Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ot - fried eggs

Options
my dog loves fried eggs.  So several days a week I will cook one for her.  Recently I have had an issue, breaking the yokes???? Is there a majik secret to not break the yokes???

(I know - the dog doesn't care, but something about the aesthetic of food resonates with me)

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet

Comments

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Btw - this was a good one
    Memphis, TN 

• mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    And pictures of the beautiful animal.
    Memphis, TN 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    What's her name 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Are you doing them sunny side up or over easy? When I break fried egg yolks unintentionally, the usual culprit is too much friction with the spatula as I'm trying to get under the egg, either to serve, in the case of sunnys, or to flip, in the case of over easy. Make sure your pan is really slick prior to throwing the eggs in there. 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Couple of things to mention. The consistency of eggs depends on their age. As they get older, more water comes out of the proteins, and tverything gets runnier.

Also, crack them on a flat surface, not a sharp one. Just enough to dent the side, and then pull the shell apart so the contents slide out in one mass.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    There's no discernible difference between white and brown eggs, but I've found the white ones MUCH easier to break without making a mess, FWIW.  
    One of our church camp counselors when I was a kid had been a cook in the Army, and he could pick up four eggs, two in each hand, and crack/deposit all four at once; that was cool.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Couple of things to mention. The consistency of eggs depends on their age. As they get older, more water comes out of the proteins, and tverything gets runnier.

Also, crack them on a flat surface, not a sharp one. Just enough to dent the side, and then pull the shell apart so the contents slide out in one mass.
    Kenji's book, "The Food Lab", covers the impact of the age on eggs in great detail.
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Great looking dog!  (Who, BTW, could care less if the egg is even cooked!) ;)
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Wait until the white is firm enough surrounding the yolk before flipping 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Did you see my thread earlier this week :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    Mickey said:
    What's her name 
    Bessie - named after my great aunt
    Memphis, TN 

• mEGG_My_Day
    Options

Are you doing them sunny side up or over easy? When I break fried egg yolks unintentionally, the usual culprit is too much friction with the spatula as I'm trying to get under the egg, either to serve, in the case of sunnys, or to flip, in the case of over easy. Make sure your pan is really slick prior to throwing the eggs in there.
    I tend to break the yolk when I break the egg - not when flipping
    Memphis, TN 

• mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    Thanks - and yes, she will eat them raw, scrambled, boiled - she doesn't care!!
    Memphis, TN 

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options

I tend to break the yolk when I break the egg - not when flipping

That can happen if the pan is too hot.  You want it hot but not super hot.
  • SandyHookEgger
    Options
    Likely poor finger dexterity if yolk is broken during cracking! Get your wife to do it.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2017
    Options
    For those breaking yolks during the turn for overeasy, I have a couple of old Flint Ekco spatulas found for $1 each, that are super thin with some flex, perfect for getting under eggs on steel or iron.  Folks on the Griswold Wags forum were fond of the old Flint Ekco spatulas, glad I found a couple.

Gave the TFal Pro pan away, haven't looked back.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I was 10 and decided I was going to start cooking my own breakfast. After months of destroying our kitchen my dad brought home a 144 pack of eggs from a restaurant he had just helped open.

He made me sit and practice cracking them 1 handed. 

1) Don’t use the pan edge to crack them. I use the metal spatula or my Blackstone scraper or a thin lipped hard cup. The edge is finer. Also you don’t make a mess of your pan. 

2) A warmer Egg is a happy Egg. The longer those eggs sat the better they cracked and less yolks broke. 

(Also, after I baked those eggs I fed them to every dog and pig in the neighborhood. They do NOT care about over easy  ;))

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    Thx for all the advise - we have been recently buying cage free organic brown eggs - and I have been taking them straight from the fridge -  I will also take the advise to get my wife to crack them from now on - I'll first have to introduce her to the kitchen
    Memphis, TN 

• 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    Options
    Another trick I saw on Youtube.....drop your egg in and give it time to just setup...then drop in a couple of drops of water and cover with a lid....the steam will finish the cooking...no need to flip....GL
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Advice from the Charm School:

If your wife is unfamiliar with the kitchen,  then this is not the time to introduce it to her.  "You want me to crack your eggs from now on?  Why?  To make pretty eggs for the dog??"

Life is messy brother and you need your wife to help keep the mess under control.  Learn to crack the eggs yourself and save your favor requests for when it matters.
    Flint, Michigan
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    the one handed flat surface trick is the way to go for sunnys. my dog gets hard boiled with the shell on crushed daily in the food, seems the shell doesnt bother him at all.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I used to put a raw egg in my greyhounds food everyday.  Coat was amazingly shiny - like show quality BUT the gas that dog emitted could clear the room.  Dang I miss that dog. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    I used to put a raw egg in my greyhounds food everyday.  Coat was amazingly shiny - like show quality BUT the gas that dog emitted could clear the room.  Dang I miss that dog. 
    I feel you on missing a lost pet!  I'm 55 years old and still miss the dog I had growing up. 
    Memphis, TN 

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    A little shake and a quick pull and my eggs are flipped - no spatula required.  Just sayin’.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    My dog gets hard boiled with the shell on crushed daily in the food, seems the shell doesnt bother him at all.
    You haven't noticed his pained, vicious glares cast your way as he's taking a dump in the yard?  :tongue:

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• milesvdustin
    Options
    If you have to introduce your wife to the kitchen you **** up somewhere! 

Thats why appliances are white, so they match the wedding dress!!!

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)