Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt’s on - Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Options
9#, first time brining - 18 hours loosely following AB’s recipe.  Rub of coffee grounds, course black pepper, kosher salt, garlic and onion powders, ground chipotle and chili powders, and a teaspoon of habanero death dust.  Cherry and apple smoke.  Doing a water bath because I want to catch the drippings to moisten the meat later.

Maryland, 1 LBGE

Comments

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    I think i’ll finish with a glaze of apricot preserves thinned with a little apple cider vinegar, with a bit more habanero death dust mixed in.  
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I think i’ll finish with a glaze of apricot preserves thinned with a little apple cider vinegar, with a bit more habanero death dust mixed in.  
    All the best on the butt and the weather. Share looks great prepped. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    Looks great. Snowing here also
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited December 2017
    Options
    For some reason, I really enjoy smoking in the snow. I guess it's my way of giving the weather the finger. The prep looks great, @JohnEggGio.

Have an awesome cook. 

It just started snowing here, and I'm putting two meat loafs in the Assassin this afternoon. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • JohnEggGio
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @SmokingPiney - I totally agree about grilling/smoking in the snow.  I’m gonna wash it down this evening with a bottle of Beaujolais Nouveau - I like BN well chilled, so I’m gonna lay the bottle in the snow to get it nice and cold.

Enjoy the day!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Sounds like a fun day with an anticipated great meal!

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    As above, that going in shot is great.  
    Regarding the water-pan; as you are aware, make sure you maintain some level of liquid during the cook or your temp will definitely rise if allowed to go empty while enjoying some adult supervisory beverages.
    Go Navy!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    As above, that going in shot is great.  
    Regarding the water-pan; as you are aware, make sure you maintain some level of liquid during the cook or your temp will definitely rise if allowed to go empty while enjoying some adult supervisory beverages.
    Go Navy!
    Yup, added water about 30 minutes ago - boiled it in a teapot first so as to not pull the temperature down.  I’m with you - go Navy!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Don't forget some pics of the finished product.  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    It's 83 here in SoCal. Tis the season. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    It's 83 here in SoCal. Tis the season. 
    83 with a chance of Dante's Hell  fiery infernos? 

I hope you're safe. 
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    YES!  That looks like it's going to be AMAZING!   Please post finished pics.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    You will enjoy the brined butt more than any other.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    About mid-cook, the fat cap is pretty well rendered so just after the pic I flipped it.  I figure there’s not much point to glazing that blanket of fat.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @JohnEggGio: So, what time shall I show up?
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    @JohnEggGio: So, what time shall I show up?
    We eat late, so about 8:30 - but cocktails start at 7!  Well, maybe 6...
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    Well, not sure when dinner will be - after about 10.5 hours on the Egg @ 250-ish, still in the 160s.  Fuel running low, so moved it to the convection oven at 280.  As a very wise man once said, let the meat rule the cook - so, dinner might not be until 10.  I’ll be spending time with my friend Tito till then.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Well, not sure when dinner will be - after about 10.5 hours on the Egg @ 250-ish, still in the 160s.  Fuel running low, so moved it to the convection oven at 280.  As a very wise man once said, let the meat rule the cook - so, dinner might not be until 10.  I’ll be spending time with my friend Tito till then.
    I used to move the meat to the oven whenever fuel was low as well. I've now modified my approach - I tightly foil the meat and let it continue to cook as I add new lump. The acrid smoke doesn't cling to the meat this way, and I can continue cooking on the Egg without interruption. 
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    I used to move the meat to the oven whenever fuel was low as well. I've now modified my approach - I tightly foil the meat and let it continue to cook as I add new lump. The acrid smoke doesn't cling to the meat this way, and I can continue cooking on the Egg without interruption. 
    I hear ya, but at this point I’m happy to have made my last trip outside - snow and all.

Check out the drippin’s - tell me that’s not worth saving!

Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    It got to 10 o’clock and I just couldn’t hold out any longer.  The temp just tickled 190 - I knew it wasn’t fully “there”, but much of it did pull as it should.  Very moist and flavorful - the bark was quite delicious.

Now, being the next morning, I can tell you that the real issue here - when dinner is at 10 rather than 8 - is 4 hours of vodka drinks versus 2.

The diamond plate for the win!  Topped with some Carolina red I’ve had on hand about 5 years.

Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Great result and diamond plate for the win as you note. Congrats on restraining for as long as you could.  (Thermo calibrated?)
    I'm surprised regarding your comment about running low on lump at the 10+ hour mark.  Don't know the size of BGE but you can fill well into the fire ring and should be able to easily run for 24+ hours (LBGE) in the 250-260*F dome temp range.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Good lookin Grub!!!  I’ve been wanting to try a brined Pork butt & your post has inspired me.  Thanks for sharing.  
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    @lousubcap - I’m running a large.  I thought I filled it, but perhaps not.  There wasn’t a lot of charcoal left, and the temperature was slowly slipping in spite of my attempts to boost temp.

A good cleaning might be in order, and as you suggest, a thermo calibration.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited December 2017
    Options
    FINE lookin' plate there! Makes me want some Q tonight, but it's 2:30PM, a little too late to start now.

I've gone 18 hrs at 250° with my large and Wicked Good lump. Not even close to filled up - or to running out. You can fill to the top of the fire ring if you like, though I never have.

You might consider cooking butts at about 320° dome. I start an 8 pound butt at about 9-10AM and it's done (200°+) by 5-6PM. I can't tell the difference in taste or texture.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnEggGio
    Options
    Well, looks like I have no choice but to try again - soon!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE