Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF - BOGO17

@SRF_Sean
@SRFANNELLA

You folks planning on running the annual special this year?
Large BGE - McDonald, PA

Comments

• maso
    maso Posts: 240
    #endclickbait
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Here's the latest I have on your question:  (Short answer-No)
      SRF Pork Month 40% Off 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    O8k

XL BGE
    MD
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    edited October 2017
    Yeah, I won’t lie. I’ve given up on SRF with their click bait, their false sales and never really any good deals like they used to have back previously. Shane did N excellent job with the e  commerce side. I had tons of people buying from them after I spoke so highly and shared foods. Now people ask ME what’s up with SRF this year with no real sales at ER they enjoyed previous good times. 

I usually spend lots during the holidays with with them, but would like to know if they plan to do something more than a pound of ground beef when you buy 100 bucks worth of steaks. 

We can only hope! Miss Shane’s Service and sales for sure. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    I miss Shane. 
  • What happened to Shane?
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited October 2017
    I heard he converted to veganism and is running a felafel stand somewhere.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Mmmmm...falafel.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• FATC1TY said:
    Yeah, I won’t lie. I’ve given up on SRF with their click bait, their false sales and never really any good deals like they used to have back previously. Shane did N excellent job with the e  commerce side. I had tons of people buying from them after I spoke so highly and shared foods. Now people ask ME what’s up with SRF this year with no real sales at ER they enjoyed previous good times. 

I usually spend lots during the holidays with with them, but would like to know if they plan to do something more than a pound of ground beef when you buy 100 bucks worth of steaks. 

I agree totally with this. What’s even more annoying is when an SRF employee comes on here to blow smoke about how they hope to pick up where Shane left off. Too many other options out there.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    My totally uneducated guess is they used sales to build up name recognition and market share.  Now they have both, so don't need to do sales anymore.  Good on them.

They also had to take a beating last year with all the messed up shipping delays and spoiled meat.  I know I got 4 briskets for the price of 1, granted first two showed up 4 days late and warm.  Not their fault, but they still made ot right.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    @Ozzie_Isaac. Folks often forget the good work SRF did with all the shipping issues.  Even myself forgot the nightmare they much have experienced, I couldn’t imagine the thousands they lost, AND they made it right with no complaints.

Good call...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    I miss Shane. 

What ever happened to him? 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    johnnyp said:
    I miss Shane. 

I think he was only ever a consultant with SRF, as he owns Vaughan Consulting out of Boise. He was president of e-commerce for Agri Beef, which owns SRF. 

I have the feeling he was brought in to build the brand and online customer base with lots of sales. This led to   the brand blowing up on cooking forums and now that everyone is hooked on that sweet China white, they don't have to dangle carrots anymore since people can't stop chasing that dragon. Now we just see psuedo-sales that do the "up to x% off".
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    FATC1TY said:

I gave up on SRF when I ordered one of their $75 dollar Tri Tips and in return got one that weighed barely 1.75 lbs. - Never again, i work hard for my money. Fool me once ...
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • HeavyG
    johnnyp said:
    I miss Shane. 

I think he was only ever a consultant with SRF, as he owns Vaughan Consulting out of Boise. He was president of e-commerce for Agri Beef, which owns SRF. 

I have the feeling he was brought in to build the brand and online customer base with lots of sales. This led to   the brand blowing up on cooking forums and now that everyone is hooked on that sweet China white, they don't have to dangle carrots anymore since people can't stop chasing that dragon. Now we just see psuedo-sales that do the "up to x% off".

That's a little harsh. About a month ago they had a sale on some of their Kurobuta pork. I bought one of their whole boneless hams for just $61 instead of the normal $119. Also bought a couple packs of their Wagyu hot dogs. They were just a buck or two less than the normal price so no big savings there.

Like most businesses, I'm sure their pricing is driven in large part by supply/demand. If they get overloaded with inventory on some items they'll discount them to move them. If "parts" are scarce then big discounts are less likely.

Last years BOGO on briskets was a pretty spectacular deal and even tho I had never cooked a brisket before then it was too good to pass up. And I get that that probably spoiled many of us who want that same deal to happen again this year. Would it be great if they had the same BOGO deal this November? Absolutely! And If they don't? Oh well, maybe next year they'll plant extra brisket seeds and have a bumper crop of briskets and will need to cut prices to move them out the door.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• jetman96
    jetman96 Posts: 127
    So, what are some other good options for online meat? I tried D'Artagnan when they had a sale for 40% off some items. They seem to have a wider selection, but normal prices aren't any better/worse than SRF.
    Cincinnati, OH
    Large BGE
  • lousubcap
    @jetman96  If you have deep pockets give this site a look:
    https://www.lobels.com/  Too rich for me  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    jetman96 said:
    So, what are some other good options for online meat? I tried D'Artagnan when they had a sale for 40% off some items. They seem to have a wider selection, but normal prices aren't any better/worse than SRF.

Costco.

https://www.costco.com/Japanese-Wagyu-Boneless-Ribeye-Roast,-13-lbs.product.100311435.html

NOLA
  • HeavyG
    There are lots of online meat sellers.

One I've been thinking of trying is a bit different - https://www.moinkbox.com/ in that they sell combo boxes of a variety of items beef/chicken/lamb/salmon on a subscription basis.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    HeavyG said:
    johnnyp said:
    I miss Shane. 

That's a little harsh. About a month ago they had a sale on some of their Kurobuta pork. I bought one of their whole boneless hams for just $61 instead of the normal $119. Also bought a couple packs of their Wagyu hot dogs. They were just a buck or two less than the normal price so no big savings there.

Like most businesses, I'm sure their pricing is driven in large part by supply/demand. If they get overloaded with inventory on some items they'll discount them to move them. If "parts" are scarce then big discounts are less likely.

Last years BOGO on briskets was a pretty spectacular deal and even tho I had never cooked a brisket before then it was too good to pass up. And I get that that probably spoiled many of us who want that same deal to happen again this year. Would it be great if they had the same BOGO deal this November? Absolutely! And If they don't? Oh well, maybe next year they'll plant extra brisket seeds and have a bumper crop of briskets and will need to cut prices to move them out the door.
    Meh. When you get an email with a big 40% OFF and "up to" in small print, you get tired of it when most stuff is around 10% off and it's usually the cheap stuff with the good sale. I wasn't necessarily complaining, but that "up to" caveat is a recent development. I've only purchased brisket from them but I remember most sales were "25% off". The sales "look" better now, but I'd have to see if it's actually better now.

We are essentially saying the same thing, you just used less drug references  ;) 
  • Thanks to everyone posting their concerns. We promise that we are taking your thoughts and concerns into consideration – and we’ve directed our executives to look through this entire conversation. So if you have any more concerns, this will be a great thread to air them.

We don’t currently have plans for the spectacular deals, like the BOGO we offered last year, this holiday season. But we have plenty of deals we’re putting together. You’ll see similar, or better in some cases, discounts to hams and roasts that you have come to expect – and we’ve added even better rib roast and gifting  options for the holidays. We understand that it is frustrating to see sales and specials on items you are less interested in, but we are working our best to satisfy a lot of different groups with a lot of different preferences. We try to hold sales at times when certain cuts are the most popular. For briskets, we reserve times in the spring and summer to make sure they are available at a discount. Other parts of the year we reserve to try and make our customers who prefer steaks, pork, roasts or even stew meat – and you’d be surprised how many people are interested in stew meat. That’s not an excuse for making any of you feel alienated from us, it’s just a glimpse into how we try to balance the many needs we see.

As for what we do going forward: Please give us suggestions. Again, while it’s unlikely you’ll see deep discounts this holiday season as we have in the past for briskets, we are interested if there was any other part of how or when they go on sale, our service or any other aspect of our operation you’d like to see bettered. 

We really do value you as customers and want to do better. We appreciate the questions and the opportunity to discuss it with you.

Thanks again.
  • lousubcap
    That Brisket BOGO of 2016 that many are focused on was the first time (and likely the last based on issues beyond SRF's control) I had seen such an opportunity.  I appreciate that they are looking at this thread.  
    Disclaimer:  I am not affiliated with the company in any way but did take advantage of the brisket discount earlier this month.  FWIW-
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Moves of the past create expectations of the future.  It's just the way it is boys, and it is what this thread is really about.  SRF has to choose between two evils here.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Just noticed the roasts are back up and discounted somewhat well enough. Good move in the right direction. 

Id personally like to see more sales like this with the roasts and large cuts. Then do some steaks- I know a lot of folks get tired of the turkeys, crown roasts, and hams and sometimes it’s just a good steak for a quiet meal after the fuss of the holidays to set you straight. 

Briskets though. Don’t sell yourself short on the girl who brought you to the dance. 

Even make it a code only email thing for them and use your mailing database to that advantage. 

Will probably catch some folks off guard since we mostly just delete the emails now due to the faux sales. 

@SRF_Sean
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    I think most of us on this forum are focused on Briskets (which is expected). Hands down I think SRF is the best available (brisket, etc.) but as example Costco running at 2.79/lb for prime grade brisket. SRF is what.. ~$12/lb? 4x more expensive?  Great stuff, just not for the average man- Special occasion only for me. Can't blame SRF - they are successful while they can be. Not exactly huge competition at this quality level.  So each to his own comfort. I'm happy with Costco prime grade but I'll buy a SRF every once in a while.  

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Raymont said:
    I think most of us on this forum are focused on Briskets (which is expected). Hands down I think SRF is the best available (brisket, etc.) but as example Costco running at 2.79/lb for prime grade brisket. SRF is what.. ~$12/lb? 4x more expensive?  Great stuff, just not for the average man- Special occasion only for me. Can't blame SRF - they are successful while they can be. Not exactly huge competition at this quality level.  So each to his own comfort. I'm happy with Costco prime grade but I'll buy a SRF every once in a while.  
    Costco briskets have just now started showing up in areas of the country that historically didnt carry them. Butchers around here want $6-7lb+ for CAB or equivalent.  The delta between that and the $8-9lb avg for SRF (always buy at least two to get the volume discount and save on shipping) is worth it all day long. 
  • lousubcap
    I have been recently disappointed with the butcher end result of the Costco prime briskets.  The level of work to leave additional fat and absence of any attempt to trim the silver-skin is disappointing.  But for the routine brisket fix it is still the best game in town.
    However,  when I want to truly enjoy brisket, SRF to the rescue.  Saturday (maybe Sunday-TBD) after Thanksgiving is next up.  Great post-turkey purge.  
  • Find a good local meat market?

Ain't she pretty? Marbled like a piece of quarter sawn oak.
    Gittin' there...
  • I've made some wagyu purchases from Lone Mountain Wagyu during some of their sales and have been very pleased with their quality and sale prices.