Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Sauce -- Pork Butt

Options
Kjunbob
Kjunbob Posts: 118
I am about to wrap my Pork Butt that has been cooking since early this AM to get it through the stall.  My wife just had an interesting idea that might be good... Should we cover it in the BBQ sauce  to allow the sauce to soak in a bit before we put it back in the egg?  Thoughts?  
Thanks
Large Egg.  New Orleans Area

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I wouldn't - may want to use leftovers for other stuff I.e. Pulled pork quesadilla-  nachos. Some people also like different sauces 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Kjunbob
    Options
    Good point..
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Ditto. Personally I like a simple vinegar sauce in my sammiches. Enjoy!
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Try it, let us know how it turns out.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Yeah man post some pics. Should turn out great!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'd pour bourbon in a glass.... And hope the cook lasted a while  =)
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Kjunbob
    Options
    Decided not to do it.. thinking that we might want the left overs for some other use.. but I will try it someday on a smaller pork butt.
  • agreen
    Options
    I'm sorry new to smoking, but what exactly is "the stall"  mean?  thanks!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    agreen said:
    The stall is the period of time when the meat is at the ideal temperature for the breakdown and melting of collagen and connective tisssue. Usually @ 160 degrees. During this time the meat temperature rises very slowly and can even regress. It’s like sweat for humans. It cools the meat. 
  • DavidL
    DavidL Posts: 41
    Options
    agreen said:
    agreen, during a low and slow cook, you'll see the internal temperature (IT) of the meat rise fairly-consistently until it reaches a point where the temperature stalls due to the action pgprescott described above.  At that point the temperature will rise very little if any, and may even drop a few degrees, and stay in a "stalled" mode until it continues to rise again in a fairly-consistent manner until it reaches the target IT.  A stall can last for a pretty good while.

David
  • drumdudeguy
    drumdudeguy Posts: 165
    edited November 2017
    Options

I coat with salt, pepper, and peanut oil before I cook. After it's done I pull the pork, coarse chop it, and add one bottle of Harris Teeter Eastern Carolina (Vinegar Based) Sauce per butt. Allow the sauce to marinate for 8 hours before eating.

Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options

agreen said:
    The mass of meat can't rise above a certain temperature until at least half of the water in it has sweated out. The piece is being cooled by evaporation. Traditional cooking temperatures are low enough that the cooling effect tends to keep the meat at an internal temp of around 160 for many hours. Study in the past few years has shown that the "turbo" method, boosting the cooking temp to up too 350, drives the moisture off so fast that there is no stall. The down side is that the meat does not spend as much time in the smoke, and sugar in the rub might burn a bit.

The texture is also somewhat different. As the collagen breaks down, which happens at top speed once its at 180F, the resulting gel spreads thru the muscle fiber. Lower temps that hold the meat around 160 give the goo more time to diffuse. Its not a huge difference, but its noticeable to me.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options

I coat with salt, pepper, and peanut oil before I cook. After it's done I pull the pork, coarse chop it, and add one bottle of Harris Teeter Eastern Carolina (Vinegar Based) Sauce per butt. Allow the sauce to marinate for 8 hours before eating.

You have a freshly chopped hot pork butt, and you wait 8 hours?  That's crazy talk.
    NOLA