Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rub salt content for ribs

Options
When making/applying your own rubs, is there a rule of thumb for how much salt to use for ribs, say, X teaspoons per pound/rack?

(I've been experimenting with making my own rubs...2nd to last batch was heavily applied and came out too salty; overcompensated on the last batch with less salt in the mix and a lighter application and they were not seasoned enough...)

TIA!

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    Easy on the salt on the rubs. You can always add it when it's done. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Go with salt free rubs. Sprinkle the ribs with salt, then apply the rub.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • zombywoof
    Options
    DMW said:
    OK - how much salt?
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    zombywoof said:
    DMW said:
    OK - how much salt?
    I don't measure. I use Kosher salt and just sprinkle over the meat. Got to be careful with salt on ribs, as there is a low surface area to meat ratio. 

Here's a good primer:
    https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pork-ribs-recipes/last-meal-ribs-recipe-best-barbecue-ribs-youve-ever-tasted

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • zombywoof
    Options
    Thanks guys, I know with experience you mostly do it by feel but he gave the sort of guideline I was looking for to start with - 1/2 tsp kosher salt per pound of meat generally, but 1/4 tsp per pound for ribs (since they're half bone.)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    A couple of years ago, I looked over about 100 rub recipes. Most were for pork. I don't recall any that were specifically for ribs.

I have a summary, and on average, a rub by volume has 30% sugar, and 15% salt. Typically there is as much black pepper as salt, and a little more of paprika. The remaining 25% is onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, and a little cayenne. That makes for a very bland rub. Most rubs have touches of other things, some herbs, maybe some allspice, cumin, mustard, etc  etc which give them more character.

As for how much to use, Dizzy Pig has/had an article on their site as to what they consider appropriate amounts. Its more a matter of how thick a cover one wants. Myself, I prefer a crusty dry rib, so I use a fairly heavy coat of rub.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    The more I make ribs, the less salt I put in my rub and the less rub I put on my ribs. It really doesn't take much rub to accent the smoky meat flavor. After all, it's all about the meat.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I prefer to separate the salting from the rub.  Salt free rubs allow you to use brines if you wish. Salt free rubs can be added in amounts in accordance with your personal taste without the concern of over salting.  

Check out the discussion on Amazing Ribs concerning rubs:
    https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/science-rubs
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Try this, just back off the salt until you are happy. IMHO the recipe has a great salt spice balance.
    Rub, Jimmy Joe"s  "BBQ-PIT-MASTER", Alabama B-B-Q Rub (2)

INGREDIENTS:
    3 Cup Smoked Paprika
    1/2 Cup Mustard Powder, preferably Colemans
    1 1/2 Cup Fine Sea Salt, I used my Rainbow salt blend
    1 Cup Black Pepper, Fine ground
    1/2 Cup Cayenne or Fine Red Pepper, to taste heat
    1/2 Cup Garlic Powder
    1/2 Cup Onion Powder

PROCEDURE:

1. Mix all and place in a sealed container.  Will last for several months if not used up first.

Recipe Type: Barbecue, Rub/Seasoning/Spice

Source
    Source: Jake & Charlies BBQ, Jimmy Brooks, "BBQ-PIT MASTER", 2016/01/08

Author Notes
    Took the original recipe and played a little.

If I had used regular white salt instead of my Rainbow mixture the color would be lighter.

04/18//2016--RPH--  My friend Jimmy broke his C1  June  '14 and his widow pulled the life support 3 days later  They were like brother and sister to me for 30 years. He was 68 when he passed and was in the "Q" business most of his life  originally from Huntsville Al. Never finished college but was one BIG Alabama fan.
    He never wrote the recipe down, but gave me some whenever I wanted.  I asked him why he never wrote it down and his answer  "I keep changing my mind"

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    DMW said:
    zombywoof said:
    DMW said:
    OK - how much salt?
    I don't measure. I use Kosher salt and just sprinkle over the meat. Got to be careful with salt on ribs, as there is a low surface area to meat ratio. 

Here's a good primer:
    https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pork-ribs-recipes/last-meal-ribs-recipe-best-barbecue-ribs-youve-ever-tasted

"...low surface area to meat ratio" ?
    Options
    DMW said:
    zombywoof said:
    DMW said:
    OK - how much salt?

Here's a good primer:

"...low surface area to meat ratio" ?
    Reverse that.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA