Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Odd question.

Options

Odd question I know, I have cooked a lot of pork shoulders (bone in, maybe 30ish) and have never really looked at or have been concerned about the dimensions. What I am looking for is the rough height. My concern is that I am in the planning stages of building a smoker (with some guidance from SGH who I had the pleasure of talking to) and I am only going to have 5 to 5 ½” between the shelves. I know this is going to be a tight fit. Does anyone have a few in their fridge or freezer that can get an average height? I know they are all different. They don't carry them off the shelf in my local stores, my butcher friend is on Vacation, and I figure there would be plenty of people on here that may know off the top of their head. (rough guess is L,10" / W,8" / H,5".

Thanks in advance.

County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'm about to go buy one on the way home and can measure then.
    If you don't want to wait call my butcher.
    Patton's Meat Market - (770) 495-0077

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    I'm about to go buy one on the way home and can measure then.
    If you don't want to wait call my butcher.
    Patton's Meat Market - (770) 495-0077

I can wait, thanks. If you don't mind, just need a good average. I am hoping I am wrong and they are all roughly 4 1/2 in height or so.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Your rough guess I think is close and they will shrink during cooking.  SGH should be able to advice you on this since has cooked a few in his day, bit if you went to 6" I would think you are ok for sure.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    Your rough guess I think is close and they will shrink during cooking.  SGH should be able to advice you on this since has cooked a few in his day, bit if you went to 6" I would think you are ok for sure.

He said it shouldn't be an issue. However I am still curious on the average height to see if I am squeezing these in, or if I will still have some good air flow around them. I don't want to go 6", that will only leave me less room on the top shelf. 12" Total. I'll be talking to SGH again soon on a few design questions as well. Great guy!
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Based on the title, I thought this was going to be about an itch or a burning sensation. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you have the luxury of making them adjustable....
    Options
    I have 5 1/2” between the racks on my gravity feed smoker and haven’t had any issues with butts fitting.  Looking at this pic, I think if you have at least 5” that should be enough.  

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Here are two measurements (both frozen):
    7 lbs-4 1/4" in height.
    9.5 lbs - 4 3/4" in height.  Both are bone-in butts.
    I agree with @R2Egg2Q above.  Enjoy the project.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    Perfect! Thanks everyone.