Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Cast Iron

Options
Looking for some new Cast Iron skillets?  Anyone know where to find large skillets at a reasonable price?
XL BGE
WSM 18.5
Currently live in Southern Oklahoma/ North Texas region
Born and raised in Chicago! Da BEARS

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Define "reasonable price".
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Keep a eye on the Lodge website, they had a 30% off sale this past weekend. Subscribe to their newsletter, they have great stuff
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Mainstream skillets?  Walmart if they have the size you want.  Otherwise Amazon.  Garage sales and estate sales are fun hunting if you're into that sort of thing and looking for the old stuff.

Most of the new stuff benefits from a good sanding prior to seasoning.  There usually are some minor rough patches
    Phoenix 
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    yard sale...estate sale...
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    I find iron at garage sales very reasonably priced, as long as you're willing to clean them up.
    New iron can be found "cheap", but it's going to be made in China and have relatively thin walls. 
    Kroger has "woo - hoo" (close out) pricing on some Chinese iron right now if you're in the midWest.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    Lodge is STILL made in USA and for new, the only viable choice.
    Griswold and Wagner are the most common Vintage brands seen and some are VERY collectible.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Begger said:
    Griswold and Wagner are the most common Vintage brands seen and some are VERY collectible.
    There are other cast iron manufacturers that make their stuff in the USA and they are making some nice stuff. They are, however, quite a bit more expensive than a Lodge skillet from Walmart.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Anyone have one of these?

https://smitheyironware.com/

Those are pricey!  I think I would opt for vintage at a lot less $$.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • NotEnoughSmoke
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions.  I currently have lodge, but the wife wants a "big cast iron skillet for Xmas".  It will be used mainly for brunch, but I figured I could steal it for the egg. 

We have some lodge cast iron that and have been very happy with the lodge brand. I would define "reasonable price" as a lot less than someone wants to charge me.  I agree with the garage sale route.  I have found some good stuff over the years. 
    XL BGE
    WSM 18.5
  • Coldspring
    Options
    If you have Academy near you the usually have Lodge for less than Walmart.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Begger said:
    There are other cast iron manufacturers that make their stuff in the USA and they are making some nice stuff. They are, however, quite a bit more expensive than a Lodge skillet from Walmart.
    And more expensive than the vintage stuff. Pretty disappointed with the Field CI pan I bought. Not even close to a Griswold. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Begger said:
    And more expensive than the vintage stuff. Pretty disappointed with the Field CI pan I bought. Not even close to a Griswold. 
    What do you find disappointing with the Field compared to an equivalent-ish Griswold?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    Begger said:
    What do you find disappointing with the Field compared to an equivalent-ish Griswold?
    I don’t like the milled surface of the Field at all. I like the smooth Griswold over the ridges in the Field. The Field #8 is smaller than the Griswold 8. No pour spouts on the Field. The seasoning came off of the Field after the first use.  The Field seems like a $20 pan that was milled quadrupling the price. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions.  I currently have lodge, but the wife wants a "big cast iron skillet for Xmas".  It will be used mainly for brunch, but I figured I could steal it for the egg. 

We have some lodge cast iron that and have been very happy with the lodge brand. I would define "reasonable price" as a lot less than someone wants to charge me.  I agree with the garage sale route.  I have found some good stuff over the years. 
    if she is using it stove top she might not be happy with a skillet bigger than 12 inches. the burners will concentrate heat to the middle and the outer zones stay cooler. it even happens with the 12 but not so bad.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I like the Lodge two handled version. They make a 12 and a 17. It makes it easy to center it on the egg without that big handle on one end. They can occasionally be found in the wild. If you find a Griswold, be prepared to get out your checkbook.

Lodge makes a carbon steel version too.

Michiana, South of the border.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    For a large pan for brunch items, I would suggest looking at carbon steel pans.  Will not have the weight issues of cast iron but will give good performance.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    TJ Maxx has good deals on cast iron.  Only problem is you never know what pieces they have as they are always turning them over.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Griswold is out, as 12" pans are hitting $150 on the low end at fleabay.

Not sure what size egg you have, but I have a 15" Lodge paella pan, and it won't fit on the large.

The biggest CI I have is a BSR 13", it's a traditional skillet I can fit with the handle intact.  It has barely noticeable pour spouts, but who pours out of a heavily lopsided and awkward skillet?   Useless as tits on a boar.

Uneven heat is not an issue, if you preheat the pan in the egg or oven at 500, and cook.  An extra step, but it works.  Preheating your large pan, and all of that Fe, is a must for searing, sauteing, stir frying, cornbread.   

Your best bet, would be the dual handled Lodge posted.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    Focker said:
    Griswold is out, as 12" pans are hitting $150 on the low end at fleabay.

Not sure what size egg you have, but I have a 15" Lodge paella pan, and it won't fit on the large.

The biggest CI I have is a BSR 13", it's a traditional skillet I can fit with the handle intact.  It has barely noticeable pour spouts, but who pours out of a heavily lopsided and awkward skillet?   Useless as tits on a boar.

Uneven heat is not an issue, if you preheat the pan in the egg or oven at 500, and cook.  An extra step, but it works.  Preheating your pan is a must for searing, sauteing, stir frying, cornbread.   

Your best bet, would be the dual handled Lodge posted.  
    thats if it fits the oven. my big lodge doesnt fit the oven at home but it works ok on the wok burner, at camp it fits the oven but does not fit the stove top.  and with the excess heat ive melted the back clock/timer, oven temp panel at camp. make sure it fits the stove top, those high back range tops dont work well with really big pans. stupid electric at camp, the burners cave in, the wires under the top melt etc with the heavy oversized pots/pans. that big pan is going to cost me a kitchen rebuild someday
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mgoblue0484
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a rectangle shaped cast iron skillet? One that suitable for a Induction cooktop. Most seem to be reversible. For induction, I need solid contact. Thanks

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Check for Lodge at Basspro     mine was not on sale and still about 40% less than at lodge site.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    I look at thrift stores and antique shops....
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • NotEnoughSmoke
    Options
    XL BGE
    WSM 18.5