Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I have to say...the SMOBOT is incredible!

Options
Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited November 2017 in EggHead Forum
Of all the different temp controllers I have used in the past 15 years, the SMOBOT is the first 100% "set it and forget it" one I've ever used. I put St. Louis ribs on my Large Egg 4 hours ago, and needlessly went out to check (obsessively because of past experience with other controllers) several times...the temp was ALWAYS between 1° above and below the set 275°.

The first time I used it I didn't assemble it right and Eric answered my email immediately trying to help.

I have to say I have a little heart tug every time I take it out and see the daisy cap is set up with an apparatus and can't be used au naturel without unscrewing the Smobot, but I get over it. I use the other Eggs for anything requiring the daisy. But having an absolutely dependable temp controller? Heaven on earth.

And RRP--you never have to clean it! The website says so and shows how to keep it working while cruddy. Which probably won't deter you.
Judy in San Diego

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I echo your comments, it's the best I've ever used.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I don't have any others to compare it with, but I am very happy with mine. I like that there's no fan to worry about. The only thing that will make it better is a dedicated phone app.
    Stillwater, MN
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    What I think is great about the product is the service, hands down the most responsive company I’ve ever felt with.   
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    Service is great, And it is stupid easy to set up and get going.  Love it.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    All egg owners need a smobot!
  • dsleight
    dsleight Posts: 101
    Options
    I have had nothing but a good experience with mine, it does not hold it +/- 1 degree but it does hold it +/- 5 degrees (which is plenty close enough).  I have done several 15-18 hour cooks with no issues at all.  I will say that the phone app would be a nice feature to have.  The cloud function works just fine, but it would be so much better running through an app.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    For some reason this thing has flown under my radar; here's the website:
    http://www.smobot.com/

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• jeponline
    Options
    As someone who’s seriously considering a controller, why smobot over flameboss?
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    jeponline said:
    While I have neither, it seems it comes down to preference. One uses a fan one controls from the daisy wheel. Both seem to have a dedicated following. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    jeponline said:
    I assume the price is similar for both, but anecdotally there appears to be enough happy people on both sides of this that I don't think you'll be disappointed either way. Not sure about warranties, but customer service also seems above average for each. To me, no fan means one less piece to break down. I seem to recall the Smobot folks saying an app is in the works.
    Stillwater, MN
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I have guru and smobot
    Smobot is closer to the essense of what the bge and other ceramic cookers are about, namely, to use minimal outside help such as a stoking fan to get things going

Smobot pros include super helpful support amd communication from the company. Thanks eric!, a pure design that is simple, easy to understand that includes wifi capability and two food probes, and it is designed with harnessing your ceramic grills natural airflow harnessing technology, very affordable, portabilitydue to external powr supply, simplicity of use and design
    Cons of smobot include the need to modify daisy wheel cap..one screw, big deal, amd lack of outside help makes perhaps getting to temperature a little longer than if you had the help of a fan...but then this likely will lead to less likelihood of overshooting target temp...

I cant speaK to flameboss as i never got one

Pros of guru..qucker temp acheievment due to outside fan help, relative ease of use, precise temp comtrol
    Cons of guru include cost, need to buy air inlet adapter, need for ouside power supply unless you use party q, limited temp food probes (1) and uncertainty associated with things that could go wrong ie fan wires are thin, one of my temp controllers failed already, and other fan issues

If you want the purest application of what the ceramic grill was designed for smobot is the only choice.  I have 3 guru setups only because smobot wasnt ready to go yet.    I will be using smobot alot and maybe even conduct a side by side test to replrt on here....

• jeponline
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I do like the idea of portability and using battery power, but I’m not as concerned about sticking to the purity of a ceramic cooker.  

I just want a consistent temp and for my food to be cooked. I’ve been getting along well without any controller or monitor, but feel like I would do better with the extra information. I’ve given serious thought to the thermoworks smoke, but feel like I would be disappointed to not have the extra capability to control the temp. 
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I think if you don't already have a controller, or even if you're looking for a new one, this Smobot is the way to go. 

My only concern with it would be how it holds up in adverse weather conditions, but that's an issue with most controllers.    
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Very interesting product.  Time will tell....
    How user friendly is the wifi interface?  How is the lower vent setting determined?

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    How user friendly is the wifi interface?  How is the lower vent setting determined?

You just leave the lower vent wide open.  This is one of the many subtleties to the BGE - it's all about air *flow*.  You can control flow largely by modulating either the top or the bottom vent.  You do not actually need to use both.  
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Good to hear that everybody that has one really likes it.  It’s always good to see a product with good reviews and good customer service to back it. I personally have the flameboss and have zero complaints. I don’t think you could go wrong with either. 
  • RajunCajun
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina ..thanks for the info.  One of the things I like about the fan setup is that air is somewhat for lack of a better word, "forced" into the firebox.  If the lump is situated such that normal and natural air flow will be blocked, the fan helps to get the air through the lump and hence fuel the fire.  Any concerns with relying on natural air flow through the lump even in cases where the small pieces have formed together to impede the air flow?
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina ..thanks for the info.  One of the things I like about the fan setup is that air is somewhat for lack of a better word, "forced" into the firebox.  If the lump is situated such that normal and natural air flow will be blocked, the fan helps to get the air through the lump and hence fuel the fire.  Any concerns with relying on natural air flow through the lump even in cases where the small pieces have formed together to impede the air flow?
    Right, good point.  I've personally never had that happen to me, where once you get the fire going, the subsequent ash and rearrangement of lump combines to shut down the flow so much that it can't be recovered by opening up the top vent some more.   I know that it can happen, I just think it's pretty unusual.  

The other side of this is that some of the fan-based controllers can't actually shut down the flow if they need to.  So if temps start to run away on you above the set point, there's nothing they can do to bring them back down.  Some of the newer models may have figured out a way to address this, I'm not sure.  
  • RajunCajun
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina ...very valid info.  You have a good point about the ability to completely shut down the flow of air.  There are times I have had to do that with my DigiQ.  How user friendly is the wifi interface?  How difficult to configure the wifi?
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina ...very valid info.  You have a good point about the ability to completely shut down the flow of air.  There are times I have had to do that with my DigiQ.  How user friendly is the wifi interface?  How difficult to configure the wifi?
    I don't know, I don't actually have one of these Smobots.  I had a DigiQ that went belly up on me though, so I'm definitely thinking about getting one.  
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options

I leave it open about halfway.
    Stillwater, MN
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options

If I can figure out the set-up and wifi, that's a good indication that anyone can do it. I was surprisingly simple, even for me.
    Stillwater, MN
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    jeponline said:
    Thanks for the info. I do like the idea of portability and using battery power, but I’m not as concerned about sticking to the purity of a ceramic cooker.  

I just want a consistent temp and for my food to be cooked. I’ve been getting along well without any controller or monitor, but feel like I would do better with the extra information. I’ve given serious thought to the thermoworks smoke, but feel like I would be disappointed to not have the extra capability to control the temp. 
    You can run a FlameBoss from a battery pack also. You can buy a small external 12v battery pack for $25-ish.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    Options
    Just a reminder to not forget the Tip Top Temp if one just wants a simple no battery, no wifi, no wires "controller".

https://tiptoptemp.com/

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    As @JohnInCarolina notes, with the BGE it is all about air-flow.  A wise old forum member (since on a sabbatical) likened it to controlling a water hose.  You can control at the faucet (intake) or the nozzle (discharge).  Either way the air flow is the same.  This completes my contribution (or not) to this thread.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    The smobot is a clever solution to controlling temps, no doubt. But to me its like throttling your engine by restricting flow at the tail pipe.
    Gittin' there...
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Just a reminder to not forget the Tip Top Temp if one just wants a simple no battery, no wifi, no wires "controller".

https://tiptoptemp.com/

Hmm, I forgot all about that thing, mine fluctuated quite a bit when there was a breeze and it went unused.  I now have a Smokeware cap, however, which would keep both the wind and any rain off of it; has anyone here tried that combination?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• HeavyG
    edited November 2017
    Options
    The smobot is a clever solution to controlling temps, no doubt. But to me its like throttling your engine by restricting flow at the tail pipe.
    Doesn't the stock daisy wheel that most folks use work the same way?

Why yes, yes it does. All the Smobot does is automate that method.

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    the advantage of having a fan is when the cook is behind schedule.  On an XL, passively bringing the temp up can take a while, especially with a partially blocked daisy wheel.  If I'm out and realize a butt is stuck in its stall, i can tell the FB to crank up the temp and the fan will push the temp from 235 to 285 within a couple minutes.  

I really like the Smobot's simplicity, but I already own a flameboss. 

I have a battery to power the FB.  I bought one bigger than FB suggested, about $45 or so.  
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Jcrosson
    Options
    Smobot is running a 20% off sale starting today. Promo code Thanks20.