Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Added bonus of the forum

Options
JMCXL
JMCXL Posts: 1,524
i never used Cast Iton Pan until joining the forum. I currently have an assortment of about 6 different ones. My go to is a 10” that I use everyday, it is so simple to clean (hot water and a paper towel) no matter what I use it for. Hoping to get a 17” and 12” for Christmas and then I will be all set. Thanks for the heads up on CI , my new best friend...
Northern New Jersey
 XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    If you treat it right...it will take care of you forever! Enjoy.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    I've got my grandmother's cast iron skillets that she used as a military cook in the 40's.  Then she married granddad and moved onto a farm and cooked bacon and sausage (homemade) daily in them for another 40+ years.  These things will be feeding my great-grandchildren!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Cooktop, oven, grill, campfire, CI is versatile and cheap.  I'm glad you see its virtues both in, and out of, the kitchen.

Another versatile tool is an enamel CI dutch oven.  Found my first one at a Cabela's bargain cave for cheap, Lodge 6 qt, $29.99.

Lodge makes good egg quality ones in most colors for $50.  Mine is two-tone brown, the smoke stains blend in nicely.

It's hard to tell any difference in performance vs the LeCreuset ones I use.  I highly recommend the bargain Lodge.

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-EC6D33-Enameled-Dutch-6-Quart/dp/B000N4WN08/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508215067&sr=8-1&keywords=lodge+dutch+oven+blue
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    @JMCXL

We have certainly enjoyed ours through the years, in fact, we have one that never leaves the stove top.

I have to smile, from time to time, reading about the new found discovery of these amazing, yet versatile, cooking devices.

Growing up in the shadows of Appalachia, in spartan and humble childhood, it was all you had. Gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches were a treat, unequalled in many a poor child's diet.

Cast Iron was the very first thing I learned to cook with. As a walking, bottomless pit, country boy, I was such a pest always wanting a grilled cheese sandwich. That is how I started cooking.

In our home, we have 2 Dutch ovens, a griddle, and several different sized pans. 
    Just like the MM, we take them with us whenever we go camping.

I am hoping you will enjoy them, as we have, and no truer words were ever said, than those by Robin @northGAcock: "If you treat it right...it will take care of you forever! Enjoy."

He is one of my most favorite and wise old hippies of my life, and a good man, too.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    @JMCXL

We have certainly enjoyed ours through the years, in fact, we have one that never leaves the stove top.

I have to smile, from time to time, reading about the new found discovery of these amazing, yet versatile, cooking devices.

Growing up in the shadows of Appalachia, in spartan and humble childhood, it was all you had. Gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches were a treat, unequalled in many a poor child's diet.

Cast Iron was the very first thing I learned to cook with. As a walking, bottomless pit, country boy, I was such a pest always wanting a grilled cheese sandwich. That is how I started cooking.

In our home, we have 2 Dutch ovens, a griddle, and several different sized pans. 
    Just like the MM, we take them with us whenever we go camping.

I am hoping you will enjoy them, as we have, and no truer words were ever said, than those by Robin @northGAcock: "If you treat it right...it will take care of you forever! Enjoy."

He is one of my most favorite and wise old hippies of my life, and a good man, too.
    Dude.....you need to stop with the Slushie drinking before going to work. JKOC....your words are most kind. You my friend.....are the bomb.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Focker said:
    Cooktop, oven, grill, campfire, CI is versatile and cheap.  I'm glad you see its virtues both in, and out of, the kitchen.

Another versatile tool is an enamel CI dutch oven.  Found my first one at a Cabela's bargain cave for cheap, Lodge 6 qt, $29.99.

Lodge makes good egg quality ones in most colors for $50.  Mine is two-tone brown, the smoke stains blend in nicely.

It's hard to tell any difference in performance vs the LeCreuset ones I use.  I highly recommend the bargain Lodge.

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-EC6D33-Enameled-Dutch-6-Quart/dp/B000N4WN08/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508215067&sr=8-1&keywords=lodge+dutch+oven+blue
    @Focker Do you find the 6qt to be big enough or wish you had gone bigger? I'm looking for one myself. Thanks 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    My, God. A 17-inch skillet? I would be hard pressed to lift it with one hand, though you might be considerably stronger.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Focker
    edited October 2017
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Focker said:

@Focker Do you find the 6qt to be big enough or wish you had gone bigger? I'm looking for one myself. Thanks 
    The 6 is just right.  Mine range anywhere from 3, 5, 6, and 8 qts.
    I have a #12 Lodge 8 qt, but use the 6s 90% of the time.
    Yeah, you can go bigger, but you can feed many pieholes with a 6.  I do a 3-4lb chuck pepper stout beef in the 6 just fine too.  

I'm not sure Lodge even makes an 8 qt in enamel?  Le Creuset does, but you're talkin' 4 bills for a DO.  My mom's red 6 qt Le Creuset is my most coveted DO.  It is delegated to cooktop/oven duty for sentimental reasons, as that is where she used it growing up, and that is where it seems to shine.
    Although pricey, LC is a worthy investment IMO.  They are the best....a French Griswold.

For your first DO V, and egg/kitchen use, go with enamel, 6 or 8 qt.

If you want to Cowboy/Scout cook with live fire, get the reg iron with legs, #12 8 qt. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited October 2017
    Options
    jlsm said:
    My, God. A 17-inch skillet? I would be hard pressed to lift it with one hand, though you might be considerably stronger.
    Valid point.  They are beasts, empty.  Was dead set on filling the Griswold skillet void with a #14 skillet.  At the time, they were around $200.  Found a couple 15" Lodge CS paella pans on clearance for $30 each, to fill those #12,13,14 voids.  Two large D loop handles, much, much, lighter, tapered walls are more user friendly.  Ended up being a good decision all around.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Focker said:
    WeberWho said:
    Focker said:

The 6 is just right.  Mine range anywhere from 3, 5, 6, and 8 qts.
    I have a #12 Lodge 8 qt, but use the 6s 90% of the time.
    Yeah, you can go bigger, but you can feed many pieholes with a 6.  I do a 3-4lb chuck pepper stout beef in the 6 just fine too.  

I'm not sure Lodge even makes an 8 qt in enamel?  Le Creuset does, but you're talkin' 4 bills for a DO.  My mom's red 6 qt Le Creuset is my most coveted DO.  It is delegated to cooktop/oven duty for sentimental reasons, as that is where she used it growing up, and that is where it seems to shine.
    Although pricey, LC is a worthy investment IMO.  They are the best....a French Griswold.

For your first DO V, and egg/kitchen use, go with enamel, 6 or 8 qt.

If you want to Cowboy/Scout cook with live fire, get the reg iron with legs, #12 8 qt. 
    Thanks @Focker for the explication. I think I'll go with the 6qt. Chili season is near and would like to upgrade my $8 walmart stockpot. I've also been day dreaming of Mollys lasagna. A dutchoven would help push the process along.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • kv1963
    kv1963 Posts: 6
    Options
    The Lodge foundry is rite across the street from my business know the owners very well I work on their vehicles all the time good people and a good product their outlet store sells Big Green Egg that is where I purchased mine their outlet is full of their products if any of you are ever in the area it would be worth while to stop and check it out    
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    I have many skillets and dutch ovens in my collection.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    jlsm said:

Its currently on the farm in KY, but grandma had a 20 or 24 inch skillet.  D-ring type handles.  Weighs a freakin ton, but I love that thing.  Its on the list of things to get from the barn the next time I am up there!

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    And goto YouTube and look up Jeff Rodgers.  He is THE cast iron guru and another good ole GA resident.  He's got some great tips for care and maintenance, seasoning, and cooks in cast iron.  Jeff is a great guy and I am proud to call him a friend!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i have the 17, its too big for even the wok burner on my stove top. its better outside on a bigburner like for turkey frying etc. its not great on a stove top, the heat is too centered to the middle of the pan.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JMCXL
    Options
    jlsm said:
    it has 2 handles, to be used on my XL
    Northern New Jersey

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Follow me on Facebook 

• JMCXL
    Options

i have the 17, its too big for even the wok burner on my stove top. its better outside on a bigburner like for turkey frying etc. its not great on a stove top, the heat is too centered to the middle of the pan.
    thanks for the feedback, I have not seen it in person only on Amazon. might rethink it...
    Northern New Jersey

Follow me on Facebook 

• Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    Just saw an episode of America's Test Kitchen, and they were singing the praises of high carbon steel pans. Same care, lighter weight, similar performance. I may have to look into that option...

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories