Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Don't laugh, I like Thousand Island dressing on my chili.

Options
Made a big ole steaming pot of chili this evening as it was cool and drizzly and just felt like chili weather. Not done on the egg, so off topic.
Quite by accident a few years ago, I spilled a big dollop of Thousand Island dressing on some chili, and not being one to throw away food, I ate it anyway, and really liked it. So now, I have been known to drizzle some Thousand Island on my chili instead of my usual dollop of sour cream.
The sour cream cornbread is made from freshly ground cornmeal from a local water driven grist mill and goes very well with chili.
You ever discovered a strange combination by accident that you actually liked?

Comments

• PBandJ
    PBandJ Posts: 92
    Options
    I really like chili with a peanut butter Samich. 
    Woodbridge, Va.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Jacksonville FL
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Picantes sauce with my eggs? 
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    Options
    I abs so lutely love the looks of your cornbread...specially since it is done perfectly in an appropriate  skillet...is it a gri swale.. . Since we too get authentic local corn meal from a local  mill in the NC mountains, can u share your recipe?
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • tml1230
    Options
    Sorry for the typo...is the skillet a griswald?
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
    Options
    Dobie said:
    That's funny.
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    Picantes sauce with my eggs? 
    Right there with you on that.
  • epcotisbest
    edited December 2017
    Options
    tml1230 said:
    I abs so lutely love the looks of your cornbread...specially since it is done perfectly in an appropriate  skillet...is it a gri swale.. . Since we too get authentic local corn meal from a local  mill in the NC mountains, can u share your recipe?
    Not a Griswold, just an old one that used to belong to my Grannie. She cooked on it for uncounted years before I got it some 30 plus years ago. It has much sentimental value.

The cornbread recipe is a simple one. One cup white coarse-ground cornmeal (I go ahead and buy the self-rising kind from the mill), one egg, one cup sour cream, 1/4 cup Wesson oil. Heat the skillet with some extra oil in it while mixing up the cornmeal. Once skillet is good and hot, pour the mixture in and bake at 400 for 25 minutes. No sugar, ever...this is cornbread, not cake.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I like cottage cheese in my chili 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    tml1230 said:
    Not a Griswold, just an old one that used to belong to my Grannie. She cooked on it for uncounted years before I got it some 30 plus years ago. It has much sentimental vale.

The cornbread recipe is a simple one. One cup white coarse-ground cornmeal (I go ahead and buy the self-rising kind from the mill), one egg, one cup sour cream, 1/4 cup Wesson oil. Heat the skillet with some extra oil in it while mixing up the cornmeal. Once skillet is good and hot, pour the mixture in and bake at 400 for 25 minutes. No sugar, ever...this is cornbread, not cake.
    I agree. Sugar doesn’t belong in corn bread. My grand mother who has been gone 44 years, used to make the best skillet corn bread at breakfast she would fry 4slices of bacon and leave the grease in the cast iron skillet. Then she would pour the batter in it. Sorry I can’t remember more. She had a stroke when I was seven and stayed in bed Five years until the end. 
  • tml1230
    Options
    Epcotisbest, thanks very much for the recipe. I will try it this weekend, and hoist a beer to you at first bite. I am  Right there with you on the sugar comment, I firmly believe that is against every law of nature in a corn bread recipe.
    i trust the skillet will be passed down to a son or daughter with its great history and absolute reverence.
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    Peanut butter on a cheeseburger

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Applesauce on Mac & Cheese. Ever since I've been a kid. Still the same today. I'm weird 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    Peanut butter and cream cheese, on a bagel or waffle.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Ketchup on my hot dog.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    I hate beans in my chili and I like my chili on a hotdog. 
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Red pepper vinegar on chicken n dumplings...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I like a dollop of pimento cheese in my chilli as well as veg beef soup. 

Special K (or corn flakes)  on over medium eggs with Texas Pete is good too. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    I was at a place in Pensacola many years ago that had some specialty hamburgers on their menu and one had peanut butter. It sounded weird enough that I gave it a try. Not bad. Not really something I would go out of my way for again, but interesting to try.
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Applesauce on Mac & Cheese. Ever since I've been a kid. Still the same today. I'm weird 
    That actually sound interesting. Might have to give it a try.
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    Legume said:
    Peanut butter and cream cheese, on a bagel or waffle.
    I like crunchy peanut butter on pancakes. Goes good with real maple syrup.
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    Red pepper vinegar on chicken n dumplings...
    I put some Tiger Sauce on chicken and dumplings a while back. That was good, but I like Tiger Sauce on lots of things.
  • epcotisbest
    Options

Pimento cheese is an interesting idea. 
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    tml1230 said:
    Epcotisbest, thanks very much for the recipe. I will try it this weekend, and hoist a beer to you at first bite. I am  Right there with you on the sugar comment, I firmly believe that is against every law of nature in a corn bread recipe.
    i trust the skillet will be passed down to a son or daughter with its great history and absolute reverence.
    Let me know how you like it made with sour cream. We head up to the Highlands, Cashiers area some. Where is the grist mill up your way?
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Peanut butter on toasted raisin bread with lettuce and mayonnaise. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    That actually sound interesting. Might have to give it a try.
    I wish I could give you a good reason to try it but nothing comes to mind. It might be the hot and cold together? I just feels wrong eating it without applesauce. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited December 2017
    Options

@tarheelmatt this is how such creations are made.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    This was mine. We had a dive bar in Colorado that did smash burgers with peanut butter, bacon, and grape jelly. 

It took a few trips to finally order it but it was stupid good. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    McDonald’s French fries and a Wendy’s frosty 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum