Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I have to say...the SMOBOT is incredible!

Options

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Wish there was a was to implement using Smokeware. For obvious reasons it currently doesn't have that capability. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Jcrosson said:
    Smobot is running a 20% off sale starting today. Promo code Thanks20. 
    This was the last post on page 1. I didn't want people to miss it. 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I'm in. In this case procrastination paid off.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    ryantt said:
    What I think is great about the product is the service, hands down the most responsive company I’ve ever felt with.   
    Eric could make a fortune teaching BGE and uuni about product launch management and customer communication
    The 'any day now' in BGE terms is really a year or so from now and the jury is still out on uuni as the summer of 2017 is over and i grew tired of non responses from uuni when inquiring about gas burner availability.  Im sure theres an answer somewhere hidden on their website and schmoes like me can access only after jumping through a bunch of hoops and login sequences that frustrate me to no end...maybe the uuni is just for millenials, i dont know....

BgE failure to deliver a product when indicated actually saved me money as it kept me from dropping $5,000 on the XXL.   Instead i got the minimax, which, as many on this forum will remember was worse than being a little kid anticipating Christmas.  It was like 25 Dec came and went and we got to open presents on Valentine's Day.....
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    GrillSgt said:  
    This was the last post on page 1. I didn't want people to miss it. 
    groannn..... boughted.  
    My xmas shopping is now complete, DON'T post anymore great deals, mmmkay???  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• RiverRatSkier
    Options
    You won't regret it.  I have been using mine more than I expected.  Original thought was only for low n slows.  I find myself using it for normal cooks now too.  After the temp gets to around 150 or so, set the temp and throw it on.  Then don't worry about it until I add the meat.
  • jeponline
    Options
    What's the highest temp you can use the smobot for?  Is 350 ok to do a turbo butt?
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    edited November 2017
    Options

jeponline said:
    What's the highest temp you can use the smobot for?  Is 350 ok to do a turbo butt?
    Don't recall what the max temp is but I've used mine to hold 400+.

... Went to look it up - the grill probe is good up to 750°F.

They are using a Type K probe and you can buy those in a wide range of probe types and temperature ranges if you needed a probe that measured higher temps.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• jeponline
    Options
    You gave me the info I needed.  I don't think I'll ever need higher than 350.  I placed the order, the discount was too good to pass up.

I told my wife the same story she always tell me when she buys something expensive, "but it was on sale, so I saved so much money".
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • pinballLooking
    Options

You guys have cost me money again. I just ordered one.

Thanks for pointing out the discount.

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    The smobot is a clever solution to controlling temps, no doubt. But to me its like throttling your engine by restricting flow at the tail pipe.
    Doesn't the stock daisy wheel that most folks use work the same way?

Why yes, yes it does. All the Smobot does is automate that method.
    On briskets I'm moving to keeping the dfmt wide open and controlling the temp with the lower fan. The point being to increase the airflow, lower the humidity, and maintain clean smoke.
    Gittin' there...
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    Bought one.  Damn,   Said I would never use an automated temp controller.  Laughed at my Brother for buying a trager.  Damn.  Cant wait to get it.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    What's the lowest it can reliably hold? That's one of the advantages for the blower type for me. I can hold really low temps that I wouldn't be able to with the vents alone.
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    Ragtop99 said:
    the advantage of having a fan is when the cook is behind schedule.  On an XL, passively bringing the temp up can take a while, especially with a partially blocked daisy wheel.  If I'm out and realize a butt is stuck in its stall, i can tell the FB to crank up the temp and the fan will push the temp from 235 to 285 within a couple minutes.  

I really like the Smobot's simplicity, but I already own a flameboss. 

I have a battery to power the FB.  I bought one bigger than FB suggested, about $45 or so.  If you don't mind...which battery pack?
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    The smobot is a clever solution to controlling temps, no doubt. But to me its like throttling your engine by restricting flow at the tail pipe.

On briskets I'm moving to keeping the dfmt wide open and controlling the temp with the lower fan. The point being to increase the airflow, lower the humidity, and maintain clean smoke.
    Airflow is the same, not increased. If it were,it would be hotter.
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    I know I had done 195, after already chugged along at 235 and wanted to slow things down.  Haven’t tried Lower.
    Elijah said:
    What's the lowest it can reliably hold? That's one of the advantages for the blower type for me. I can hold really low temps that I wouldn't be able to with the vents alone.

• dsleight
    dsleight Posts: 101
    Options
    Elijah said:
    I can hold 225 without any problems, I have never tried to hold anything lower using the smobot.  
  • pinballLooking
    Options
    dsleight said:
    Elijah said:
    I can hold 225 without any problems, I have never tried to hold anything lower using the smobot.  

225 is what I am looking for I can’t wait to try mine out. (when it gets here)

• reinhart36
    Options
    On my phone,  so brief response.  Thanks for all the kind words! 

Every summer,  I use smobot to run my BGE large at 190F for about 24 hours to smoke dry jalapenos from my garden.  The firmware will allow for 185F. It's nice and stable at those temps as long as you have a good lid gasket. 

Recently ran an akorn up to 650F, though I'm not sure there are many excuse to do that.  Just an experiment for fun. 

Kind regards, 
    Eric
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    On my phone,  so brief response.  Thanks for all the kind words! 

Every summer,  I use smobot to run my BGE large at 190F for about 24 hours to smoke dry jalapenos from my garden.  The firmware will allow for 185F. It's nice and stable at those temps as long as you have a good lid gasket. 

Recently ran an akorn up to 650F, though I'm not sure there are many excuse to do that.  Just an experiment for fun. 

Kind regards, 
    Eric
    @225F, how far is the bottom vent open?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • reinhart36
    reinhart36 Posts: 253
    edited November 2017
    Options
    1/3 is fine.  More is fine if there's not much wind. Inlet setting doesn't matter too much.  At higher temps like 350+, best performance full open

I should caveat that inlet setting can matter some on leaky grills, with bad seals or improperly installed smobots.  Otherwise, not too relevant.
  • reinhart36
    Options
    If you want the exhaust more open than less,  you can close down the inlet more rather than less.  It's just a balance thing mainly,  with some minor wind robustness implications. 
  • reinhart36
    Options
    Ragtop99 said:
    the advantage of having a fan is when the cook is behind schedule.  On an XL, passively bringing the temp up can take a while, especially with a partially blocked daisy wheel.  If I'm out and realize a butt is stuck in its stall, i can tell the FB to crank up the temp and the fan will push the temp from 235 to 285 within a couple minutes.  

I have a battery to power the FB.  I bought one bigger than FB suggested, about $45 or so.  
    We overlaid exact setpoint vs. time performance of FB200 and SMOBOT, and there wasn't any heat-up benefit for the fan at all.  Counter intuitive, but a fact.  Mother nature breaths lots of air through the pit when the damper is wide open.

Admittedly, the performance was virtually identical in all ways between the two.  I wish I could say ours was "better" but they both were very good..
  • reinhart36
    edited November 2017
    Options
    This is a fairly out-of-date firmware for SMOBOT, so I suspect it'd be more precise now.  Data for blower was a BGE Large, from a third party.  I mimicked the setpoint profile on my BGE Large and just documented the performance, and overlaid the two.  Surprising, huh?

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    As mentioned above mine is en-route; can anyone recommend a reasonable, rechargeable battery pack system for the SMOBOT?  I'm notoriously clumsy (Botch is accurate in so many ways) and would prefer not to have any 9v cords out there for me to trip on.  Thanks!  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Ragtop99 said:

I have a battery to power the FB.  I bought one bigger than FB suggested, about $45 or so.  If you don't mind...which battery pack?
    Talent Cell YB12011000-USB from Amazon.  Its overkill at 11000 mAh.  8000 mAh should have adequate capacity to provide solid overnight coverage.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • reinhart36
    edited November 2017
    Options
    8000 mAh is good for about 80+hours of run-time, with LCD backlight on full-time, and Wifi running.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Good discussion.  I've kicked around the thought of adding a controller to my setup and hearing the feedback from fellow Eggers and the support and contribution from the smobot folks definitely eases the decision making process.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    8000 mAh is good for about 80+hours of run-time, with LCD backlight on full-time, and Wifi running.
    I'm a belt and suspenders kinda guy when it comes to battery power for when its cold out.  :)  I also have to power the fan.

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited November 2017
    Options
    stompbox said:
    HeavyG said:

Airflow is the same, not increased. If it were,it would be hotter.
    I disagree. My thoughts are that by opening the top more, I reduce the efficiency within the cooking chamber through a freer release of rising heat. This results in a greater need for makeup air to stoke the fire to compensate. The additional flow (however minor) helps evacuate excessive humidity. I can confirm that by the reduction of condensation at the lower vent. Bear mind these are low and slow temps hovering around 275.
    Gittin' there...