Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Double sided tape - metal to ceramic tile....

Options
I would like to avoid drilling holes in my ceramic tile (between counter top and upper cabinets. I have a very strong magnet knife bar I would like to hang. Inside application with Some exposure to  grease vapors, steam and cooking environmental influences. 15 inch long weighing in at about 5 pounds stand alone. Any learnings / warnings out there with heavy weight double sided tape .... applicable to these two surfaces? Recommendations or products to avoid? Appreciate in advance. 
Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    1-1.5 hours per pound at 275.  Pecan wood intermingled with Rockwood.  Guaranteed winner.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    1-1.5 hours per pound at 275.  Pecan wood intermingled with Rockwood.  Guaranteed winner.
    I respectfully disagree. 2-2.5 hours per pound at 225 and cherry wood intermingled with Rockwood. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bgebrent
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    bgebrent said:
    I respectfully disagree. 2-2.5 hours per pound at 225 and cherry wood intermingled with Rockwood. 
    I'm just glad to see Robin working in any capacity.  Rare air.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I wouldn't - no matter what it's rated to. I'd be worried about someone other than myself getting hurt.

puff puff pass Brent?

Phoenix 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Robin, my sister moved into a rented apt and had
    to use this one. (Link at bottom). It seems to hold well but that concerns me as well going on backsplash with tile. Especially with toddlers. So I'm drilling mine between the grout lines.  

But, to play devils advocate here is hers loaded down. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6IVNGF/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_9mJ2zb6VVKFHM

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• bgebrent
    Options
    blasting said:

I wouldn't - no matter what it's rated to. I'd be worried about someone other than myself getting hurt.

puff puff pass Brent?

No way on DS tape.  Even a gamecock knows that.  Drill the holes with ceramic bits. Make sure Maddie's in the house.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Get the right bit, anchors, and drill.
    Tape it for traction.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    I hang photos with 3M command strips. While I know the strips are available in a variety of weight ratings I do not think I can recommend them for a knife bar.  

Secondary note: I found my metal knife bar was scratching my knives, so I made a few out of wood.  It turns out there is a demand for such things.  

B
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    +1 drill it.  Go slow and be patient.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Pull a permit.  Hire a contractor.  Get it inspected.  You got this.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I used these for several years at my old house mounted to drywall and for several years now at my new house mounted to glass and metal tile and it would be work to get it off. When I took the magnet down at the old house it took drywall with it. Don't remember the weight rating I used but they were just the heaviest Home Depot had. I put one on each corner and one top and bottom in the middle. You don't need to drill. https://www.amazon.com/Command-Picture-Hanging-Strips-Damage-Free/dp/B01N0X6SA5/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1508412032&sr=8-14&keywords=velcro+command+strips
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    You are smoking something other than pecan brother Brent.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Double sided tape, in our evaluations, work very well with clean, properly prepared, attachment surfaces. However, it is typically not a long term solution.
    Ceramic to metal will be a challenge for a permanent application. Adding the weight, you have in those ultra high end knives, will have its effect over time.
    Any time metal is part of the process, in an environment that introduces dynamic heat fluctuation, the expansion and contraction will play a role in the longevity of the adhesion.
    Depending on the type of adhesion, steam or water vapor will also become a long term factor to consider as well.
    You have a beautiful home, a palatial estate, actually. Take the necessary steps, using a properly sized drill bit specifically designed to engage ceramic, and use the double sided tape to help hold it in place.
    I am relieved you chose not to utilize duct tape. There was some concern.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Double sided tape, in our evaluations, work very well with clean, properly prepared, attachment surfaces. However, it is typically not a long term solution.
    Ceramic to metal will be a challenge for a permanent application. Adding the weight, you have in those ultra high end knives, will have its effect over time.
    Any time metal is part of the process, in an environment that introduces dynamic heat fluctuation, the expansion and contraction will play a role in the longevity of the adhesion.
    Depending on the type of adhesion, steam or water vapor will also become a long term factor to consider as well.
    You have a beautiful home, a palatial estate, actually. Take the necessary steps, using a properly sized drill bit specifically designed to engage ceramic, and use the double sided tape to help hold it in place.
    I am relieved you chose not to utilize duct tape. There was some concern.

Ron......Why I just didn't send you a private message and inquire directly is beyond me. It had to be a senior moment.

I appreciate the advice....and really don't want to drill holes....but that seems to be the consensus here. The non permanent effect was what I was going after. I should probably not fret much....cause the holes would be the next persons problem (should I move or expire) and reality is......I could always leave the bar with the house.

• CanDid
    CanDid Posts: 106
    Options
    Not sure what the width of your grout lines are (1/4" ???), but do as @Killit_and_Grillit suggested and mount the bar in the grout with a 1/4" masonry bit and plastic anchors. No damage to the tile and the holes can be easily concealed with matching caulk if you decide to remove the bar.

If you're still uneasy about drilling into your grout, do a temporary mount with one of the suggested adhesion applications for a few weeks until you determine if that is really what you want and where you want it, then drill the holes for a more permanent solution.
    BGE XL
    NWArkansas
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    3M VHB tape is amazing stuff. Make sure both surfaces are completely clean and grease free and have at it.

A knife bar isn't thick/deep enough to create much of a lever arm so it is not going to twist away from the wall. I believe most of the VHB tapes have a tensile strength of about 100 pounds per lineal inch. You're just not going to be putting enough knives on that bar to create a problem.

I wouldn't be concerned about what little steam or heat it might be exposed to having an effect on the tape. I'd be more concerned about steam rusting any non-stainless knives.

However, I do agree with the others that say that putting anchors in the grout might be the better approach. If you decide to relocate your knife bar later it is pretty easy to repair the grout. If you were to try and pull the knife bar off the wall having used the 3M VHB tape you might actually pull a tile right off the wall with it.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Silicone is a great adhesive and will serve this purpose fine. I believe GE makes a 100% silicone clear adhesive called Iron Grip.