Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is your favorite recipe using Hatch Chiles?

Options
stv8r
stv8r Posts: 1,127
edited November 2017 in Cookbook
I have 10lbs frozen after roasting.  Some peeled and some not.  What is your favorite way to use these?  Mine are fairly hot. (Lumbre)

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Mix in the hamburger meat. Simple and very good. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    And in scrambled eggs, delicious.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,330
    Options
    I make a green tomatillo salsa using one fire roasted hot one with 4 tomatillos and a few other add-ins.  Great hot smokey flavor.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    You have a promising winter ahead. 

There is a little dive in CO Springs that serves a Hatch Chili pulled pork breakfast burrito smothered in a chorizo/pepper jack cheese sauce. (Also scrambled eggs and potatoes inside). Yeah. It’s fan-freaking-tastic. 

My mom also used to dice them up in pimento cheese when I was a kid. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,466
    Options
    Narrowed it down to two:

Green chile cheeseburgers: umami burgers on the BGE, toasted buns, sharp cheddar, and chopped chile.  Listen for the angels.

Green Chile stew:  Saute 1 onion and 2 to 4 garlic cloves in oil, brown 1 lb ground pork or sweet ital sausage, add a box of cheekun broth and 24 oz fire-roasted canned tomatoes, 2 or 3 diced Yukon Gold 'taters, 1/2 tsp each oregano and cumin, salt-n-pecker to taste, and five, or ten, diced roasted green chiles.  The proportions can be modified ad infinitum.  One of my favorite dishes.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I made a pulled pork, hatch stew that I quite liked.

Also, eggs, burritos,burgers, grilled cheese.  

Phoenix 
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    When I was veeeeery  young in the 50's in Albuquerque my parents would go to hatch nm and bring home a gunny sack full and roast all weekend. Mother made chile rellenos, just roasted peeled green chile stuffed with sharp cheddar cheese and placed in a hot iron skillet to  melt the cheese, chile rellenos, BUT my favorite was her green chili pork that has evolved over the years to my current version,
    Chili, Pork, Green, #2, Richard Fl.

INGREDIENTS:
    5 Lbs. Pork, Butt, Boneless
    2-3 Lbs. Onions, Quartered, Sliced 1/4 inch Thick
    6 11 Ozs. Tomatillos, Tomatoes, Canned, Remove Husks & Stem, Save Liquid
    OR 12 Fresh Tomatillos quartered
    3 7 Ozs. Taco Sauce, Green, Mild OR Herdez Salsa Verde    
    1 26 Ozs Can Green Chilis, Diced
    2 Good Beer, Coors, Corona, or Dos XX, not dark or light
    2 Pints Chicken Broth
    2-3 Pints Salsa Fresca or Pico de Gallo
    1 10 Ozs Can  Ro*tel Tomatoes and Green Chiles HOT
    2-3 Whole Jalapeños, Seeds & Veins Removed, Finely Diced, You decide How Hot!
    2 Whole Green Chile Pork Tamales, just bought them and want to try--Great flavor and thickening agent
    3 Tbs. Red Pepper, Crushed
    3 Tbs Black Pepper, Fresh Ground
    6 Tbs Green Chili Powder
    2-3 Tbs Fresh Garlic crushed or Garlic Powder
    2-3 Tbs. Sugar
    2 Tbs. Cumin
    3-4 Tbs Mexican Oregano

Preparation

1. Cut the pork into 1 inch pieces, Saute in a Dutch oven to render grease and partially cook. Drain. Cook Onions in a little olive oil until start to wilt. Add pork back into pot and then the rest of the ingredients.

2. Bring to boil and then simmer. Place lid on pot and cook 1-1 1/2 hours. Remove lid toward end and reduce if too much liquid. Add beer or chicken broth if to thick.

3. Serve with fresh hot tortillas and/or rice.

4. Works well with leftover turkey or chicken also. Freezes very well!

5. This can also be done on the BGE, 9 QT Dutch Oven, Indirect, Plate Setter leg up, something to lift the DO off the plate setter 1/2 inch or so, 350F, no top on DO, light smoke couple of hours. Keep an eye on it so it does not dry out.

Yield: Filled 9 Qt Cast Iron Pot

Recipe Type: Dutch Oven, Main Dish, Meat

Tips
    Had just bought some fresh green chile pork tamales so took 2 of them and cut into small pieces and added.  Helps to thicken the pot.

Source
    Author: Richard Howe, '75
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 1980/05/25*
    Web Page: http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=112&func=view&catid=1&id=962512#962512

Author Notes
    2009/08/21--Richard Fl--Cooked 2 8 1/2 lbs pork butt 350F for 3 hours.  Used them for the Florida Mini Fest. Made 3 gallons chili and took to party and reheated in 9 qt DO.

THIS RECIPE FREEZES VERY WELL.

1/27/14-Note to self--Add 1 stick butter next batch.

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas.  I have tried them in scrambled eggs but they were too hot for that lol.  I love hot and spicy but kind of wish I'd have gone one level down in the heat.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,466
    Options
    @Richard Fl
    Are you sure that all fits in a 9-qrt dutch oven?   :o

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Green Chile chicken stew! A winter fav at my house. Left overs go to Enchaladas.....On the egg with a kiss of mesquite while melting the cheese.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Green chili gravy, green chili chicken enchiladas, green chili chicken soup. Polenta with green chiles
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon