Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Airport Recommendations

Options
Need to go near New Brunswick, New Jersey.  Is Newark an ok airport or is there others near that are better?
A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Need to go near New Brunswick, New Jersey.  Is Newark an ok airport or is there others near that are better?
    Ozzie......Newark Airport is an armpit (or at least it was the last time I was though there........no offense to any folks up that way). The area is highly confusing to navigate, and a very industrialized area around the airport. If you are on a tight schedule, consider going in earlier........Trenton NJ might be an alternative for you.....distance might be longer than Newark....but my sense is the traffic and convenience may be much less stressful.

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    I just went in and out of Newark this week.

My .02-
    Its a 30 min drive from Newark to Somerset, Franklin, New Brunswick at the right time of day using parkway.

United Terminal is way nicer, more TSA Staff to get you through the line.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,037
    Options
    Ozzie......Newark Airport is an armpit (or at least it was the last time I was though there........no offense to any folks up that way). The area is highly confusing to navigate, and a very industrialized area around the airport. If you are on a tight schedule, consider going in earlier........Trenton NJ might be an alternative for you.....distance might be longer than Newark....but my sense is the traffic and convenience may be much less stressful.

Thank you for the information.  Turns out Trenton is almost exactly the same distance from my destination.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    my rule with new jersey is to drive thru around 1 am and not stop =) do they have 1 am flights
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I fly in/out of Newark and drive around there.  I agree the immediate area is a bowl of spaghetti, but right after you leave the airport area you are OK.  GPS does fine (unlike Logan Airport - where you are in tunnels.)  Also, being a major hub - there are lots of options if your flight plans change.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    I've flown in and out of Newark several times over the past few years. It's not that bad. TSA lines were pretty short. It's an airport, not a resort destination. 
  • xfire_ATX
    Options
    Pro-tip- Returning a rental car at Newark- get the gas at the Grover Cleveland Service Area on the parkway, the one gas station by the airport is in the wrong place to make it easy to return a rental car.

And dont forget you cant pump your own gas in NJ so leave some extra time for the lines.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    Pro-tip- ....

And dont forget you cant pump your own gas in NJ so leave some extra time for the lines.
    What!? Thanks for that tidbit.  Never heard of that before.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    Pro-tip- ....

Must be a union thing 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @DoubleEgger - actually it is a law that has been on the books since the late 40's-early 50's.  You are likely right regarding the driver for it.  Last time I used the Newark airport (mid 2015) I pumped my own gas when ready to return the rental-didn't give it a thought.  Of course when renting no one mentioned the law.  Not like they have anything else to deal with  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I had no idea it was against the law for you to pump your own gas in NJ. I remember when I was a kid there were full service stations everywhere around here, and now you have to look pretty hard to find one. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I had no idea it was against the law for you to pump your own gas in NJ. I remember when I was a kid there were full service stations everywhere around here, and now you have to look pretty hard to find one. 

Oregon too, IIRC.
    NOLA
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    buzd504 said:

Oregon too, IIRC.
    Yep. Only two states in the union. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Getting a checked bag at EWR is maybe the slowest on the planet.

But, there are much worse airports, like Laguardia.

@buzd504 I asked a guy pumping my gas in OR a few years ago why they have that law and he said with a totally straight face, I think they want just a few of us to get cancer.
  • xfire_ATX
    Options
    buzd504 said:

Oregon too, IIRC.
    Yeah I was in Oregon 2 weeks ago and this nice small lady came over and asked for my card.  Took 15 min to get $2.75 worth of gas.

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    Pro-tip- ....

Also left turns are a no-no, but your GPS should explain jughandles to you.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Acn said:
    xfire_ATX said:
    Pro-tip- ....

I think I might just get a car service.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Acn said:
    xfire_ATX said:
    Pro-tip- ....

I think I might just get a car service.
    Uber is all over NJ, no reason to rent a car unless you really want one.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Half moon turns for lefts.  Newark is a terrible area but the airport is fine. Not many hotel options worth a flip near the airport. Stay in Elizabeth- it’s as close to rental car spots and better location. 

If you do do end up staying in one of the airport hotels, restaurants are pretty thin. call the Spanish Tavern- they will pick you up and drop you back off and food is decent. 

Greensboro, NC
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I like the airport in Missoula Montana.  It's like your grandma's living room.  From where you get in your rental car, you can throw a rock and hit the plane you just came in on.  

@Ozzie_Isaac I don't think they filmed The Office in New Jersey. If that was what you are going for,  maybe I saved you some time and money.  :wink:
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    buzd504 said:

Oregon too, IIRC.
    Nevada must've changed their law.

Its been too long ago, me & Newark, to provide good advice but I do have a good story.
    Landed fairly late at night, had a TDY to someplace in Penn (Air Force sent you cheapest route, not quickest).  Rental car agency was OUT of maps (this was way before GPS, or even cell phones).  Budget lady scrawled out directions onto a napkin and gave them to me.  Got a Cadillac as they were out of subcompacts.  
    This was one of my first TDYs, and (iirc) my first "solo" trip.
    Twenty minutes later: scared-looking white Dakota farmkid driving a Cadillac with a Budget sticker is in the WRONG part of Newark, and starting to run red lights and speed to find a way out. Finally got onto some highway, drove for a bit (south, east, who knew?) then pulled into a large gas station and bought a damn map, also got somewhat clearer instructions and eventually got to my destination.  
    The gods gave me a break on the way back; daylight, thought I'd taken a wrong turn, did a U-turn in, hey!, the parking lot of Budget Newark!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Botch said:
    buzd504 said:

Oregon too, IIRC.
    Nevada must've changed their law.

Its been too long ago, me & Newark, to provide good advice but I do have a good story.
    Landed fairly late at night, had a TDY to someplace in Penn (Air Force sent you cheapest route, not quickest).  Rental car agency was OUT of maps (this was way before GPS, or even cell phones).  Budget lady scrawled out directions onto a napkin and gave them to me.  Got a Cadillac as they were out of subcompacts.  
    This was one of my first TDYs, and (iirc) my first "solo" trip.
    Twenty minutes later: scared-looking white Dakota farmkid driving a Cadillac with a Budget sticker is in the WRONG part of Newark, and starting to run red lights and speed to find a way out. Finally got onto some highway, drove for a bit (south, east, who knew?) then pulled into a large gas station and bought a damn map, also got somewhat clearer instructions and eventually got to my destination.  
    The gods gave me a break on the way back; daylight, thought I'd taken a wrong turn, did a U-turn in, hey!, the parking lot of Budget Newark!  

Lol!  I have an irrational fear of New York and New Jersey.  Your story reinforces that.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,896
    Options
    Used to live in New Brunswick and have rational fear about it. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    The best view of New Jersey/New York is the one from the rear view mirror. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Due to low man on trip, airport was chosen for me.  Holy cow, Newark is a nightmare to navigate, both inside and out.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Due to low man on trip, airport was chosen for me.  Holy cow, Newark is a nightmare to navigate, both inside and out.
    I told you...just busting on ya. It really is a mess. Make the best of it....there is some good Italian in that part of the state.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Reads like you at least escaped the airport.  Home-free now (til you return...).
    Does low -man mean you are the duty driver as well?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Reads like you at least escaped the airport.  Home-free now (til you return...).
    Does low -man mean you are the duty driver as well?
    Yup, driver also.

Did escape the airport, took a few tries.  Also ate at "Spanish Tavern".  Food was ok, not my first choice, but the restraunt I wanted was closed today.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    edited November 2017
    Options
    The best view of New Jersey/New York is the one from the rear view mirror. 
    Atlanta is high on my list of places like that.  NJ is very high too, but not NY.  It’s one of the great cities on the planet - New York, New York; city so nice they named it twice.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    How can you not love Manhattan?