Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco prime loin sale

DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Looks like I'll be stopping by Costco tomorrow. Sale until Sunday.

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Thanks for posting this. I will be going and getting one also.
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • Curious - Will you be cutting /freezing individual steaks or cooking whole?

Tampa, FL
  • I also greeted this with enthusiasm and plan to pick one up this weekend. I may cut in half or a third to cook whole and then slice the rest into steaks. Talk about first world problems.
    Stillwater, MN
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Nice! Perfect for dry aging!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Dwayne, was all over this with a planned run to Costco until N reminded me we have 20# of prime ribeye in the freezer and 8# dry aging.  Damn the bad luck.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited October 2017
    I'll be at Costco tomorrow morning @ 10:00am. FIRST IN LINE! Thank-you for the heads up.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Damn. I bought in  last time they did this. 

I may have have to load the kids up and drive into town for a refill or ribeye and strip loin 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Kitarkus
    Kitarkus Posts: 181
    How much will this cost?  How many steaks can you cut from this?
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    bgebrent said:
    Dwayne, was all over this with a planned run to Costco until N reminded me we have 20# of prime ribeye in the freezer and 8# dry aging.  Damn the bad luck.
    You gotta keep a constant rotation!   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    bgebrent said:
    I'll take that ribeye off of your hands so you can go get that strip. That's what friends do. 
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    So would this "beef loin top loin" be the same as New York strips?

I may have to make the trip...
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    GoooDawgs said:
    So would this "beef loin top loin" be the same as New York strips?

I may have to make the trip...
    Once you steak it out, yep.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Kitarkus said:
    $9.99 per pound, they are 12 - 14 pounds or so.  10 - 15 steaks, depending on thickness
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Kitarkus said:
    $9.99 per pound, they are 12 - 14 pounds or so.  10 - 15 steaks, depending on thickness
    They are $9.99 but then you get $25 off the total price. The one in my picture above was before the $25 off so it's like $8 a lb. 
  • Lit said:
    Kitarkus said:
    They are $9.99 but then you get $25 off the total price. The one in my picture above was before the $25 off so it's like $8 a lb. 
    Oh ok, I thought the 9.99 was the sale price.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Is this every Costco or select costco’s?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Just picked one up, thanks for the heads up.

Along with the 19lb ribeye roast I picked up last weekend, I’m set for a while.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Picked up 2 14 pounders. 
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Passed.  There were about 10 out and to my eye, looked more like choice and my freezer's not empty.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Thanks @DMW  they had a good selection for me. I got one that was just over 10 lbs. that means I basically got 25% off or it was just over $7.50 lb for prime grade. 

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    bgebrent said:
    Be happy to take some off your hands and free up some space for ya ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Legume said:
    Passed.  There were about 10 out and to my eye, looked more like choice and my freezer's not empty.
    Based on my small sample size, you made the right call. I cut up a 14-pounder tonight and it didn't look like prime based on my completely amateur assessment. Looked very similar to the choice grade cuts they were selling for a few bucks cheaper.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Costco Prime, just sayin'.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited October 2017
    Legume said:
    Based on my small sample size, you made the right call. I cut up a 14-pounder tonight and it didn't look like prime based on my completely amateur assessment. Looked very similar to the choice grade cuts they were selling for a few bucks cheaper.
    I agree. I went in for the prime and left with a choice. $30 cheaper and almost 5lb more beef. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Prime I got from Costco was amazing. Gonna up the DA roast this weekend. No trimming required. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    edited October 2017
    I looked closely at every one that was under 13 lbs and tried to choose wisely. Some were much better than others. I will know if the one I got Is good for sure when I cook it in 2 weeks. Based on the ends and the thinner fat cap on it I should have little to no trimming, I think it should be great. 
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Lit
    Mine came out good. Lost a couple pounds of fat I'm sure but I like to trim them good I take the whole fat cap off. Ended up with 12 nice steaks.
  • Lit
    Focker said:

You didn't butcher that thing did you? Looks like a first time brisket trimming attempt?
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2017
    Lit said:
    Focker said:

You didn't butcher that thing did you? Looks like a first time brisket trimming attempt?
    50% fat loss after the trim job.
    How that POS cut was given the Prime shield is beyond me, and suspect?

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."