Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning a platesetter

Options
AL
AL Posts: 81
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
anyone have a good way to clean the platesetter. I used mine for some indirect cooking and now I want to do pizza on it but its a mess. or does it really matter?

Comments

• uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    Options
    Al,
    Firing up the egg to 550 deg for an hour or two should do it, or putting it in a self cleaning oven for a cycle if you have one. The oven trick works great if your platesetter will fit, but be prepared for some smoke in your kitchen. I'd scrape off as much crud as I could to minimize that.

• ChoppedPorkPlate
    Options
    uncbbq,
    Also, once you get it clean just put a piece of Foil on top of the setter. It will stay cleaner that way.

• tomo
    tomo Posts: 78
    Options
    Al,
    I run my pizza stone and platesetter through a self cleaning cycle in our oven. They look like new when I am done. Yes, there is a little smoke, but it is bearable. I don't do it each time I use them. I do it when they look awful..tom

• ChoppedPorkPlate,
    I have found that a griddle brick, used for cleaning the griddles in cafe's, works well to clean the inside of the egg as well as the plate setter. You should be able to get one at a restaurant supply.

• George
    George Posts: 86
    Options
    Al, I clean my pizza stone/kiln-shelf by wiping it with a piece of fine sand paper.