Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas Suggestions

dmourati
dmourati Posts: 1,268
edited December 2017 in EggHead Forum
We are hosting a family at our house for a gourmet Christmas this year. They are foodies and are coming with some nice food ideas for an upscale series of meals that day. So far they are talking about things like whole live lobsters, foie gras, shrimp cocktails and so on.

I've mainly been cooking for myself my wife and son. As such, the BGE food has been really tasty but not quite as elevated. Turkeys, pork butts, pizzas, turkey burgers, ABTs, things like that.

With such a high end and special occasion meal with guests, I'd like some suggestions for food I can prepare on the egg that would complement what our guests are planning to bring.

I've asked my wife to focus on vegetable dishes most likely to be prepared in the kitchen.

Thanks for any ideas and doubly so for any well-tested recipes.

One starter idea I had was a New York Strip roast:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1177937/need-help-with-new-york-strip-roast

Mountain View, CA

Comments

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    We did a Texas Christmas last year and it was fantastic.   Brisket and smoked ham--Banana pudding 2 from alrecipes but add more bananas  and wafers --Best Damn Borracho beans by Texas pETE with more bacon--cornbread--potato salad --squash casserole--with Grilled shrimp and ABTS for appetizers--plus vegetable dishes guests wanted to bring and yeast rolls.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    You could do a lobster and shrimp boil in a turkey fryer with Grilled salmon and the roast sounds good also.  We prefer things like Brisket/Gumbo/etc so I am not too well up on the type of food you listed.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    A nice salmon should fit in with that crowd.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    edited December 2017
    Cook some Turf with the surf

buy a prime or better beef rib roast and egg it to med-rare

costco had 200$ off their wagyu online ordering 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61

“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Myself, I've never been much impressed by foie gras. But a goose roasted can be wonderful. It might be too late, but look at the Schiltz goose farm. Buy some goose fat and some legs, make it as a confit, and sear that on the Egg.

Or go for a whole goose. I admit I've never got one quite right, but at least as good as a well roasted duck, with more than enough fat to make super roasted 'taters.

Again, maybe too late, but the very $$$ Mangalitsa pork is stellar.

Much easier to find, beef short ribs, plate section. Steak on a stick. Cooked on an Egg, easy as can be. I did 8 bones last year for my family, and my daughter's huskies had some great doggy bone treats.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Id roast a prime beef tenderloin.  Sounds like surf is covered.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited December 2017
    bgebrent said:
    Better yet, visit @YukonRon as you know he will be doing at least one....and they don’t suck. He has excellent vino that pairs nicely. Always has Hawaiian rolls and horseradish sauce. Suzy buys some killa bread.....If I keep this up I might be spending Christmas at Ron's.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    I like the beef tenderloin idea. It would be something to serve for a larger group, four adults, that I wouldn't cook other than on such a special occasion. 
    Mountain View, CA
  • You could do a beef wellington .
  • Hans61
    Bacon wrapped scallops 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    I always take requests and go from there.  Did a big pizza/calzone cook one year for Christmas lunch, huge Mexican buffet the next with fish tacos, quesadillas, fajitas, nachos, bean dip, margaritas, etc.  Then for dinner the following year lasagna, meatballs, toasted ravioli, big salad, garlic cheese bread, etc.  I've done the big beef and potato meals and everyone loves it, but it's always fun do something different sometimes.
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    Im gonna sous vide a chuck roast 48 hours and pretend its a prime rib. See if i can fool anyone
  • @dmourati,

Whatever you decide to do, make sure your expectations will not over- ride your abilities or gear.

Cook within your means and cook it well. Don't stretch too far and risk disaster with guests. Cook a home run with what you know.

Experiment on your on time. I learned this lesson painfully a few times.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    bgebrent said:
    Better yet, visit @YukonRon as you know he will be doing at least one....and they don’t suck. He has excellent vino that pairs nicely. Always has Hawaiian rolls and horseradish sauce. Suzy buys some killa bread.....If I keep this up I might be spending Christmas at Ron's.
    We have room, and I am hoping both showers will be done. No invite necessary my brother...
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    If you are looking to elevate things and impress, try doing a Peking duck.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1206688/peking-duck#latest

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Cook what YOU do best, since you're hosting, and watch your dish disappear before all that fru-fru crap.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    C'mon @stlcharcoal!  Calzones and Mexican buffets on Christmas?   Let's try to keep it classy.... =)  
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    GoooDawgs said:
    C'mon @stlcharcoal!  Calzones and Mexican buffets on Christmas?   Let's try to keep it classy.... =)  
    Had steak and shrimp on Thanksgiving this year.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I like Jonathan's suggestion of the Mexican bar, that way you can go full Simpsons-mode with the most expensive item on the menu stuffed with the second most expensive item.