Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pastrami Presentation, Other than Sandwhich..?

Options
reinhart36
reinhart36 Posts: 253
edited November 2017 in EggHead Forum
Hi,

I'm thinking of doing a fresh pastrami cook.  I've been reading some interesting posts about sous vide followed by smoking on the egg that look interesting.

Anyway, I'm looking for in an interesting way to serve or present pastrami for a dinner with guests.  Sandwiches are clearly an option, as is simply eating it on a plate like brisket or something.

Has anyone seen or invented something more interesting than those two options?  I saw a website about "pastrami not sandwiches in new york" or something, but it's a bunch of silly stuff that would mask the flavor of the pastrami.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Have sliced and put out lik a cheese / charcuterie board with a few mustards, rye points, etc.

my favorite non sandwich is making hash with pastrami and sweet potatoes (cooked like country breakfast potatoes) with a couple of runny eggs on top.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Can be done with cabbage and potatoes like corned beef.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    edited November 2017
    Options
    calzones, pastrami mushrooms peppers cheese and a ranch dipping sauce
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • reinhart36
    Options
    Those are all some excellent ideas - thank you!
  • Legume
    Options
    calzones, pastrami mushrooms peppers and a ranch dipping sauce
    Yes.  Forgot that I've done pizza before, made a beer/mustard sauce base as I recall.  Chopped pickles, shredded Swiss.  Could even go with some kraut.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    FYI, sauerkraut is a very easy homemade process.  Like pastrami, it's an "active time x; total time 50x" exercise, but just requires cabbage, salt and time.

I think a pastrami calzone would be awesome. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Legume
    Options
    I think I did some pastrami stuffed mushrooms once as well.  I'm jonesing a bit for some pastrami.
  • HellrodKC
    Options
    Pastrami Hash instead of corned beef
    Eggs Benedict with pastrami
    Pastrami with potato latkes

And not quite making it the "star" but it would probably be awesome inside ABTs as well
  • nlovold
    nlovold Posts: 194
    Options
    Rueben egg rolls 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    nlovold said:
    Rueben egg rolls 
     Beat me to it - these are superb. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    My favorite was the ginormous sandwich at the Carnegie Deli in NYC before they closed. HUGE!! =)
    Image result for carnegie deli pastrami

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    HellrodKC said:
    Pastrami with potato latkes
    Never seen that before, but it sounds fantastic!  :triumph:

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month