Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where did this crack in my LBGE come from?

Options
2»

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Would be easier to link firebox failure imo. Neither is valid. The heat is a non factor as stated repeatedly. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,923
    Options
    Why is everyone harping on Kick Ash Basket??

Would this not apply to ALL replacement fire grates?  HighQue, Fishbones, TubroGrate, the ones we used to produce, homemade ones, etc??

EggHeads have been replacing the lower firegrates for 20+ yrs (even back when they were ceramic).  So why is everyone singling out KAB--the newest kid on the block?  Lot of people here had High-Ques......and they're the same on the bottom.

One thing to remember, there are a hell of a lot more Eggs out there now.  They got really popular starting about 5-6 yrs ago.  I would love to see the sales figures, but there are probably just as many (or 2x) as many eggs sold in the last 5 yrs as there were in the previous 35 yrs, cumulatively.   So, double the population and you double the amount of claims.
    Talk about a reply to a thread worthy of becoming a sticky note - then your reply is a WINNER for sure! Thank you for posting it!

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    My balls are touched....

i dont have any of those baskets and my base cracked. 

Infact I’m trying to get my second ring and firebox warrantied. Finally in pieces and time to swap out. 

Crap happens sometimes 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    sandwich crack dave chappelle chappelle show tyrone biggums GIF

Oh, that crack.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • CanDid
    CanDid Posts: 106
    Options

That’s exactly the problem right there. I haven’t seen anyone harping on the KAB, but for some reason everyone on this thread thought I was bashing it and responded with false claims and smart remarks without actually reading my comments. I-HAVE-A-KICK-ASH-BASKET-AND-I-LOVE-IT.

RRP stated he’s never had a base crack, yet others claim every base cracks no matter what (go figure). Some have claimed they never had any problems with their base until they removed the firegrate, which is what I was accused of heresy for warning others about.

It has become apparent from this thread that everyone has different experiences with their egg. I’m just glad that a few of you can share those experiences and have a debate with a little more class than others can.
    BGE XL
    NWArkansas
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,209
    Options
    CanDid said:

That’s exactly the problem right there. I haven’t seen anyone harping on the KAB, but for some reason everyone on this thread thought I was bashing it and responded with false claims and smart remarks without actually reading my comments. I-HAVE-A-KICK-ASH-BASKET-AND-I-LOVE-IT.

RRP stated he’s never had a base crack, yet others claim every base cracks no matter what (go figure). Some have claimed they never had any problems with their base until they removed the firegrate, which is what I was accused of heresy for warning others about.

It has become apparent from this thread that everyone has different experiences with their egg. I’m just glad that a few of you can share those experiences and have a debate with a little more class than others can.
    No one has ever accused us of having class.  That is saved for the French Cooking forums. ;)
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    The most ridiculous thread on the forum. And I have the science to prove it.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Aww man.  Is this another forum I'm not classy enough for?

Phoenix 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    That is a bogus claim.  I read a different thread that was more ridiculous.  This one is not even in the top 50.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    That is a bogus claim.  I read a different thread that was more ridiculous.  This one is not even in the top 50.
    C'mon now.  The ridiculous factor must breach the top 50.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    Options
    CanDid said:

No one has ever accused us of having class.  That is saved for the French Cooking forums. ;)
    Ozzie, u are wise beyond years years. 
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I had the same crack about 5 years ago using the standard equipment, dealer replaced it based on photos.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    Options
    I hate auto correct......Ozzie , u are wise beyond your years.... 
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    blasting said:

Wait where'd you get that gif of @theyolksonyou
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    blasting said:

Wait where'd you get that gif of @theyolksonyou
    That's no garage...
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    RRP said:
    I'm breaking my own promise to myself of never posting unless specifically being asked for my opinion...but to me this thread deserves input from eggers other than newbies.

I've been an egger for 17 years now with 4 eggs - two of which ( L & S ) which both have had a KAB for sometime now and neither have a grate under the KAB. I regularly do high temperature burn outs North of 1,000 degrees and I regularly do 600 to 700 degree sears

To date - I have NEVER had a cracked base. Also I'm only on my second fire box on both...in fact my replacement fire box on my work horse Small is still on  a shelf! Yuppers...17 years later!

These eggs are fired in kilns at temperatures in excess of 2,400 degrees so why do the naysayers think using a KAB LIKE I DO regularly is going to destroy their BBE?

off the soap box...
    Ron....this is the Internet. Your help, support and recipes have been a value to many on here including myself. Let it go and get back to posting. It is something you enjoy, and sometimes people see things from a different paradigm. Put it behind you and move on. The lay off was probably healthy. Let it be over. 

Robin
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow