Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackstone Surface Temp

I have a 36" Blackstone griddle and I know several hundred eggers have one too. I haven't used it in awhile but there aren't any obstructions like wasp or spider nests that I can see.
I can only get the griddle temp to about 300*F as measured directly over the burner tubes. With 15000 BTU per burner, 60000 total,  seems it should get a lot hotter for searing steaks and such.
I measured with a surface temp gage and a couple of other reliable thermometers. They all read the same.
The tank is full and works well on all other propane appliances.
I can find any decent info about the regulator.
What psi should it be and will an aftermarket adjustable (0 to 30 PSI) work?
I also don't know if these regulators have any sort of excessive flow protection like I've heard about with the new propane grills. There's supposed to be some way to reset them if the grill won't get up to normal temps.
What surface temp are you folks getting with all 4 burners on high?
Thanks for any help ya'll can offer.

Comments

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    Yeah, I had the same problem, especially when the Blackstone would not light with the built in spark igniter. It is a safety thing with the regulator. I have started lighting mine with a match so it lights the first time.
    Here is a link that explains it better than I can. It is about gas grills, but same regulator.

http://community.homedepot.com/howto/DiscussionDetail/My-LP-Gas-Grill-wont-heat-up-like-it-used-to-Help-9065000000009jO

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I have the Blackstone 17" model, only 12,000 BTU, single H-burner. I just lit it (with an almost empty 1 lb Coleman cylinder) and after 5 minutes or so, reached 608° at the hottest spot I could find. In the corners, it was only in the 300s, but no surprise there.

I used the IR thermo from Thermoworks.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    If you go with an aftermarket regulator the is high psi, warm up slowly or you will warp the cook top.  Don't ask how I know....
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Yeah, I had the same problem, especially when the Blackstone would not light with the built in spark igniter. It is a safety thing with the regulator. I have started lighting mine with a match so it lights the first time.
    Here is a link that explains it better than I can. It is about gas grills, but same regulator.

http://community.homedepot.com/howto/DiscussionDetail/My-LP-Gas-Grill-wont-heat-up-like-it-used-to-Help-9065000000009jO

Thanks. I'll try that for the next Blackstone cook.
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Have you used an infrared laser thermometer to check temps? 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Seared some steaks tonight around 600f. Couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting much above 300 until I realized my thermo was set to C. LOL. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I just did some steaks I swapped to the adjustable regulator and was at 550 in a couple minutes on the IR thermo. Never checked the temps before I swapped regulators.
  • JohnH12
    stv8r - Yes. Two of them and a couple of analog surface temp gages made for just that purpose.

Lit - Which regulator do you have now?
  • JohnH12
    I just fired it up and did as suggested in the link epcotisbest posted. The burner flames were much higher. I watched as it pasted 450 and still rising so I turned all the burners to low for the breakfast cook.
    The griddle stabilized at 350 so I think the problem is solved. 
  • JohnH12
    As a final followup, here's what I received from Blackstone. It may come in handy for any who have a similar problem. It will probably work with any propane grill also.

Hello! 

Thank you for contacting us!

If your griddle is having trouble lighting correctly, here are a few suggestions to try:

1-The regulator has a safety mechanism that can be tripped. To reset the regulator, turn the griddle and your propane tank off. Then disconnect the regulator hose from the propane tank and let everything sit for 5-10 minutes. This allows the regulator to reset. When you turn on your griddle, turn on the tank first (do this gradually), and then your griddle burner(s). This should help keep the safety from engaging unnecessarily. Here is our Blackstone Products Regulator Reset video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er0sOanacDs 

2-If you’re still having trouble, check the air gates. There is a tiny silver screw at the front of each burner that you can loosen and slide the metal air gate more open or closed.  We prefer to have the air gate half closed.  Sometimes in wind, we close them a little more.  This adjusts the air to gas ratio.

3-One final suggestion I have is that you may have some sort of blockage in your burner tubes. You can solve this a few different ways-just pick what's easiest for you. You can use a coat hanger that has been straightened out with a hook at one end to clear any debris. You could also use a narrow bottle brush (don't use metal bristles), and use that to clean up any blockage. The third way is to use an air hose and blow out any blockage. *Use caution with this method and use safety glasses or goggles. 

If none of those things work, it is probably a regulator problem and we can easily send you out a new one if necessary.

A new regulator costs $20.00 and you would be able to call us to order one.

If there is anything else I can help with please let me know!

Have a wonderful day!

Mickell

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    Glad you got it straightened out, and thank you for the follow up.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102