Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ash basket question

Options
I picked up an ash basket the other weekend at the central fla fall fest, used it 3 times so far, and have noticed a couple things.
1) the Egg heats up to temp quicker, guessing from the better air flow
2) am using more lump for shorter cooks. Did some chicken today, thighs, and sliced tater wedges, which I put on after the chicken. Noticed the temp was dropping so checked and there was only a handful of coals left, had to add lump.

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    I don’t see a question, so I’ll assume that you’re looking for validation of your observations. 

1) you’re right.

2) the basket itself does reduce the amount of lump per load you’re putting into your egg.  I wouldn’t imagine you’re burning through lump at a considerably different rate. But reduced load size combined with more waste (small pieces falling through) probably gives that illusion. 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Are you using the KAB with the bottom grate? That might help. I noticed the air improvement with the grate in place and never felt the need to remove it. It might be worth trying out anyway 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    I use mine with the bottom grate in place.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• surveyor
    surveyor Posts: 124
    Options
    I use the bottom grate too, easier to clean and no additional lump used, and still better air flow. 
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    Kick ash basket?
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    I always use mine with stock bottom coal grate in place . Don't like hot coals falling to bare bottom of egg,with just the basket that can happen . KAB won't make you burn more coal .
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    I picked up an ash basket the other weekend at the central fla fall fest, used it 3 times so far, and have noticed a couple things.
    2) am using more lump for shorter cooks. Did some chicken today, thighs, and sliced tater wedges, which I put on after the chicken. Noticed the temp was dropping so checked and there was only a handful of coals left, had to add lump.
    Can you tell me where and when this Central Fla. Fall Fest is?  I have never heard of it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I've been a KAB user/FAN for well over 2 years on my two most often used BGEs. Right from the get go I removed my bottom grates. Maybe there is better air flow or maybe not, with or without the bottom grate. BUT the learning curve is pretty S H O R T ! - IF not even AT ALL to figure out the difference! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I use the grate on my XL, due to previous experience. Works very well. Recommend it as well.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • PoppasGrill
    Options
    Can you tell me where and when this Central Fla. Fall Fest is?  I have never heard of it.
    It was Nov 11 , in Wekiva springs.
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    When using my KAB, I use the stock grate in the XL but not in the MM. For those who have trouble getting the MM to temp the KAB helps. I also learned the hard way; when doing high temp cooks remove it. I did Pizza with it in and warped the KAB due to the temp(600-750).
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/