Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Well, dadgummit, I have finally made the decision to buckle...

Options
GriffinGaDawg
GriffinGaDawg Posts: 332
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After having been on the site for several months now (too long according to my wife), I have decided to make the plunge and how to do it at the lowest cost possible. I decided to use my amex points to get a home depot gift card ($500) and purchase the egg with the gift card, that way, less money out of pocket. I should get my gift card Friday and may pick up the egg on saturday. By this time next week, I should be a seasoned pro! LOL Just kidding about that, but I do look VERY forward to using this beast to the utmost. [p]All that being said, I am kinda doing it backwards. My dad has had one for about 20 years, my roommate in the past has one, and I have also been to eggfests before. The only problem is that I have been moving around quite a bit and didn't really want to lug it with me. But, I say, "screw it!" If I have to move, I will let the movers deal with that issue. [p]So, EGGIN' IT IS FOR ME!

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    GriffinGaDawg,
    you've been on here for a while, haven't ya? we probably all figgered you HAD an egg.[p]welcome aboard, again.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    GriffinGaDawg,
    Congrats![p]How are you going to use a home depot gift card for an egg?[p]Just curious...

• GriffinGaDawg
    Options
    yes, i have. probably too long not to have sucked it up by now. i guess i have, in a way, had one by default as i have enjoyed my fathers over many years.
  • ChuckGGa
    ChuckGGa Posts: 115
    Options
    BurntRaw,
    Home Depot Expo, their "Design Center" in Atlanta (Perimeter Mall location), sells the Big Green Eggs and accessories... so he could use the gift card to purchase it there. [p]FYI- They match coupons from Lowe's - so if you can find a 10% off from Lowes, Home Depot usually accepts them on thier products... may save you a few dollars... or you may be able to find a 10% off on Home Depot online...

8 Green Eggs...I have a problem, ha ha!   1-XL; 2-L, 2-Med; 2-Sm; 1-Mini.       

• GriffinGaDawg
    Options
    Home Depot Expo carries the egg. I have an Expo about a qtr of a mile from my house. Spoke to them today and they have five of them in stock. Good times here in Nashvegas Baby!
  • GriffinGaDawg
    Options
    Now there is an idea...i'll be back in a bit while I look for a coupon.
  • GriffinGaDawg,
    Is there price better than the 'fest demos next weekend, if you could get a late entry demo and then barter your home depot dollars for something else.

• GriffinGaDawg
    Options
    Great idea, but I am in Nashville, TN and won't be home that weekend. And those 10% off coupons are hard to come by on-line. I did find one where they mail it to me, but it takes 4-5 weeks and, dangit, I don't think I can wait that much longer! LOL
  • BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    GriffinGaDawg,
    Far out. Who wooda thunk that the Expo center carries eggs?[p]We have an Expo center close to us but they don't come up on the Egg list when you enter the zip on the egg site.[p]Is it only a few of the centers that carry them (and based on the price of everything else they carry aren't the Eggs a bit steep there)?

• GriffinGaDawg, you can get a 10% veterans discount at Lowe's any day by showing your military veteran id.
    Home Depot does not offer veterans a 10% discount every day--just on Veteran's Day and July 4th.
    Enjoy your egg.

• GriffinGaDawg
    Options
    I am not sure if they have them at all of them. They don't advertise it on their website either. [p]As for the cost, it is probably a little more expensive, but convenience is a factor as well as the gift card. Most places I have seen them have them for about 699 or so for the large, expo has them for 750 for the complete package included a bag of lump, grate lifter, etc.
  • GriffinGaDawg
    Options
    unfortunately, I am not a vet. cheers! for those that are, they are a deserving bunch.
  • ChuckGGa
    ChuckGGa Posts: 115
    Options
    GriffinGaDawg -
    I just sent you via email a printable 10% coupon... I've had it for ages... tell them you signed up online for a moving kit and got it as an email attachment, if they even question it - I'll explain in my email - It's always worked for me.

8 Green Eggs...I have a problem, ha ha!   1-XL; 2-L, 2-Med; 2-Sm; 1-Mini.       

• Ronbo
    Ronbo Posts: 90
    Options
    BurntRaw,
    I thought the same thing but when I checked out the price for BGE lump 20lbs it was $14.99

• FSUScotsman
    Options
    REALLY? You mean my VA ID card will get me a 10% off at Lowe's anywhere in the country?
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    REALLY? You mean my VA ID card will get me a 10% off at Lowe's anywhere in the country?