Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tips on moving two eggs

I'm moving two eggs (one is a large, the other is an xl) from our current house to our new place. It's about a two hour drive mostly on the highway. The current plan is to remove the guts and tie them down tight as hell in the back of the Tacoma. I've got a pot lifter to get them in and out of the truck. Just wondering if there are any other tips or tricks to doing this properly. I'd really hate to put a crack in the new XL the wife just picked up for me!

One thing I've been debating is wether or not I should put a towel in between the bases and the lids to help absorb some of the vibrations to prevent chipping. 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited October 2017
    I would strap the domes tight to the bases and not rely on a shock absorber.  And a landing zone check (based on BB of April 2017), check the tightness/torque of your dome and band assemblies once at your final destination before moving from the truck.  
    I believe it was @tarheelmatt 's LBGE that demonstrated a true miracle when after transport, the dome decided to leave the band assembly when being off-loaded for the event.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I haul my small and mini all the time. I just put cardboard between the inner parts and shims between the inner and outer parts.  With the small I'll ratchet strap the dome to the base.  The mini goes in a cooler and the small on a double folded towel in the bed of my Tacoma     

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I just moved my XL. Pull the guts first. Then pull the springs off and loosen the bottom band only. Pull the dome and bands off in one piece. Secure for the ride and reassemble when you get to your new place. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    lousubcap said:
    I would strap the domes tight to the bases and not rely on a shock absorber.  And a landing zone check (based on BB of April 2017), check the tightness/torque of your dome and band assemblies once at your final destination before moving from the truck.  
    I believe it was @tarheelmatt 's LBGE that demonstrated a true miracle when after transport, the dome decided to leave the band assembly when being off-loaded for the event.  FWIW-
    Lou, you're close.  

At BB, I just left my Eggs on my trailer as we cooked at various locations in the campground. 

@JRWhitee and @bgebrent were prepping my large for a SRF brisky, while on the trailer. 

Jim, opened the dome, while on the trailer, and the dome fell from 5-6' to the ground, missing a picnic table and the driver side fender.  It landed gently on the ground and didn't bust.  

Crazy.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    lousubcap said:
    Lou, you're close.  

At BB, I just left my Eggs on my trailer as we cooked at various locations in the campground. 

@JRWhitee and @bgebrent were prepping my large for a SRF brisky, while on the trailer. 

Jim, opened the dome, while on the trailer, and the dome fell from 5-6' to the ground, missing a picnic table and the driver side fender.  It landed gently on the ground and didn't bust.  

Crazy.  
    Jim who?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    lousubcap said:
    Lou, you're close.  

Crazy.  
    Jim is a lid killa! 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • DoubleEgger
    edited October 2017
    lousubcap said:
    Lou, you're close.  

Crazy.  
    You forgot to mentioned missing me by about a foot. 

Gently..... my azz. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    lousubcap said:
    Lou, you're close.  

Crazy.  
    Jim is a lid killa! 
    Jim was masticating that dome. Matt’s bands were loose!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • northGAcock
    Jim would Shirley not masticate in public.....even amongst friends 

• bgebrent
    I saw him masticate next to Scott’s Shirley in New Orleans. 
  • northGAcock
    bgebrent said:
    You guys were really getting crazy. 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    @ChillyWillis - just protect ceramic from bumping ceramic and you'll be good.  

And obiviously you don't want to act like Jim! 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    edited October 2017
    You taking your exchange knife with you ? :)
    Good luck with the move. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited October 2017
    bgebrent said:
    Scotty's Shirley was tight.  :o  Matt was pretty loose....

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You're more likely to break stuff taking it apart.  Just move it into your truck and strap it (especially the lid) down.  There are guys that drive all over with these in their food trucks.  

And don't drive like my brother.
    You're more likely to break stuff taking it apart.  Just move it into your truck and strap it (especially the lid) down.  There are guys that drive all over with these in their food trucks.  

Which one?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bgebrent
    JRWhitee said:

Which one?
    More apropos, don't drive like Carey!  At least on a bike.
  • gmac said:
    You taking your exchange knife with you ? :)
    Good luck with the move. 
    Hell yes I'm taking that with me! I use that thing every day. With just some simple upkeep it's still sharp as a razor, and I get a ton of comments on it when I use it to slice up a few racks of ribs with people over. 
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Something to consider:

i moved into the new New house and needed my egg moved. :) didn’t trust myself. 

So - my friend BOUGHT an egg and added moving MY BGE for me into the negotiation. 

Looks like youre getting another egg, my friend!! :)

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 261
    I just moved my XL. Pull the guts first. Then pull the springs off and loosen the bottom band only. Pull the dome and bands off in one piece. Secure for the ride and reassemble when you get to your new place. 

I did this when I moved mine last year.  By separating the dome from the base, I was able to move each piece by myself.  It is also easier to secure the two separate pieces than worrying about it coming apart during the move.
    Raleigh, NC
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    i dont take the parts out, i just fill it with lump, corrugated cardboard under the lid(i have no gasket) and strap the dome down. mines in a bouncy box trailer, you should have no problems in a soft riding tacoma. i put some cardboard under the base as well before strapping it down
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    How do you move 2 eggs? Very. Carefully.

Good tips already given above. If you plan to "grab it by the ****" by sticking your hand in the lower vent, make sure you're wearing work gloves. Or make sure you're uptodate with your tetanus shots. That metal will cut you. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Aren't there companies out there that do moving for you? :)
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    follow these steps and you should be good:

1. put egg on long piece of cardboard on the bed,  cardboard helps slide the egg to the front of the bed. you don't want the egg over the axle.
    2. take everything out of the egg and put in cab, not in bed.
    3. slide egg to front of bed, hinge forward (toward cab).  cardboard between egg and truck to prevent scratching.
    4 run a tie down (not bungee cord) over the handle and secure, does not have to be super tight but tight enough to hold egg in place and dome down.
    5 I would not put a pile of something really soft under the egg, as it would let the egg move around or vibrate.
    5.5 we use a bag of charcoal between egg and nest if nest in bed too.  nest near lift gate with wheels locked and bungee cords are ok. 
    6 pay a little more attention to road conditions as you drive, pot holes, speed bumps, sink holes and the like. 

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • northGAcock
    .The_Stache said:
    Rule number 1....get someone else to do it for you.

• DoubleEgger
    And they tear up your stuff in the process 
  • northGAcock
    And they tear up your stuff in the process 
    ....and pay for it if thy do.