Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally Perfect Butt

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This butt was a small 5lb Lean Generation bone-in. Four hrs brine. Eight hrs marinade. A coating of mustard and home-made rub. Then twelve hrs in the egg with the last 1.5hrs wrapped in foil as internal temp went from 180 to 195. First time I got the bone to fall out and pulled pork. Made some killer dipping sauce. Totally outstanding, and I owe it to you guys. For one thing, it never occured to me to cook it to such a high internal temp.

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Dr.Seuss, this is how the boston butt originated. At one time it was a very cheap portion of the hog shoulder and usually a staple in larger families. The home folk cooks developed the method we use today. I think the origins came from the southern kitchens as did most great bbq recipes.
    The fats/callogens and stringy muscular texture of the butt lends well to this type of cook.
    Congrats on your success, but I find foil wrapping a boston butt isn't necessary. Unless of course your in a real big hurry. Do it sometime to the finish line with the full 1.75 to 2.0 hours per lb. at 225 to 250F dome temperature.
    Good luck..
    C~W[p]