Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bruschetta with Feta Appetizer Recipe?

Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,050
Having a business gathering this week and I'm looking for recommendations if anyone has a good recipe for bruschetta. I want to incorporate feta cheese along with it.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I tried one recipe for a skillet feta earlier tonight and my wife and I were underwhelmed. TIA.  

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You don't really need a recipe as much as, and the process is fairly simple, getting really good, fresh ingredients and staying true to the classic preparation. 

Feta doesn't melt or stick to bread worth a damn, so If you're going to add it, add it fresh after grilling the bread.  Consider other, Italian hard cheeses.  Nothing wrong with feta though.
    edited October 2017
    Francis Mallmann has an excellent app using grilled bread, burnt tomatoes, anchovies, herbs, acid, garlic, and goat cheese.  Between the charred tomato, anchovy umami, bright punch from the herbs and garlic, the spread of creamy goat cheese brings it all together.  And as a bonus, it would protect the bread from sogging up if you're prepping before going into work.

Each time I've done this app, it gets destroyed.   It is, hands down, my favorite app.  The key ingedient is quality anchovies, oil immersed.  A thin line of anchovy paste striped down the middle or dotted two times for each bite, would suffice in a pinch.  And you could do two dishes, some sans stripe or dots, for the anchovy haters.

Have posted this "Seven Fires" recipe several times in the last few years.

https://huntingchef.com/2011/11/22/burnt-tomato-goat-cheese-and-anchovy-bruschetta/

I was excessive, adding shaved parm and calabrian chiles to the herbs for its wonderful smokey heat.
    A party in your mouth, no doubt.

Standard Americanized whole milk mozz approach would be my second rec.  Tomato, mozz, basil, classic killer combo.

I like cheese on bruschetta personally, but it's not required.  In Italy, cheese is not used.  Grilled day old bread, garlic smear, tomato herb marinated in EVOO, even cooked in it, then added to the bread as you eat.  A good friend, uses this approach.  It's damn good too.

So in reality, all of this extra is improve-ising on a classic.  The master, Mallmann, nailed it. 

Feta may not be the best use here.   :)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• I've got a Sizzling Feta skillet recipe with homemade pesto and sun dried tomatoes. It has a really great flavor to it. 

• Dyal_SC
    I've got a Sizzling Feta skillet recipe with homemade pesto and sun dried tomatoes. It has a really great flavor to it. 

Yours is actually the recipe I tried last night.

http://www.biggreencraig.com/sizzling-feta.html

Thought it needed more tomato, which is why I was thinking to make it bruschetta-like. This pic has much more sundried tomatoes than your original recipe calls for. I may make it again with more sundried tomatoes then like your pic suggests. Thx. 

• Dyal_SC said:
    I've got a Sizzling Feta skillet recipe with homemade pesto and sun dried tomatoes. It has a really great flavor to it. 

Yours is actually the recipe I tried last night.

http://www.biggreencraig.com/sizzling-feta.html

Thought it needed more tomato, which is why I was thinking to make it bruschetta-like. This pic has much more sundried tomatoes than your original recipe calls for. I may make it again with more sundried tomatoes then like your pic suggests. Thx. 

It's an old recipe. I should probably update the qtys. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    edited October 2017
    Keep it simple. Garlic rubbed toasts, black olive or green-black mix, red onion, feta, pepperocinis finish with oil   
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited October 2017
    bgebrent said:
    Keep it simple. Garlic rubbed toasts, black olive or green-black mix, red onion, feta, pepperocinis finish with oil  
    ---Nichole

she he forgot her signature. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent said:
    ---Nichole 

she he forgot her signature. 
    Thanks for the correction!
  • Dyal_SC
    bgebrent said:
    Do you warm the spread on the toast, or layer it on after the bread comes off the grill?  
  • bgebrent
    Layer after toasting.  Rub the garlic on the toasted bread after grilling.