Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Green fat on frozen pork butt

Have had a couple of butts in the freezer since last fall. When I recently checked on them, they featured a lot of fat that had turned quite green. They have been continuously and thoroughly frozen since purchase.

What say you? I know the general consensus is to toss when questionable, but I also don't want to do so unecessarily; butts are hard to come by in my area and given the consistent freezing, I fail to see how this could be spoilage and am therefore inclined to proceed. 

Comments

• @Woodchunk: Thanks. Had seen that, but is it less than conclusive.
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited October 2017
    I agree, it was. The one common thing I found was this is most likely caused by light or air. In the freezer so no light so maybe a tiny hole in the package or on the seam. 

First st time I have seen this. Sounds like a preservative thing. Is it ok to eat, that's the ?
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    So, how did it smell when thawed?
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Zmokin said:
    So, how did it smell when thawed?
    Haven't yet thawed. I'm just planning ahead. 

I agree that a sniff test could be somewhat indicative though. 
  • *Bump*

Other thoughts?
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    There is no way I would eat that.
    Mountain View, CA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    maybe something in the solution added/enhanced, what does the label say about that. never seen anything turn green in the freezer, grey yes
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
    *Bump*

Other thoughts?
    I did not weigh in on this when you first posted but did have an opinion I just kept to myself as it is not based on any first hand experience. But, since you asked again, personally, I would toss it. I don't see any reason to take a chance. I had to visit the ER a few years ago for kidney stones and that little trip wound up being close to $1000. Now, I don't know if this would result in any food borne illness that would require an ER trip, but again, I would not take the chance.
    It could very well be it is nothing and you will be fine. I hope whatever you choose, you don't get sick over it.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I wouldn't eat it. It may be fine, but I wouldn't chance it. Let us know what you decide to do. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • chard
    chard Posts: 67
    Had the same thing on a Costco rack of pork last year.  When thawed it had that sulfer smell that I couldn't get to go away after a couple of rinses.  I ended up throwing it out under the better safe than sorry theory.   
    Eggin' with a Large and Small
    Twin Cities, MN
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669
    It is probably just the blood/liquids at the surface of the meat that oxidized.  Thaw it, rinse it and trim if required but I don’t see why it would not be good.

I would be very afraid that I would end up calling Ralph on the big white phone. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Maybe it's very new cheese... or very old meat. =)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT3BdhTyVXs

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Food doesn't go bad when frozen.  Looks like freezer burn.

Presumably you already know your freezer didn't fail during the period it was frozen.  Minerals will migrate through frozen meat.  I'm guessing this is similar to the green ring around an egg yolk after boiling. It's definitely not biological if it occurred while frozen.
  • Give some of it to your neighbor who borrowed some tools he didn't return. Just do it when his wife and kids are out of town, that way the innocent are not affected ! Just kidding, rinse, rinse, rinse then smell !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,357
    Standing by for hospital pics. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    If your assertion that there was never a freezer loss of power, I agree with Nola.  Trim, cook eat if there are no bag leaks or bad smell.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Just an update on this thread for anyone who might be interested. After soliciting some of your opinions about the odd colour of the butt pictures in the original post, I ultimately simply avoided the issue and let the pork shoulder sit in the freezer.

Today, I once again contemplated future use of the butt (for a get-together with friends this weekend) and removed the butt from the freezer for another inspection. In doing so, I recounted the scenario to my (incredibly intelligent) wife, and she suggested it could simply be the fluorescent lights in our back room. Accordingly, I took the frozen butts to an area featuring halogens and low and behold, the greenish hue turned a reassuring whiteish-gray. The discrepancy in colour caused by the lighting was really extremely profound.

Just wanted to share in case others come across this issue. 

Smoke on!
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I agree that a sniff test could be somewhat indicative though. 
    No.  Just plain no.  ALL of the scientists who have actually studied this agree, NO exceptions: the bacteria that cause a bad smell are NOT the ones that make you sick!  It can smell just fine and be absolutely deadly!
    • A bad smell IS a reason to throw it away, because if the spoilage bacteria have had a chance to grow that much, the dangerous ones may also have grown that much.
    • But the absence of a bad smell does NOT tell you it's safe to eat.  The bugs that make you sick or even kill you don't make food smell bad.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,642
     Sniff test has its place...
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I would be very afraid that I would end up calling Ralph on the big white phone. 
    I don’t have a white phone
    Large, Small, Mini Max & Mini.
    Wishlist XXL, XL & Medium 
  • So, I ate this thing yesterday (as did my family and guests) and we’re all still alive. At least I assume my friends are alive; I haven’t heard from them. 

Funny thing is, this was a butt that had sat in the freezer two years. After cooking, I FTC’d for 8 hours. Was easily my best ever butt. Incredibly tender, moist and not at all greasy. 

Moral of the story - green butts rock. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Moral of the story - green butts rock. 
    That’s what she said!