Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what kind of Chicken Wings

Options
Hello all, this prob gonna be stupid question for most of ya but what kind of wings do i need to look for at my local grocery store? sorry im a rookie
they have frozen wings at Sam's, do you guys get those for the eggsperience?
and let them thaw out first or put them on frozen?
North Central WV
Large BGE

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I prefer fresh myself.....and normally purchase from Earth Fare health food store (no hormones etc). Don't get me wrong, I am not a health food advocate in general.....just where I find the best fresh cut wings. I purchase the cut wings cause that is how i like them.....but others prefer them uncut. Its just a personal preference. I have used the frozen wings on occasion.....typically find them to be inconsistent in size, and more difficult to work with. You generally have a lot of water (chicken funk) run off on the frozen as they thaw. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Get get fresh one's from my local butcher.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• moldaker
    Options
    cool ill have to see what they have, i did see fresh drumsticks
    North Central WV
    Large BGE
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    pretty much every chicken wing ive seen was frozen at one time. just look for uniform size in the package. i cut them down, easier to cook uniformly. i avoid the yellow tysen type
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    1st. Check and see if the pieces say "enhanced." That means they have a salt solution in them, and don't need much if any other salt from a rub.

2nd. They can be cooked from frozen, but there is a chance that the outside will burn before the inside heats up. Wing portions are thin, and it is less likely than w. thick pieces. My advice, dump them in a bowl of water long enough to defrost, dry them, and let them sit on the counter top while the Egg comes to temperature.

3rd. Fresh is usually better. Unless meat is frozen just right, like w. liquid nitrogen, the muscle gets torn up by freezing, and tends to be drier and mushier. Edible, just not so desirable.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    Options
    Gotta admit I have never done a side-by-side with fresh vs previously frozen wings.  So you may want to conduct that exercise.  That said, I used to split the wings into the drummers and flats (removed the tip).  But over time the laziness factor has crept to the forefront and I just cook the whole wing.
    After years of back and forth with indirect vs raised direct I have landed on raised direct (as high in the dome as I can get (about 4" above the gasket line)) initially about 20 minutes then flip then around 15-20 more then decide if more time is needed.
    BTW- to get crispy skin you can air-dry uncovered overnight in the fridge and if that's not enough then lightly dust with corn starch when ready to cook.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • moldaker
    Options
    so i guess if your doing frozen wings, you just put your rub right on the frozen wings?
    North Central WV
    Large BGE
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    I always get them unfrozen (I don't know if they were previously frozen) and unpackaged from fresh market meat counter.  I like the flats and they will sell me flats only.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Pre cooked, pre rubbed. 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I like the ones from Costco that are called Party Wings.  Very easy to cook and very tasty.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • moldaker
    moldaker Posts: 17
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I wish I had a Costco close by, but I did find some fresh ones at Kroger's
    We shall see how this goes
    North Central WV
    Large BGE
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Sam's has some really nice, large wings!  I'm doing some wings on Saturday!  Here's a great recipe, but it requires at least overnight marinade.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/anthonys-coal-fired-wings-587558cd7f09edf4307c94e9

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,350
    Options
    Always buy fresh wings here. Cut off the tips and leave the drum and flat attached.

I've never had a bad wing.... Queue @Mickey
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,492
    Options
    My favorite grocer no longer offers fresh/thawed wangs, only frozen; was told the thawed ones just don't sell well.   :|

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Never understood why people buy wings. Not when you get SO much more for so much less with other parts. I have never bought even a single package of wings. Just when still attached to the rest of the bird. They taste okay, but there's nuthin' there!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GrillSgt
    Options
    Because it's the best meat on the bird and you get more skin/crunch/flavor per bite than with other pieces. 
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Because it's the best meat on the bird and you get more skin/crunch/flavor per bite than with other pieces. 

Precisely!!  Flats are my absolute favorite!
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    Flats are twice as good as the drums and drums are twice as good as the next piece of the bird. Wife didn't like flats for years, now she does. So I let her have one now and then. Yeah right. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Your missing out @Carolina Q
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
     Zach Q said:
    Never understood why people buy wings. Not when you get SO much more for so much less with other parts. I have never bought even a single package of wings. Just when still attached to the rest of the bird. They taste okay, but there's nuthin' there!
    I am with you. I throw the wings away.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,492
    Options
    I sense a huge battle approaching, ripping the United States literally in two, over piece-ism.  Oh, the huge Manatee!  :bawling:

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• littlerascal56
    Options
    Never bought, cooked, or ate a wing.  Kroeger has thighs on sale for $.99/lb.  Stuffed these with creame cheese, jalapeño, and wrapped with a slice of bacon tonight. If you like dark meat, thighs are full of flavor and super juicy!
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    LOL this is one of the worst fakes I’ve seen on this forum in a long time, and that’s saying something.

Wings are all about the quality of every bite, not the quantity.  If you have wings from one of the pros around here (the best I’ve had are @caliking’s), and you still don’t see the upside, let us know and we’ll arrange for someone to take you out back to feed the rabbits.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    I'm very happy with Kroger's frozen ones. I thaw them a little bit but bag says you can cook frozen.  Dust with a little corn starch for extra crispiness
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    LOL this is one of the worst fakes I’ve seen on this forum in a long time, and that’s saying something.

Wings are all about the quality of every bite, not the quantity.  If you have wings from one of the pros around here (the best I’ve had are @caliking’s), and you still don’t see the upside, let us know and we’ll arrange for someone to take you out back to feed the rabbits.
    I just figured that oven cooked wings aren’t very good.