Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey: whiskey brined or straight up?

Options
I’ve been setting my sights on trying a brined turkey for this Thanksgiving, particularly a whiskey brined recipe from Ree Drummond. Does anyone know if the whiskey will drown the flavor of the bird or more just serve as a moistener? Just addressing SWMBO’s concern. I love the flavor of whiskey but some guests may not.

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Never heard of that.  SOOO, in the interest of science, you should definitely go with the whiskey brine, and educate the legions of Eggheads here.  Don't tell your guests what you used unless asked directly.  
    We've all had "straight up" turkey, I'm curious what a hootch bird would be like.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I have to give it up for Ree Drummond. Her recipes are well tested. Very trustworthy. Personally I would go traditional. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    Options
    I prefer Alton Brown's brine recipe. I've tried several and always go back to it
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Wild Turkey bourbon didn't just happen... ;)
    The alcohol will be lost during the cook.  I have no idea about the left-over impact.  You are leading the charge here-go for it and let us know.  I would suggest below bottom-shelf bourbon.  But your call-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Since it’s not my whiskey...I say go for it and let us know.

Better yet try one this weekend to do a test run before the big day. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Wild Turkey bourbon didn't just happen... ;)
    The alcohol will be lost during the cook.  I have no idea about the left-over impact.  You are leading the charge here-go for it and let us know.  I would suggest below bottom-shelf bourbon.  But your call-
    I know I’m thinking Evan Williams for this bird.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Yup.  Go low shelf bourbon.  Interested if any flavor changes.  Since alcohol is soluble in water, it could be cool.  Let us know.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Yup.  Go low shelf bourbon.  Interested if any flavor changes.  Since alcohol is soluble in water, it could be cool.  Let us know.
    One thanksgiving giving the wife’s cousin made a Jack Daniels brined turkey. It was unreal. I don’t recall tasting whiskey at all in the meat ( I don’t know how much she used). It just turned out thick brown crispy skin and a juicy interior. 
  • Smokinb
    Smokinb Posts: 103
    Options
    i second the "don't waste whiskey "in brine and love the "alton brown brine" recipe. but, if you give it a try, please let us know.  also believe Ree knows what she's doing. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I have used citrus flavored vodka as part of a marinade last year. It turned out well.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I'm drinking whiskey, does that help?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Break out the Pappy and post some pix!

Image result for mnuchin
    It's a 302 thing . . .