Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking to upgrade from Weber iGrill2

Options
kdatrio
kdatrio Posts: 22
So I have been running the egg for a little over a year and the iGrill2 has failed completely now. With probes in the refrigerator they report over 150 degrees and new probes do the same thing.

So the wife has approved the budget for a new thermometer. I have been looking at the Flame Boss 300 and was wondering if anyone has opinions (I know this is asking for trouble) on this or any other options I haven't seen on Google yet. I like the variable speed fan and the new dampener on the fan. I have a PartyQ now but this will replace that as well.

Just looking for some quick opinions on this before I pull the trigger.

Thank you in advance
##############################################################
"I guess I have drank the kool-aid, hmmmm I bet kool-aid would taste good on the BGE"

1 - LBGE, 1 - "almost" retired gas grill
Post office says Alexander, AR - but really in Avilla, AR

Comments

• Givengold3
    Options
    I had a Maverick, IGrill and now a FireBoard.  I love the durability, range, wifi, accuracy and expand-ability of the FireBoard.  They just introduced a fan controller and, though it is not a necessity, I love that too.  Great customer service.
    Concord, CA
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    I have the Flameboss 300 and am really happy with it.  I had an issue with a probe, 5min phone call and a new one was on its way.  the only thing to watch is when you first plug it in, if your not using it every day it will auto download the updates.  I typically plug it right when I am lighting the egg and by the time im ready to connect it all the updates are done. 

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    I’m not sure how many probes you are looking for but you only need 2 you can not go wrong with Thermoworks Smoke (http://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke). The range of the unit is superior to Mavericks. If you want to check the progress of your cook while you are not at home they sell a device called the smoke Gateway that will allow monitoring via an app. The Gateway also allows you to chart you entire cook. 
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • littlerascal56
    Options

My I-Grill has been drifting a lot lately too. I need to order a probe to see if I can get it reliable again.  I use it mostly for steaks, so it does see some high temps. 

I use my Flame Boss 300 for anything up to 350 degrees, and it works flawlessly.  FB did replace the meat probe under warranty, and cautioned not to use it for high temp cooks.  So it's my "go to" for low and slows, prime rib, chickens, pork, etc.