Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

reverse sear question

Can you use the reverse sear method if your steaks are only 1"  thick. 

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Yes
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    @DMW is correct, rare occasion.  You gotta go easy on the cook, around 105 it, then screaming hot and brief sear.  Assuming MR.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • surveyor
    surveyor Posts: 124
    I usually buy a 1/4 cow and I can not get the processor to make the steaks thicker than 1" must be his processing equipment. The farmer is a friend and he uses that processor. 
  • surveyor
    would it be better to not use the reverse sear method
  • bgebrent
    Good for you man. Perhaps since you're in the loop you could get 1.5" cuts.  Buy him a beer.
  • surveyor
    I tried but no luck, Maybe I should take him some homebrew
  • bgebrent
    Ummm, yes.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    surveyor said:
    Can you use the reverse sear method if your steaks are only 1"  thick. 
    You can, but I'm not sure I see it worth the trouble.  Frequent flipping on a 600° fire works fine for me with 1" or less steaks.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    You can but don’t need to. Let the steak sit out for an hour at room temp then grill it at 600

about three min per side will be perfect for a one incher 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,163
    I'm all in with support of the "don't go with the reverse sear if the steaks are less than around 1 1/2" thick".  The design behind the reverse (or forward) sear is to get an even cook across the width of the protein.   Once you get the steak too thin the chances of that happening are quite diminished so just use the sear to finish the cook.  
    Just an opinion so fire it up and give any style of cook a go.  You will learn something from the exercise and what's the total investment??  The key is to take away something of value from every cook (unless the adult beverage storm clouds prevail).  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.