Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Xmas Gift Idea? better way to light the lump

Options

i know this has been asked already but I would like a better way to light the lump.  I have been using the firestarter cubes for years but want to do something different now.  I dont want to plug anything in - So a butane lighter?  Whats the newest gadget out there I could get?

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2017
    Options
    The L & G weed torch gift was a game changer.  I too, will never go back to any method.  Handy for several things, weeds, starting fires at the campground.  One green Coleman tank lasts a long time.   

https://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-19425-JT850-Self-Igniting-Outdoor/dp/B00008ZA0F
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Weed burner gets my vote. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    Weed burner. Harbor Freight. $20. I've have mine around 7 years and have had zero issues. I hate lighting my egg any other way.

https://m.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html?utm_referrer=direct/not provided
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I like the MAPP torch . Small, portable, convenient.  All methods work.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    MAP-Pro torch, but with propane. MAP-Pro gas is a rip off.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    And again, we are talking about how to start a fire...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Sundazes
    Sundazes Posts: 307
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Been using a mapp torch for years.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    DMW said:
    And again, we are talking about how to start a fire...

That stick looks like it would work well. Where do they sell them?
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    MAPP dried up 10 yrs ago.  Now just MAP-Pro which is a total scam.  Buy the blue bottles and save a ton.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    MAPP dried up 10 yrs ago.  Now just MAP-Pro which is a total scam.  Buy the blue bottles and save a ton.
    This for all who just like a torch.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • gregroscoe
    Options
    I have tried a bunch of other fire starters and the Bernzomatic ts8000 is the only way to go. It burns hotter than other torched and it stays lit in the wind.  They are also well built and will last forever.

Medium BGE, Large KJ, 22 Backstone, vintage U.S. made Treager, 

Sioux Falls SD

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    This works great. A cylinder of gas has lasted over a year.

Michiana, South of the border.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    well last night i put 4 pieces of royal oak lump into the fireplace insert, lit it with napkin and oil. tossed in a couple buckets of hard nut coal, and i have fire til spring
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Map Torch I used the oil and paper towel for the first year 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    I'm a caveman compared to the weed torch lighters. A couple pounds of free sawdust, a few drops of tiki torch fuel in each starter topped with melted GulfWax in a half ounce pill container makes enough to last me for two hundred and fifty fires with a total cost under $20 with tiki torch fuel left over. 

The fuel does an excellent job of "wetting" the sawdust into something readily flammable, and the wax holds it all together so they can be stored in a big ol' pickle jar. I just shove one into the bottom vent, light the waxed paper, and come back in 10 minutes to adjust the vents. Burns complete, no residue, bottom up fire. 

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I have used the Looftlighter with good results for several years now. It suits me well. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I have tried a bunch of other fire starters and the Bernzomatic ts8000 is the only way to go. It burns hotter than other torched and it stays lit in the wind.  They are also well built and will last forever.
    I have tried almost all of the methods mentioned above and some others - HF weed burner, isopropyl alcohol, Weber starter cubes, oiled paper towel BGE starter cubes, Looft lighter, heat gun, etc and my hands-down favorite is the Bernzomatic TS8000. 

I used the torch head mentioned by @teefus, and it would not stay lit when inverted. The TS8000 is often sold as a combo with MAP-Pro, but works fine with the propane bottles. 

The cane style torch works too, but is somewhat unwieldy. As is the HF weed burner, which I used for a long time before the TS8000. I can easily carry this around to my other cookers in the yard, doesn't have to be plugged in, and fits in a storage tote when I'm travelling  to an eggfest. 

And if it stops working after a few years, clean the spider webs out of the nozzle. That's the most common reason for these to not work, but its a very easy fix. I had to clean mine out once in 2-3 yrs. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

It's starting a fire - how do you want to do it?  The end result is exactly the same.   I use a weed burner, hand torch, or paper towels recycled from the blackstone - it makes zero difference in the end result.

Phoenix 
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    caliking said:
    I have tried almost all of the methods mentioned above and some others - HF weed burner, isopropyl alcohol, Weber starter cubes, oiled paper towel BGE starter cubes, Looft lighter, heat gun, etc and my hands-down favorite is the Bernzomatic TS8000. 

I used the torch head mentioned by @teefus, and it would not stay lit when inverted. The TS8000 is often sold as a combo with MAP-Pro, but works fine with the propane bottles. 

The cane style torch works too, but is somewhat unwieldy. As is the HF weed burner, which I used for a long time before the TS8000. I can easily carry this around to my other cookers in the yard, doesn't have to be plugged in, and fits in a storage tote when I'm travelling  to an eggfest. 

And if it stops working after a few years, clean the spider webs out of the nozzle. That's the most common reason for these to not work, but its a very easy fix. I had to clean mine out once in 2-3 yrs. 
    Mine is actually like the one you depict above. It stays lit.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    I love the Mapp torch as well, but WEAR EYE PROTECTION.  No joke.  Lump will snap and pop when you get it that hot that quick.  I took a hot ember to the eyelid.  Scared the bejesus out of me. 

Gloves are also a good plan

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE