Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

AnovaSous Vide, why do I need wifi?

Options
Let me hear it??? About to order an Anova with the cyber sale. Any reason why I need the wifi model??? I can't think about controlling it away from home but maybe I'm missing it. 

XLBGE 

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I don’t view that feature on the Anova as a need by any stretch.  It’s more of a want type deal, and even there, the arguments are pretty weak in my opinion.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I'm with John. I don't need it nor Bluetooth.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    I didn't buy the WiFi model for the connectivity, I bought it for the increased wattage. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    You don’t. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Definitely not necessary.

that being said, I’m going to be a contrarian. 

There are days that I wish I had WiFi on mine.  I often process food in advance using SV, which means a larger cooking vessel and more water. Some days, it seems to take forEVer for the water to reach its target temp.  

I’d like the flexibility of starting the preheating as soon as I leave work. 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • johnnyp
    Options
    Bluetooth is worthless
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    Definitely not necessary.

that being said, I’m going to be a contrarian. 

There are days that I wish I had WiFi on mine.  I often process food in advance using SV, which means a larger cooking vessel and more water. Some days, it seems to take forEVer for the water to reach its target temp.  

I’d like the flexibility of starting the preheating as soon as I leave work. 
    I just jumpstart the water on the stove and then put it in my SV container. 
  • johnnyp
    Options
    I typically use hot tap water.  That would take it a step further, good idea 
  • johnnyp
    Options
    Still, whenever my Anova breaks, I’ll replace it with the WiFi option just for the convenience 
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    CTMike said:
    I didn't buy the WiFi model for the connectivity, I bought it for the increased wattage. 
    Is there any significant difference in the time it takes to heat the water or the amount of water it can maintain?
    If heating the water is the issue then why not preheat on the range before starting the cook?
    Just asking because I haven't made the jump past a plain pot of hot water. Of course I don't ever cook while not at home.
  • Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    Options
    I bought the wifi. Haven't used it once. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Hijack alert! What is the best item to sous vide initially? Picked one up this week. Steaks? Chicken? 

I just bought the WiFi because the cost was negligible and was higher wattage as mentioned earlier. TIA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Hijack alert! What is the best item to sous vide initially? Picked one up this week. Steaks? Chicken? 

I just bought the WiFi because the cost was negligible and was higher wattage as mentioned earlier. TIA
    Chicken breast. The difference between SV 149* chicken and traditional cooked 165* chicken needs to be one of the first things to try.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options

I really like how flank steaks come out. Regular steaks I like reverse sear on egg better.

Doing a 2 day chuck or eye of the round seem to be the reason to have one for me. 

Having the bluetooth connect to the phone phone is more novelty than function. Guessing it’s the same with WiFi 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • A_Smalltown_Egg
    Options

I think that the protein that benefits most from a soul vide bath is port.  A large pork loin cooked sous vide then seared is spectacular.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Hands down best way to reheat leftovers too 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@MrCookingNurse.  I can't understand why bluetooth or wifi would be helpful.  I use mine almost daily, and have not bothered to ever try and set it up.

Phoenix 
  • jeponline
    Options
    JohnH12 said:
    CTMike said:
    Is there any significant difference in the time it takes to heat the water or the amount of water it can maintain?
    If heating the water is the issue then why not preheat on the range before starting the cook?
    Just asking because I haven't made the jump past a plain pot of hot water. Of course I don't ever cook while not at home.
    Hoping to loop back to this question. What difference does the 100w make?
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • johnnyp
    Options
    jeponline said:
    JohnH12 said:
    CTMike said:
    Hoping to loop back to this question. What difference does the 100w make?
    Without knowing a definitive answer, I would estimate the water would heat approx 12.5% faster 
  • Eggty
    Eggty Posts: 58
    Options
    I have the WiFi . I like it because I can start the water on the way home from and it’s ready to go when I get home. Or I start the water at what ever time I need to and have my wife put the meat in when it’s time. She doesn’t want to do it herself. Definitely not a have to have. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options

Chocolate Pots. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options

Poke chops and reverse sear.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options

Chocolate Pots. 
    This and several other sweets are on the list for sure. Gonna do some proteins first I think. Chicken or pork will likely get the nod. 
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I have both, they cook exactly the same. I have used remote connectivity once with the wifi version.  I asked my wife to put a protein from the freezer into the sous vide cooler and turn it on.  I did the rest remotely.  She’s smart tho, she could have turned the dial herself since she was there.  But I would say that if I was to buy one, it would be the wifi one.  Because of that one time.  
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    I have the original BT one and have never bothered to connect it. Yo set the stuff up, turn on adjust and set timer. Thats it. Dont know why I need it on wifi. Anova constanly sends me deals (like now) to upgrade, I just delete. 

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Really impresses your friends at the bar.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I see no need for wifi for any cooking device, temp controllers or sous vide. I never leave home while cooking anyway and I'm not too lazy to walk outside to check on my DigiQ (on the rare occasion when I actually USE my DigiQ). SV is set and forget. Wifi cooking is pointless to me. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@pgprescott

I bought a SV about a year ago.  Used it with good results on chicken, chops etc.  Recently I've been trying to expand it's usage, and it has been an eye opener.

My fav is a chuckie.  Pre-smoke to mid 120's.  Then into the bucket for about 45 hours at 131.  Seer off when done (save the juice in the bag of course).  This meal is a game changer.  

Phoenix 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options

Chocolate Pots. 
    This and several other sweets are on the list for sure. Gonna do some proteins first I think. Chicken or pork will likely get the nod. 
    Pete,
    Thick steaks are a perfect use in my book! I have tried spares with mixed results and probably will never try again. Yes for chicken, other pork and leftovers - especially beef dishes as I personally can't stand the taste of reheated beef - but sous vide reheat rocks! BTW I use a lot of inexpensive food storage bags aka bread bags by some mfg rather that FS bags.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options

Short ribs 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser