanced on top. I did not let the temp settle (like I should have) since I was using old lump so I am still playing with temp. It shot up ro 225, but I've got the vents shut down and I'm at 205 and dropping.[p]Ed
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    17ec7207.jpg
    <p />egginator,[p]The coffee can works good (hope you remembered to give it the pre-burn to flash off the coating), but I recently made a mini ring for one of my other smokers. My next project is to do the same for my large Egg, maybe a 6" diameter basket. I will also make a expando base/bottom so it will sit level in the Egg's firebox. After rolling, SS bolts with washers hold it together. No chance of the tiny welds cracking from heat cycling.[p]The full size charcoal basket is above. Below is top view of the mini ring sitting inside. Should be just the ticket for salmon, jerky and cheese in both smokers.[p]af785aa5.jpg[p]When I make one for my LGE, I'll post a picture and measurements.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • T-Que
    T-Que Posts: 44
    egginator,
    I just looked thru the 4 posts on the jerky set up. I have never done jerky but its something we have talked about doing. Can you tell me what the purpose of the coffee can/pizza stone or wire mesh ring is? Why not just put the lump in the bowl ofthe egg? Also why hang the jerky instead of laying across the racks and possible stacking racks (with spacers) to give you more area for the jerky? As you can see I don't ave a clue as to where to start. Any help is appriciated.
    Thx
    T-Que

• egginator
    T-Que,[p]The coffee can allows for a smaller fire without it going out. That's the theory anyway. This is my first try. I have piled the lump up before and trying to maintain 180 with a pile of lump is difficult. The fire keeps going out. [p]I've seen the multi-rack set-up and that may be a good way to go. You could start with a few 18 inch racks, then 15's and then 13's and really load up the egg. However, I've put 10 pounds of venison on the egg hanging on skewers.[p]Ed

• egginator
    thirdeye,[p]Nice. Probably get much better airflow to the charcoal, so it's probably much easier to control temp. I need to start exploring the expanded metal mesh at my local steel suppliers...[p]Ed