Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Precooked Turkey

Hi there am planing to reheat a precooked turkey in my BGE, but am not sure the best way to doing it to add flavor, smoke but not drying it.  I will appreciate if someone can share recipe & recommendations for a precooked bird, am not sure if its good idea to inject wine or butter or well just to season it by the outside and in the pan put apple juice, wine, butter or what ever. I will appreciate your recommendations, regards to all and happy holidays.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Guess I live a sheltered life, but I've never heard of a precooked turkey. What did the directions say? Assuming it says reheat in the oven at X degrees do the same using your BGE. As for injecting it I doubt you could change the internal taste of that precooked bird so don't bother. BTW was this a gift?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    never did one but from the directions on them theres not much more work cooking one from scratch as it is to recook one. i dont agree with the directions either, i would just warm it or go a different route like pies or maybe inject it, cook to 180 internal, and shoot for bbq sauced sandwiches.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    My sister bought one for T-Day and was extremely disappointed!  Said it tasted more like ham than turkey!!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Rascal said:
    My sister bought one for T-Day and was extremely disappointed!  Said it tasted more like ham than turkey!!
    That just shook loose a nearly faded memory. Back when my Father died 20+ years ago after the funeral someone brought us a cold precooked turkey breast that was still in the package from the processor. We sliced it for cold sandwiches and now I recall it tasted more like ham and we wondered if it was cross-processed or what!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited December 2017
    RRP said:
    Guess I live a sheltered life, but I've never heard of a precooked turkey. What did the directions say? Assuming it says reheat in the oven at X degrees do the same using your BGE. As for injecting it I doubt you could change the internal taste of that precooked bird so don't bother. BTW was this a gift?
    Our Costco has both the pre cooked boneless breast and whole bone in turkeys pre cooked. Did not look at the directions.  Not frozen and in the deli

For or the Op, maybe use a pellet tray and cold smoke it for a couple hours when it's cold outside, then warm it up in the oven.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    I would probobly use it in gumbo and/or turkey pot pie.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited December 2017
    If it's truly precooked, I would not bring it all the way up temp wise. It doesn't need to be cooked a second time.  I'd cut it up and remove the breast.  Bring it up to temp gently using 250 - 300*.  Use a chunk or two of cherry wood for smoke flavor if you want.  Remove pieces when they hit 130* and serve. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • RRP said:
    Thanks, Yes it was a gift, and yes it has oven instructions but within a heating bag and i bet the turkey will be flavorless or just natural flavor, I am planing to take it out of the bag and try to season it & smoke it. But I thought someone has experimented earlier!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I heard canned turkey is pretty delicious.  I'll see if I can find a video of someone removing it from the can.  That's something that you really can't "unsee".
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95