Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Counter Top Ovens - OT

Options
I need oven space!  I have a great built-in but find ourselves short on real estate when the holidays roll around and we're hosting the family.  We're kinda leaning towards the Breville Smart Oven Air but have no experience with one.  Just want to see if any of you guys/gals have any experience/ideas/concerns.

Thanks

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
Peachtree Corners, GA

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Big Green eggs are ovens. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    From my experience, you want to make sure that there is depth (and height) in the oven to handle your cooking vessels. In other words, you want to look at the actual cavity of cooking space. Some will look big but really the depth is limited. I also eliminated my toaster with one of these ovens....so if counter real estate is valuable....you might be able to do that as well. Mine has a convection function which i use when doing roasted potatoes....which helps crisp them up a bit. On the cleaning front, mine has a valued feature of having a removable bottom to it. I occasionally pull it and stick in in the dishwasher. Mine has a couple of sheet pan type inserts and a broiling pan with raised grid. Like anything else, think about what types of items you would be cooking in it. Try not to limit yourself size wise however you have to acknowledge that it is not going to do the volume that your built in one does.

Other than that, you want easy to use features (on / off) temp and timer settings.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    We have a panasonic combination oven and microwave that works well and adds a bit of flexibility.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    From my experience, you want to make sure that there is depth (and height) in the oven to handle your cooking vessels. In other words, you want to look at the actual cavity of cooking space. Some will look big but really the depth is limited. I also eliminated my toaster with one of these ovens....so if counter real estate is valuable....you might be able to do that as well. Mine has a convection function which i use when doing roasted potatoes....which helps crisp them up a bit. On the cleaning front, mine has a valued feature of having a removable bottom to it. I occasionally pull it and stick in in the dishwasher. Mine has a couple of sheet pan type inserts and a broiling pan with raised grid. Like anything else, think about what types of items you would be cooking in it. Try not to limit yourself size wise however you have to acknowledge that it is not going to do the volume that your built in one does.

Other than that, you want easy to use features (on / off) temp and timer settings.
    Thanks for the info.  Size was the motivating factor for choosing this one.  It was one of the few I could find that would hold a 9x13.  I have the built-in for anything bigger......as well as 2 LBGE's @pgprescott  =)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    no experience with the little ovens, but back in college in the frat house we had a built in salamander. i dont understand why they dont make them with residential prices. that thing was used all the time
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    @GATraveller must have a big family and lots of friends! Excellent!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited November 2017
    Options

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    I would suggest upgrading your microwave to the newer convection/microwave units, which look exactly like a microwave but has convection built into it as well so will work as an oven. Ours is a GE profile and has been so reliable for so many years. 

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Eoin said:
    We have a panasonic combination oven and microwave that works well and adds a bit of flexibility.
    When I first heard about those a few years ago I went looking to buy one. For some reason they just aren't available in the USA.

Does your unit have the steam feature?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Eoin said:
    When I first heard about those a few years ago I went looking to buy one. For some reason they just aren't available in the USA.

Does your unit have the steam feature?
    No, grill, oven and microwave. We use microwaveable steamers for steaming, but you have to be careful not to toast the veg. This is our second, over 10 years old. Might go steamer too next time.

• kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    We have that unit and very happy with it except takes long time to make toast.
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,183
    Options
    Aviator said:
    I would suggest upgrading your microwave to the newer convection/microwave units, which look exactly like a microwave but has convection built into it as well so will work as an oven. Ours is a GE profile and has been so reliable for so many years. 
    Agree. We had a GE Advantium at our previous place and it was amazing. 
  • Budgeezer
    Options
    I need oven space!  I have a great built-in but find ourselves short on real estate when the holidays roll around and we're hosting the family.  We're kinda leaning towards the Breville Smart Oven Air but have no experience with one.  Just want to see if any of you guys/gals have any experience/ideas/concerns.

Thanks

We have the exact same convention oven.  Works great as additional oven space.  We use it to rewarm left over apps from the BGE it brings them back fairly close to just pulling them off the egg.  It also worked great for left over pizza.  Solid unit, we have not been disappointed and have had it for over 3 years. 
    Edina, MN

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Here is a second oven!

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Aviator said:
    Agree. We had a GE Advantium at our previous place and it was amazing. 

I've got the GE Advantium.  As @DoubleEgger said, it's amazing.

Breville products are top notch too.  I've liked the few that I've owned.

Phoenix 
  • GATraveller
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Here is a second oven!

I wish. 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    I have this one...

Breville BOV845BSS Smart Oven Pro Convection Toaster Oven with Element IQ

It's amazing!  I use it 10 times more than my built in lol.  Cooks very evenly and temps are accurate.  Definitely a good choice if you need a 2nd oven.

• GATraveller
    Options
    Awesome!

Thanks for all the info everyone. 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I just ordered the Breville, I like their products we have the matching espresso machine. This site costs me more money....

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    Wolf makes a nice toaster oven? 

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    We really like our new Oster XL Digital Convection Oven with French Doors. I had decided on this one several months ago, but when I went to order, they were out of stock. They finally got them back in and I ordered one. It's large enough for most of my pans, so it works for us. Plus it has a light.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Dredger said:
    We really like our new Oster XL Digital Convection Oven with French Doors. I had decided on this one several months ago, but when I went to order, they were out of stock. They finally got them back in and I ordered one. It's large enough for most of my pans, so it works for us. Plus it has a light.

How do you like the french doors?  Does it take both hands to open?  I usually have a pan in one hand when opening the oven door.

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • dannys
    dannys Posts: 164
    Options
    Anyone know what the safe clearance is for these types of ovens?  I've been thinking about a microwave-convection but I'm worried about the heat they generate harming my cabinetry.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Make sure you get an electronic timer, not a mechanical one (don't cheep out). I kick myself every morning when I make toast, it's never the same.  And, of course, since I wish it would break so I could get a Breville, it's been 100% reliable for over 10 years....  :anguished:

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I have a Breville unit in both homes and absolutely love them!  I bake everything from cookies to bread, and bake/broil chicken, fish, and even meatloaf!!  The "Smart Oven" has a convection mode which I always use to shorten cooking times.  On top of all that, it's a great toaster!!~~
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     Looking at the Breville Air myself. I like the dehydrator and air fry features a lot.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    If you now have one, or are thinking of purchasing a Smart Oven, check out the aluminized, quarter sheet pans at Wally world.  They're a perfect fit and certainly worth the price at under 5 bucks.  Albeit, they're not safe for the dish washer or with abrasive cleaners, so I often line them with foil for an easy cleanup. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    Dredger said:

How do you like the french doors?  Does it take both hands to open?  I usually have a pan in one hand when opening the oven door.
    open one door, the other opens automatically from what it looks like on youtube
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Dredger said:

open one door, the other opens automatically from what it looks like on youtube
    That significant gap in the middle you can see through, 1/4",  is concerning.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    @GATraveller and @fishlessman, that is correct. Just pull on one side and both doors open. @Focker, the slight gap has not been an issue. The toast this one makes is remarkably consistent. Sorry for the delayed reply. Been fighting a sinus infection off and on for over a week. Thank the Lord for doTerra oregano oil. It stinks, but it works as an antibiotic. Just hate having to take prescription drugs.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC