Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brainstorm Chicken Thighs are GREAT

Options
Gretl
Gretl Posts: 670
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Uh, I just wrote the first sentence of this post and my computer crashed; I hope I'm not repeating myself! If so, pardon me.[p]Anyway, last night I tried Naure Boy's recipe for chicken thighs. We had 6 guests over and they all just raved. My husband said it was the best thing I've ever done on the BGE, but I must tell you that he says that rather frequently. He's the Egg's biggest fan.[p]I doubled the recipe and followed it pretty closely, except that when I bought the lemon grass, the grocery had some of the most beautiful fresh ginger I ever saw. So I did add some shredded ginger to the recipe; I also followed the suggestion in the recipe and added some chopped garlic. I will most certainly try this again. Thanks for posting, Nature Boy![p]Cheers,
Gretl

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Gretl,
    Yeeee Ha!! Glad to hear it was a success.
    The ginger sounds like a nice idea for a variety.
    I can't get enough of experimenting with all those great Asian spices. Not forgetting all the other great flavors we have at our disposal.[p]Thanks for sharing your results!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Where is the recipie?  These sound great.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Where is the recipie?  These sound great.
    YES!  Please post the recipe or a link to it so we can know what you're raving about!
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    we've only been waiting for almost 18 years!  post it already!

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• Theophan
    Options
    shucker said:
    we've only been waiting for almost 18 years!  post it already!
    Holy Cow!  I hadn't noticed the OP was from 2000!  No wonder she's not replying right away, maybe she isn't even on the forum anymore.  I just looked and her last post was in 2005.

So I searched this (and the older) forum, this time going all the way back to 2000, but still no joy.  I found this post, where @Nature Boy said,
    This is a shot of what my Soy/Lemongrass Chicken (previously Brainstorm Chicken) looks like when I cook em up...
    but there was no link to the recipe.  I searched both forums for "brainstorm chicken" and got references to it, but no links to a recipe.  I went to the Dizzy Pig site and they didn't have it.

I finally found this post, where @Nature Boy posted a recipe for "Lemongrass Ginger Brined Roasted Chicken," but it has to be a different recipe because it already has ginger in it, whereas the "Brainstorm Chicken" the OP in this discussion was using, he added ginger to a recipe that must not have had it in it.

I'm going to try sending an email to @Nature Boy and see if he still has the recipe and still likes it.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

I spent an embarrassing amount of time on google chasing the same rabbit holes @theophan

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Hopefully @Nature Boy will post it.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Maybe it's on Greeneggers, I hear that's the original forum.
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    @shucker I’m dying I’m laughing so hard.
  • Theophan
    Options
    Legume said:
    Maybe it's on Greeneggers, I hear that's the original forum.
    I looked, can't find it there, either.

I sent a message to @Nature Boy so hopefully when he gets back online, he'll post a reply.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Could be a 20 year con.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Any word from @Nature Boy ?
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy!! Sorry for the delay y'all. I was high in the mountains of WV with no phone or internet. Kinda nice :) Wow, that was indeed a long time ago LOL. Lots has happened in 17 years. At that time I was coming up with a lot of experiments with Asian ingredients, and posted a lot of recipes. I do not have that particular recipe, but can definitely recommend using stuff like soy, fresh garlic, lemongrass, and ginger in a marinade. Or even in a brine. Then cook them perfectly :) Wish I had more for you!! If it was today, I'd go with a soy (or oyster) sauce, rice wine, fresh lemongrass (and/or ginger), roasted garlic and Sriracha :). Marinade a few hours. Reserve the marinade, boil reduce and add some plum sauce, thicken and use for the sauce. Finish with a garnish of toasted sesame seeds and chopped green onion. I should look back at some of the stuff I was posting when I thought I knew more than I did :) Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    They say "Good things are worth waiting for."   Thanks for coming down off the mountain long enough to get this to us.  @Theophan has been waiting patiently.  Going to add this to my growing list of things to cook. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Theophan
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, and the great-sounding suggestions!  :)
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Thank you @Nature Boy !
  • Markarm4119
    Options
    Nature Boy ... are you really Ric Flair ?
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Nature Boy ... are you really Ric Flair ?
    You didn’t know?  Flair is a huge egghead.  I heard he started a seasoning company after stepping away from the ring.  
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA