Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Happy Nancy

Options
After I got drafted to do the Christmas Eve turkey I got to thinking . Two of the guests have had their gall bladders removed. One of them especially seems sensitive to spice and grease. In my last order from Dizzy Pig I included a bottle of Happy Nancy. It was originally going to be a part of the gifts before I changed my mind. The question is has anybody cooked a turkey using just as a rub?

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Have not done turkey with Happy Nancy, but have done duck and chicken. SWMBO does not like heat, so we use Happy Nancy on veggies and her cuts of protein. On chicken I do add a touch of rubbed sage and savory as an assed flavour layer. The citrus touch in Happy Nancy likes an orange or lemon stuffed into the bird. 
    Great rub. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Like Skiddy I’ve not used Happy Nancy on Turkey but it is awesome on chicken.  I would guess it would be just as good on turkey. Mrs3969 likes it for it flavor and lack of heat.   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I agree with Skiddy & Matt.  Wilma hates spicy heat.  Happy Nancy is one of her faves on chicken.  It should work on turkey.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I used it on one of my Thanksgiving turkeys this year. All my “Nancies” LOVED it. I opted for the other bird with a Cajun style seasoning.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Thanks , I have a marinade that uses: citrus vodka, orange zest, Italian seasoning , garlic and onion powder, salt, olive oil, black pepper. I might just omit a few things.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Happy Nancy is a rub? Huh, Wasn't really thinking that's where this one was going...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    You rub her right and she’s happy.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    My alternate is Mad Max by DP.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have cooked a turkey with zero spices, salt, rubs, sauce.  Nuffin.  That stuff mostly affects the outside, which isn't something you get in the majority of bites.  It is fine just by itself.
    Options
    My alternate is Mad Max by DP.
    I used a Mad Max and butter paste this year. Itas awesome. Even the kids really liked it. I have been a fan of the Mad Max method for years. So I tried the rub was was pleased.  You would try it.
    I have used Happy Nancy on chicken with great results. Did some wings and drums for a cookout for a bunch of kids. They all loved it.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,231
    Options
    XC242 said:
    Happy Nancy is a rub? Huh, Wasn't really thinking that's where this one was going...

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,920
    Options
    I'm a long time fan of DP rubs. I go back before this forum was birthed to when Chris would share his rub formulation recipes before someone suggested he ought to quit giving those recipes away and consider making them and selling them for a living. Now with all that said I have bought and loved many of his products. The only one I have yet to try because I simply don't understand is Happy Nancy! From the product description as well as the comments thus far it continues to sound extremely bland! So please tell me what I'm missing. TIA! 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Well in my case seeing my sister and oldest niece in the hospital.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @RRP

Customer review of Happy Nancy!!!

CUSTOMER REVIEWS

DELICIOUS FOR DIGESTIVE DISORDERS TOO!

By Lisa Dunnivan on November 15, 2016
    ★★★★★
    “These seasonings are amazing. I use Happy Nancy on everything from cold cut sandwiches, to salads, to grilled chicken breast. Raising The Steak coupled with my husband's skills on the Big Green Egg transforms any cut of meat (chicken, pork, steak) into a delicious steak like meal. It's even great on mushrooms. I also like to use Mediterranean-ish to turn any pasta dish or salad into a gourmet meal. I have 3 different digestive disorders that hinder my ability to eat much of anything, but with Dizzy Pig Seasonings, the small amount of food I can eat is delicious.”