Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cheap lump

Options
Based on numerous threads about lump, I think it’s safe to say that Cowboy is not a forum favorite. Would you burn it at $2 per 20 lb bag?  I passed. RW for me. 
Joliet, IL
Large, Mini, Stoker, Smobot

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    :) I've never used it, but based on the reviews I've read, you done good to pass. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    You have to figure in the cost of the food you end up being unhappy with as well.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Naughty kids don't deserve Rockwood in their Christmas stockings!!!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • MCRyan
    MCRyan Posts: 167
    Options
    My only two experiences using Cowboy Lump were bad.  Too much powder.  Seemed like half the bag was crushed down to nothing.  Sounds like you saved $2.00 worth of disappointments. 
    XLBGE, SS table
    McKinney, TX.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I’m biased Jerry, but I look at everything as an ingredient. Good decision IMHO. 
  • Grillinois
    Options
    Regardless of cost I wouldn’t buy it based on the reviews. I was surprised to see any lump at that price. Some people get good clearance deals on Blackstones. I get crappy lump. 
    Joliet, IL
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    At that priceI would buy several bags - but not to cook with. If you wanted to start a fire in an offset, or maybe heat a camp Dutch oven, or something of that nature it would be ok. I wouldn’t put it in an egg though. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I haven't used any Cowboy in about a decade but I used to use it in a hibachi and it was fine in that kind of bed of red hot coals situation.

Have no idea what is is like in a smoldering kamado situation.

For just $2/bag I'd have bought a cart full of "2 Buck Lump" if only to use it to light my KBQ.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Are you a fan of clean burns? Wasting good lump on that?

That said, at that price, I would have bought several bags. For cooking.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    For 2 bucks I'd have bought it, if not for cooking but as an energy source for other things 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    I'd take it!  really hot pizza cooks would be fine with it.    
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    I would buy it in a heartbeat. Used for years in my horizontal wood burner. Never a problem
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Woodchunk said:
    I would buy it in a heartbeat. Used for years in my horizontal wood burner. Never a problem
    Might be fine in a horizontal smoker. They operate much differently. 
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Yep, I would be on it for that price. Lots of alternative uses for it. 
  • Corvus
    Corvus Posts: 30
    Options
    I purchased a bag of Cowboy some time back for $8.  Last week I opened it and used a batch in my WSM for a chicken roast.  The chicken turned out great, the charcoal was mixed lumps and "sticks".  I dumped the remainder into LBGE to burn off some debris and season some cast iron.  It hit 700 easily and lasted about 3 hours.  One small stone and a couple unidentified objects left in the KAB.  
    Blessed are the flexible for they shall not get bent out of shape.

LBGE, Weber Genesis II, Weber Performer, 2-WSM, PKGrill, 22" Blackstone, KettlePizza, Joule, ChefAlarm, Smoke, 2-ThermaPens.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Always good to have a few bags of cheap lump around.  A good start for the stickburner, or clean burns.  It would be a waste to use RW for this type of thing.

Phoenix 
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    I have used it recently. Nothing bad to report. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Being in Joliet - let alone Illinois - you might want to do a bit more looking around. Merchants here often buy into the idea that "grilling season is only from Memorial Day to Labor Day" and will do deep discounts to move lump as well as related stock. Even Menard's does that down here in Peoria, but they only carry Royal Oak and all they have now are the busted, taped up bags!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I’ve read too many eggers post that have been eggin longer than say that cowboy burns clean given the right amount of time.   For $2 a bag I’d revisit it.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    I would have bought it and used it in the fire pit, make some mountain pies, hot dogs on sticks, etc.  for $2 you can’t beat it.
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    I would have purchased all of those bags

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Where is this magical place in IL?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Good to get the fire pit going. 
  • Grillinois
    Options
    Focker said:
    Walmart in Shorewood. On Rt 59. I haven’t been to any other locations to see if more stores are doing this. I still have about 15 bags in the garage. 
    Joliet, IL
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Pass. Will burn faster than a stick match. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Nope. A co-worker tried a bag. His cooker was still belching black smoke after 30 minutes. I've never seen black smoke come out of an Egg. He did a rack of baby backs and wound up throwing them away because they tasted like tar.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Focker said:
    Walmart in Shorewood. On Rt 59. I haven’t been to any other locations to see if more stores are doing this. I still have about 15 bags in the garage. 
    Thanks, will call around.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    For you cheap folks,  maybe if you win a bag of lump you might open your eyes to Rockwood.  There's a giveaway on Instagram from Rockwood where you can win some lump. You'll never look at other lump. 

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I tried this once.   Once.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.