Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Uber

So, how much is a sufficient tip for an Uber driver?
The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    You don't really have to tip them at all. 

I'll usually tip $3 or $5 for a safe, uneventful ride.  I don't usually Uber for long distances, so i think that's sufficient.  It's usually over 20%.
    NOLA
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    looks like the proper etiquette is 10-20%. 
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    so....for a $7 ride tip $1.40? Seems low.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • My experience depends on the driver. If they’re friendly and conversational i’ll tip a 5. If not just a couple bucks. Highestst Uber drive I had was a $40 from a beerfest and tipped $10 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Usually we only use them in big cities and for short distances. Usually tip ~$5
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Customers get rated by the drivers. If you tip really well, you'll get a 5. Tip mediocre, you'll get a 4. If you get rated lower than a 4, you might not get picked up unless there aren't any other customers with higher ratings. Drivers want customers with a 5 rating. And just so you know, Lyft doesn't let you tip through the app so carry cash. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Toxarch said:
    Customers get rated by the drivers. If you tip really well, you'll get a 5. Tip mediocre, you'll get a 4. If you get rated lower than a 4, you might not get picked up unless there aren't any other customers with higher ratings. Drivers want customers with a 5 rating. And just so you know, Lyft doesn't let you tip through the app so carry cash. 
    Oh how I wish the USA could kill off the whole tipping culture thing. Alas, it's not likely to ever go away.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    My experience depends on the driver. If they’re friendly and conversational i’ll tip a 5. If not just a couple bucks. Highestst Uber drive I had was a $40 from a beerfest and tipped $10 
    I'll tip them for not talking to me.
    NOLA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    if they are late to the robbery...no tip
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HeavyG said:
    Toxarch said:
    Oh how I wish the USA could kill off the whole tipping culture thing. Alas, it's not likely to ever go away.
    I used to feel the same way until I spent some time in Europe. In countries where there is no tipping there is no incentive to give good service, and the service is unbelievably bad.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    HeavyG said:
    Toxarch said:
    I used to feel the same way until I spent some time in Europe. In countries where there is no tipping there is no incentive to give good service, and the service is unbelievably bad.
    It’s hit or miss anywhere you go. It’s not the culture of the country rather the culture of the restaurant that is the difference maker. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    HeavyG said:
    Toxarch said:
    Service is commensurate with the server person and your interaction with them.  You being you pretty much explains bad service, at least from my interactions and experience.
    Tipping is common here in the UK and we tip wherever we go.  I was always surprised in Germany when the locals would tip by rounding up the bill to the nearest DM - tipping small change only.  Service was still good, they just didn't expect tips. A lot of restaurants here keep tips, or take a % of the tips, so always tip cash.
  • HeavyG said:
    Toxarch said:
    It’s hit or miss anywhere you go. It’s not the culture of the country rather the culture of the restaurant that is the difference maker. 
    I beg to differ. All my meals were in restaurants, most of the service was lousy. Holland was the worst. My first meal there was with another "ugly American" who had been there a few days before I arrived. We were waiting for the waiter to come by and take our order and I was told "if you are going to want a refill just order two cokes upfront." I asked them if the service at this restaurant is really that bad, and they said they did not know, this was their first time at this place. Well, just to see, I only ordered one, later, as the waiter passed, I asked for a refill and never got one. Next restaurant, same thing.
    Read at least the first sentence of this article. https://amsterdamshallowman.com/2014/12/seven-tips-survive-dutch-service.html
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Toxarch said:
     And just so you know, Lyft doesn't let you tip through the app so carry cash. 
    I tip through the app with Lyft.  I use them more than uber.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    HeavyG said:
    Toxarch said:
    I beg to differ. All my meals were in restaurants, most of the service was lousy. Holland was the worst. My first meal there was with another "ugly American" who had been there a few days before I arrived. We were waiting for the waiter to come by and take our order and I was told "if you are going to want a refill just order two cokes upfront." I asked them if the service at this restaurant is really that bad, and they said they did not know, this was their first time at this place. Well, just to see, I only ordered one, later, as the waiter passed, I asked for a refill and never got one. Next restaurant, same thing.
    Read at least the first sentence of this article. https://amsterdamshallowman.com/2014/12/seven-tips-survive-dutch-service.html
    I guess our experiences have differed greatly. I’ve had great service in Amsterdam as well as Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Poland, Czech Republic, Norway, and the good ol’ USA. I have had some ho hum service in the tourist trap areas but nothing any worse than what you get around here. 

Best meal I’ve ever had was in Freiburg Germany at Zum Roten Bären. We ate from their special 700 year anniversary menu. You’ve got to be doing something right to stay in business for 700 continous years (and a little lucky not to be bombed during the War). 

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    FWIW, I would probably be considered a big tipper.  With that said, I only tip over the top if the service is excellent.  If it's mediocre, ~13-15%.  Rarely does anyone get less than 15% from me.  It is also rare that I get a truly poor attitude server, to which I tip accordingly.  In most cases the servers are college kids and working to put themselves through school.....and sure, maybe a little partying on the side, so why not try to help a kid who is putting forth some sort of effort.  I am not all that crazy about the ability for the drivers to rate passengers based on tipping.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this issue.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    HeavyG said:
    Toxarch said:
    I lived in Japan for a few years. Tipping is not a thing there and the service was always what one would expect from the Japanese - excellent.

My experience in the US is that good service or bad service  doesn't really have much connection to tipping since even mediocre servers still generally expect (and usually still do) to receive a tip.

My main gripe with the tipping culture/practice in the US is that the "customary" percentage to tip seems to continue to creep upwards. I'm old enough to remember when 10% was considered a good tip.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    I hate tipping (but usually tip 20% - 25%). I would rather have higher prices and good wages for servers.  Having a job were you rely on tips would suck.  Having to be nice to rude people all day would drive me insane.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    I only tip in bitcoin.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    bgebrent said:
    I only tip in bitcoin.
    I would be the greatest server on earth for a single bit coin tip.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    bgebrent said:
    I only tip in bitcoin.
    I would be the greatest server on earth for a single bit coin tip.
    It converts well.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • We officially have one driver in the area
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Took my first Uber today. Tipped because I tip cabs but didn't know about the customer rating. He was fine, safe and answered all my dumb "so how does this work?" questions. 

From what the driver told me, they don't know the rider or even the destination until they get there and can't really decide to take a trip or not. He said he has faked car problems after arriving to get a passenger to cancel if they were really drunk or going to a really sketchy area but that they really had no say in how they get rides, the price or much else. Not sure if this is true but he had no reason to lie to me either. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    I used Lyft during a recent weekend in New Orleans.
    Lyft was outstanding. Can't beat not having to drive myself in an unfamiliar city. Over a 3 day period I used them maybe 7 times.
    I valued the service they provided much higher than the fare charged. If the fare was $15 I tipped the driver $15. At the time I used Lyft, they were the only service that allowed me to leave a tip on my credit card from the app. Uber to my understanding didn't allow tips to be added to the credit card.
    I never had to wait over a few minutes to get a car.

The price and tip was more than fair to get my family around New Orleans safely.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    gmac said:
    Took my first Uber today. Tipped because I tip cabs but didn't know about the customer rating. He was fine, safe and answered all my dumb "so how does this work?" questions. 

From what the driver told me, they don't know the rider or even the destination until they get there and can't really decide to take a trip or not. He said he has faked car problems after arriving to get a passenger to cancel if they were really drunk or going to a really sketchy area but that they really had no say in how they get rides, the price or much else. Not sure if this is true but he had no reason to lie to me either. 
    I have a friend who drives for Uber.  Your driver was correct.

Lyft tells drivers destination and fare.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676

When I made the choice to use Lyft over Uber it was because from what I had read, Lyft is a lot better company to drive for. Their policies are more favorable for the driver. Being able to tip on the app for a completely cash free transaction was great.
    I found the drivers to be friendly and would gladly talk about the history of the city. One lady related the story of riding out Katrina in the Superdome with her 3 yr old son. An incredible story. Most people are friendly and have a story to tell if you a friendly and respectful to them. 
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,167
    GregW said:

When I made the choice to use Lyft over Uber it was because from what I had read, Lyft is a lot better company to drive for. Their policies are more favorable for the driver. Being able to tip on the app for a completely cash free transaction was great.
    I found the drivers to be friendly and would gladly talk about the history of the city. One lady related the story of riding out Katrina in the Superdome with her 3 yr old son. An incredible story. Most people are friendly and have a story to tell if you a friendly and respectful to them. 
    Used uber this week and can tip through the app after the ride