Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Turkey Roaster pan

Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
This year we’re having thanksgiving at our house. Usually I smoke a bird on the egg and bring it to wherever we’re having it. This year we’re going for a straight up roast and we’ve needed a turkey pan so I picked one up. I got the a big old Graniteware rectangular one with a lid. My question is, should I put a roast/rib rack inside to place the turkey on it just put it flat on the bottom of the pan?

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2017
    I would float it for air circulation.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I prefer a rack. I use a V rack that gets it up out of the pan. The rack will help with more even browning.  FWIW I start it off breast down and flip it over approximately 1/2 way through cooking.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    We prefer to use a rack. I am a big fan of turkey roasters. This is a turkey cannon. You fill the center post with wine, lemons, herbs, etc. and slide the turkey on it. It stays elevated for excellent heat and smoke circulation.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    definitely want a rack to lift it and make sure you can still get at the basting liquid. dont know what pan you have but at roasting temps ive noticed that low sided pans cook quicker than the high sided pans, mines low sided and at 350 dome i get 12 min per pound
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Another vote for rack.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I don't think I can fit my bird in a pan and on a rack in the egg.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95