Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best temp control gadgets

Options
gabbydee
gabbydee Posts: 4
Hi! what is the best temperature control equipment for the BGE? I'm trying not to spend a fortune. 

I want to be able to cook a brisket like a pro. 

Comments

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Options
    I seriously love my FlameBoss 200.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    Options
    I agree with @lousubcap,  learning to control manually first may prove beneficial in the future. Also, asking which temp controller is best is almost as dangerous as asking which charcoal to use! 
    That said, I love my flameboss!
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Flameboss for the win!
  • gabbydee
    Options
    we have had the BGE for over a year now. we struggle keeping temp. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I have been happy with my Smobot, for what it's worth. No experience with Flameboss, but based on the fans on here I'm sure you can't go wrong with that, either. If you are interested in learning to successful use the BGE without a controller, feel free to run down your process and hopefully we can get this straightened out.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited October 2017
    Options
    gabbydee said:
    we have had the BGE for over a year now. we struggle keeping temp. 
    Interesting, are you using enough lump, are you fiddling with the bottom and top vents a lot, opening the top a bunch? My medium will hold temps for hours with no hands on or controllers. Is your firebox opening lined up with the lower vent?
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    Depending on how I light it, and there IS a learning curve, my XL ends up at 350 to 400 before putting anything ON.    Even a couple ears of water-soaked corn drop the temp as will various amounts of meat.      Getting it ramped up for PIZZA is fairly easy, too, but watch for overshoot.    
    I'm still working on learning how to get it <300 for a low/slow.  
  • CanDid
    CanDid Posts: 106
    Options
    I'll give :plus_one: for the Smobot, although I too have had no experience with the Flameboss.
    BGE XL
    NWArkansas
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    I have the Flameboss 300 and really happy with it.  I had the Digi q that big green egg sells and never used it and didn't enjoy it.  wife got me the flame boss and I couldn't be happier.  the people I work with are happy also, I can keep an eye on things from the office and bring in stuff on Fridays.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Kent8621 said:
    I have the Flameboss 300 and really happy with it.  I had the Digi q that big green egg sells and never used it and didn't enjoy it.  wife got me the flame boss and I couldn't be happier.  the people I work with are happy also, I can keep an eye on things from the office and bring in stuff on Fridays.
    Never used it and didn't enjoy it.

Well...ok then.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Always tempting to buy new toys, but I'd rather spend the money on meat. Both my Eggs (MMX & XL) hold temperature fine once you get used to them.
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Get a wifi capable controller. Nothing like keeping tabs on, and adjusting pit temps on a brisket using your phone while out running errands or at work.
    Gittin' there...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    ive been comfortable stabilizing it between 220 and 250, where ever it wants to sit, tossing it in, checking in 6 hours, make a tiny adjustment up or down, and leaving it unchecked for another 6 to 8 hours.  watching it cook from afar seems like pure craziness =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    You don't need one.......but you didn't need an Egg, a smart phone, or power windows on your car either.  Yes, learn how to use the Egg manually; but after you get a controller, most will wonder why  (not how) they egg'ed without it.  They're fun, easy, and almost foolproof.

That being said, if you get one, get a Flame Boss.  I've owned and been a dealer for all of them, FB is hands down the best algorithm for BGE's, easiest interface, and best customer support around (on the off-chance you actually need it.)  These guys are all about the Egg......saw Michael and Jeff at Eggtoberfest on Saturday!
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Kent8621 said:
    Never used it and didn't enjoy it.

Well...ok then.

I guess I had it reversed, sorry I math not English for a living.  I didn't like it therefore never used it.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• SandyHookEgger
    Options
    I use Rockwood. Isn’t it self controlling?