Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking with tea leaves......I got to thinkin......

Options
northGAcock
northGAcock Posts: 15,164
edited December 2017 in EggHead Forum
Earlier in the week while traveling on bitness, I ran into a Chinese Tea store. I have been enjoying hot tea for about a year now, but have to purchase via mail order as I have no retail stores that sell it in my area. Anyhow, i picked up a couple of Black teas at the store. One was called Lapsang Sonchong, which has a real smoky aroma to it. I got to thinking about the flavor(s) it might impart. I did a google search and was surprised to find a good bit of info out there on cooking with teas. I am going to be trying some over the holidays. Adding to sautéed mushrooms as an example....will be a starting point. Curious if any of you have had any experiences and huge win's to share?

Hoping you all have the best of cooks....over the upcoming holiday season.
Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Comments

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Hmm, interesting concept. 

I know when when we were in Afghanistan the Afghan police and Army cooks took all the leftover tea that wasn’t drank and poured it in a big container and left the meat in it. (Yeah, nasty)

But I don’t know if that was a “marinade” or a preservation and anti-bug thing. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• northGAcock
    Options

I know when when we were in Afghanistan the Afghan police and Army cooks took all the leftover tea that wasn’t drank and poured it in a big container and left the meat in it. (Yeah, nasty)

As a follow up....the  Lapsang Sonchong was a surprisingly good tea for the drink. Again it has a great smoky aroma....and i was concerned what that might be like in a tea. I am pleasantly surprised.

• BPFBGE
    BPFBGE Posts: 32
    Options
    I did tea smoke quail in a dutch oven and it was pretty good. I put 2 quail down in one side of the dutch oven and put tea leaves in  side of the dutch oven in the egg to get it nice and hot, then place 2 quail on one side of the dutch oven and the tea on the other side once the tea leaves started to smoke i closed the dutch oven and let it cook until i reached 165 degrees. It took about 90 minutes
  • northGAcock
    Options
    BPFBGE said:
    I did tea smoke quail in a dutch oven and it was pretty good. I put 2 quail down in one side of the dutch oven and put tea leaves in  side of the dutch oven in the egg to get it nice and hot, then place 2 quail on one side of the dutch oven and the tea on the other side once the tea leaves started to smoke i closed the dutch oven and let it cook until i reached 165 degrees. It took about 90 minutes
    Good stuff.....So that I clearly understand.....the tea leaves were applied in a dry fashion...thus the smoking? In other words, the natural juices from the birds with the smoking leaves at some pointed collided and provided you the joy?

• BPFBGE
    BPFBGE Posts: 32
    Options
    Correct. i put the lid on the dutch oven to make sure the smokey taste came from tea leaves and not charcoal.
  • northGAcock
    Options
    20stone said:

Tea can be used as part of a brine (like buttermilk or yogurt) and the acidity helps tenderize the meat.  None other than Sean Brock uses a sweet tea brine for his fried chicken.

As for tea-based recipes, my BiL talked me into making Tea Smoked Duck (example recipe here - http://nymag.com/restaurants/articles/recipes/teasmokedduck.htm)

It was awesome.  However, I did it using a smoke packet of tea, brown sugar and rice (as in this recipe).  It turns out that those three things smoking together looking like "rolling coal" and smells like Phish, Willie Nelson and Snoop Dogg all squeezed into Cheech and Chong's van.  I kept waiting for all the neighborhood cops and teenagers to show up.
    Too funny....will meet that in mind. Appreciate the link. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    One of the very first recipes I saved when I started learning to cook was for a tea-smoked chicken. In fact, it calls for Lapsang souchong tea! It's from Gourmet magazine and is still out there on Epicurious. Unfortunately, I never tried it! As I recall, I used to have a pic of it and it looked great, but the pic is long gone and there is none on Epicurious. Anyway, try it and report back. =)

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Tea-Smoked-Chicken-100901?id=100901&printer=true

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• northGAcock
    Options
    One of the very first recipes I saved when I started learning to cook was for a tea-smoked chicken. In fact, it calls for Lapsang souchong tea! It's from Gourmet magazine and is still out there on Epicurious. Unfortunately, I never tried it! As I recall, I used to have a pic of it and it looked great, but the pic is long gone and there is none on Epicurious. Anyway, try it and report back. =)

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Tea-Smoked-Chicken-100901?id=100901&printer=true
    Perfect. Appreciate it brother. Hope to do this sometime over the weekend.

• Thapco
    Thapco Posts: 44
    Options
    =) Is that the tea they call "cat tea" or something like that?  Has something to do with cats in the trees
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

Cool! I hope it works for you. I just read a few of the comments/reviews, but they made it sound worth doing. Also, unlike for pizza, in this case, the egg would be an excellent choice for a cooking device... unless you LIKE having a house full of smoke! =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• northGAcock
    Options

Cool! I hope it works for you. I just read a few of the comments/reviews, but they made it sound worth doing. Also, unlike for pizza, in this case, the egg would be an excellent choice for a cooking device... unless you LIKE having a house full of smoke! =)
    Wife want let me do that any more. Made me grow up quite a few years ago!