Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Gifts To/From Your Spouse

Not too long ago I told Wilma I wanted to buy a Glock.  (I ended up with two new Glocks, but that's another story.)  She said that would be a good Christmas present from her.  I bought it and have enjoyed going to the range a couple of times already.  Yesterday she said she wanted a laptop.  I said that would be a good Christmas present from me.  We're soooo thoughtful.

So what do you do?  Do you go traditional and buy something nice for a surprise?   Do you label a larger purchase of a luxury item their present like we did this year?  Do you buy a big ticket item together for you both?  Or do you not exchange gifts at all?  Enquiring minds want to know!
Flint, Michigan

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    We used to buy each other gifts but as we get older we seem to be getting more practical. We also have 3 college educations staring down at us so we are watching the needless spending. This year we are each getting a new garage door. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    We usually get what we want when we want it and say Merry Christmas to each other. Case in point, we just "gifted" a Blackstone 36 inch griddle to ourselves.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,357
    Jacksonville FL
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506

We just gift to ourselves also. For Hanukkah this year I got X number (to be determined later) of personal fitness training sessions. Mr Evie has yet to request his gift-it will probably be a die cast model plane or books, or something like that. It makes it a lot easier.

However we usually surprise each other with a small gift, under $25 or so. But that is it. I want to retire in 5-7 years so excess spending needs to be watched also.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • Dobie said:
    Hahaha. That’s the first thing I thought of too. 
  • We’ve never bought each other Christmas gifts. We donate to kid orientated holiday charities.

Flint, Michigan
  • BPFBGE
    BPFBGE Posts: 32
    The wife and I typically buy each other one gift around $50, then go on a trip together.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Usually a tree ornament that has something that represents something that my wife and I have done within the last year.

My favorite presents are HD aluminum foil, foil pans, paper towels, etc. Stuff that I use the most often and always seem to be out of. My sisters usually roll their eyes and wish they have never asked what I wanted. =) 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I pay attention to her throughout the year when we run across stuff she likes or wants then I buy those things for Christmas.  Sometimes I just see something that I know she'll like and I'll buy that too.  Done.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Having been married for 48 years and retired I have to think pretty hard about what to get my wife for Christmas or Anniversary. Last year I got her a Portillo's Hotdog Kit which is eight hotdogs and all the extras to make Chicago Style hotdogs. For Anniversary this year we ordered two small Giordano's Stuffed Pizza's. My wife is different then most as she handles all the money, which is why I have any and if she wants something she can get it.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    We just buy each other something we need or talked about getting throughout the year. She did give me a couple small boxes to wrap with stuff she bought for herself that she found on sale. Mostly we focus on the kids.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • My wife already got her bi yearly Dooney and Bourke bag. Now I get to buy a few things for the egg. A win win for both.
    Boynton Beach, Fl
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    im kinda thinking remote door locks this year, you know...for security reasons
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    I got lucky in the wife lotto. We only get each other something for a birthday. No Valentine’s Day, Anniversary, etc. No stress trying to find a gift that was as good or better than what you got her last year. There are too many other things to be focused on other than trying to find the perfect gift. 

Plus buying shopping carts full of footballs, basketballs, and soccer balls is pretty fun. (The wifey hits up the girl aisles) 
  • im kinda thinking remote door locks this year, you know...for security reasons
    If it's for the car, you're gold.  If it's for your office door, then you must be Matt Lauer.
    Flint, Michigan
  • I got lucky in the wife lotto. We only get each other something for a birthday. No Valentine’s Day, Anniversary, etc. No stress trying to find a gift that was as good or better than what you got her last year. There are too many other things to be focused on other than trying to find the perfect gift. 

Plus buying shopping carts full of footballs, basketballs, and soccer balls is pretty fun. (The wifey hits up the girl aisles) 
    Us too.  We buy for our kids and some local needy family kids. That way she can shop for little kids and girls. We'll buy something small for each other at Christmas only. Not even a card for other occasions. 
  • Wilma expects a card on her birthday and flowers.  Sometimes there's chocolates involved.  When I'm in the doghouse, jewelry too.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,357
    Wilma expects a card on her birthday and flowers.  Sometimes there's chocolates involved.  When I'm in the doghouse, jewelry too.

Jacksonville FL
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    I fill my shoping cart online, she does the same and then we email it to each other.  Press enter and the shopping is finished.  We do get one surprise present each year. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited November 2017
    Just bought 50lbs. Of wood chunks from fruita.
    now I will be able to smoke the wife's prim rib for christmas
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    edited November 2017
    Usually buy what we want through out the year so CHRISTmas is splurged on the kids.  Sometimes just take a family trip. 
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    We do one big thing for us or for the family (this year - new dining table, last year - renovated basement), and then a few things to open under the tree.  Even with the under the tree presents we tend to consumables or experiences (expensive bourbon for me, spa day for her).

We've worked on getting the kid to like ‘experience’ gifts too, as the house gets to critical mass in terms of how many more books or legos it can hold.  Her Xmas present this year is a weekend in NY and tickets to see Hamilton.  Last year for her birthday we got tickets to a behind the scenes experience at the penguin exhibit at the MD zoo.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    This clip pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJvKBO-qBho
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • That's pretty funny!
    Flint, Michigan