Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

AnovaSous Vide, why do I need wifi?

2»

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    BT is useless. But with wifi, you could potentially pack the tub with ice and protein, then start it up later in the day to be done by the time you get back from work.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • I think it's unnecessary, but it's there so the millenials/techies will like it. For once, I agree with @Carolina Q, but only just this once.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited November 2017
    caliking said:
    BT is useless. But with wifi, you could potentially pack the tub with ice and protein, then start it up later in the day to be done by the time you get back from work.
    I’d have some safety concerns doing this.  That would be a lot of time in the danger zone. 

But you could have the water ready upon your arrival home. 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • blasting said:
    Hijack alert! What is the best item to sous vide initially? Picked one up this week. Steaks? Chicken? 

I just bought the WiFi because the cost was negligible and was higher wattage as mentioned earlier. TIA

@pgprescott

I bought a SV about a year ago.  Used it with good results on chicken, chops etc.  Recently I've been trying to expand it's usage, and it has been an eye opener.

My fav is a chuckie.  Pre-smoke to mid 120's.  Then into the bucket for about 45 hours at 131.  Seer off when done (save the juice in the bag of course).  This meal is a game changer.  

That is a long time for that chuckie.  It’s got to fall apart after that long, no?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    johnnyp said:
    caliking said:
    I’d have some safety concerns doing this.  That would be a lot of time in the danger zone. 

But you could have the water ready upon your arrival home. 
    Potentially. In my head, it sounds like it may work with some tweaking.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • I've been using a SousVide Supreme for six years now and been very happy with it. It never even occurred to me that a wifi feature would possibly be useful. Set it and forget it.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I just jump started my water for carrots. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I think it's unnecessary, but it's there so the millenials/techies will like it. For once, I agree with @Carolina Q, but only just this once.
    Good one, Dear. =) You know this is not the first time. Won't be the last either!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DMW said:
    Hijack alert! What is the best item to sous vide initially? Picked one up this week. Steaks? Chicken? 

I just bought the WiFi because the cost was negligible and was higher wattage as mentioned earlier. TIA
    Chicken breast. The difference between SV 149* chicken and traditional cooked 165* chicken needs to be one of the first things to try.
    I never cook chicken breast to 165.  Usually 145-155 or if I poke it and mostly clear juices come out. 

XLBGE 
  • Thanks guys. The day got away from me and just now getting back on. Went with regular one to save the $50 bucks 

XLBGE 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Wi-Fi for me... because I have a Joule. One nice feature is to just pull up a programmed recipe, select the doneness you want, and it does everything for you as far as temp and timer. Tells you when the water is up to temp so you can put the meat in when you are ready to start and then when it's done. Also does easy wifi software updates. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    edited November 2017
    Toxarch said:
    Wi-Fi for me... because I have a Joule. One nice feature is to just pull up a programmed recipe, select the doneness you want, and it does everything for you as far as temp and timer. Tells you when the water is up to temp so you can put the meat in when you are ready to start and then when it's done. Also does easy wifi software updates. 
    This is the first good justification I've seen for the WiFi.  Although I gather from your answer that this is a feature with the Joule and not the Anova.  
  • Toxarch said:
    This is the first good justification I've seen for the WiFi.  Although I gather from your answer that this is a feature with the Joule and not the Anova.  
    Anova has the same feature pretty much with the wifi and bt versions.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Do I need wifi SV?  What an excellent question.  I don't have it on any of mine but now I'm totally re-evaluating my entire life.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    now I'm totally re-evaluating my entire life.
    You should do this more often, if we’re being honest here.
    Now you have me triggered.