Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Loin backs first time using butcher paper and honey hog

Hans61
Hans61 Posts: 3,901
Smoking 2 slabs tomorrow. Both honey hog rub and wrapping with butcher paper are going to be new for me.

When I wrap I usually add the brown sugar, honey, and butter holy trinity; but the rub I’ve been using isn’t already sweet. With the honey hog should I hold back on the brown sugar and honey? I don’t want them too sweet. Maybe just a squeeze of parkay? 

Also never used butcher paper to wrap before, any tips? Thinking it’ll go a little longer wrapped up as opposed to the foil wrap. 

Thanks. 
“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
Coach Finstock Teen Wolf

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Bump
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • I'd leave it out and add the brown sugar and honey or molasses to your sauce. 

Its not overly sweet but there is a hint on there that I could see getting overwhelming if you kept at it. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Hans61
    @Killit_and_Grillit that was kinda my sense just wondered what others would say, it also made me think since it is my first run with a new rub, I probably should just see what it tastes like on its own before adding stuff 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    You ever wrap ribs with butcher paper?
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • @Hans61 I bet you will enjoy it. I mix it and the Honey Hog Hot on most of my pork butts and use it a lot on ribs.

I just put it on a turkey leg that's sitting out on the Egg right now. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Hans61
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61

Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61

Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    I ended up doing just a little bit of brown sugar and honey in the wrap

these were a true 3-2-1 temps ranging from 250-270
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    The butcher paper didn’t cook the ribs as fast as foil. Thinking a stall on a butt or a brisket in paper would last longer - will do a sliced pic later 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61

Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61

Sweet potatoe and corn bread muffin sauce on the table was “the next big thing” this was a great meal. The honey hog was nice and mild I’ll do a heavier coat next time

thanks for looking
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Outstanding! Enjoy. 
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    @Hans61. The color on the ribs is outstanding, very nice.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Ribs look outstanding!
    Stillwater, MN
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Hans, those ribs are a thing if beauty.  
    Phoenix 
  • Looks great!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    They look great.  Nice smoke ring!
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.