Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hate my Dealer

Tettletime
Tettletime Posts: 52
edited October 2017 in EggHead Forum
okay, maybe hate is too strong a word, but man do they get on my nerves. I bought my egg in 2015, and I’ve had a cracked fire box and fire ring for about a year. When I called my dealer, they tried to give me the number to bge headquarters. I’ve explained to three different people now that bge will ship them the parts, they just have to submit the claim but to no avail. They even tried selling me the parts. Anyone else have this type of problem?

Comments

• and it took me like 3 tries to post this without mistakes. one of those days, folks.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    My dealer is the local Blossmon propane company. They have done nothing but regressed since 2009 when I bought my medium. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,660
    get a hold of bruce bohannon at bge and get an email addressing the warranty process from the dealer. take it to the dealer and if they still have a problem tell them to call bruce. they usually dont deal with bge direct anyways, this problem is between the dealer and the distributor, its a simple cell picture and a warranty claim form filed between dealer and distributor
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Contact Bruce at BGE, or find a new dealer.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Don't know where you are located but do you have other dealer options in the area?  Also, you should let bge hq know about the run-around you are getting. Perhaps they can intercede on your behalf and help the dealer "recognize right answer when told" so the next person isn't treated the same way.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • @lousubcap I'm in the DFW area, I got the egg from Texas Appliance, because back then there actually weren't a ton of choices in Arlington. Now Ace Hardware has them, but they don't like handling warranty issues if they didn't sell the egg, at least at the one by my house. All in all this is why I've waited nearly a year to replace the parts. It's a pain in the butt.

@fishlessman @Eggcelsior thanks for giving me Bruce's name, I'll definitely contact him.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    edited October 2017
    Anyone else have this type of problem?
    yes, bigtime.  My 'dealer' is a tool, nothing but coast to coast smiles when you're plunking down the money to buy the egg but doesn't want to know your name when you have a problem, complete a-hole. 

Your dealer should be able to take care of warranty items. Sounds like a little bit of lazy going on. 
    sure should, and the good ones like you do; I've been taken care of by dealers that owed me nothing so I know they're out there
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Couldn't agree more same here in Nashville at Hearth & Grill - Horrible. On the plus side, my Local Ace Hardware  (Tusculum Ace) is now selling eggs and they were incredibly nice and understanding. I just need to bring them my original paperwork and they will take over relationship - which includes warranty, my future purchases and my recommendations to others on where to buy EGG in Nashville. Prices are very good too. (not eggfest prices, but still good)

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Sales sells the first egg, service sells the second egg. 
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    I can say this my original dealer is great however slow with warranty. The reason for slow warranty is do to his slow BGE turn over. He waits to get an order before he gets my warranty. It really doesn't bother me to have slow claims. I understand he does not have the eggs sales some dealers have. I now live 300 miles from original dealer and even further from places I got my XL from. Melbourne, FL. It was an eggfest there. My dealer Dot's Ace in Texarakana, TX is awesome. I have got replacement parts really fast but he is a platinum dealer. He sales a lot of egg stuff.  I do agree with @lousubcap BGE needs to know your local dealer does want to help you out. 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Update: finally got in touch with someone from dealer who actually knows how to process bge warranty claims and got the ball rolling, just emailed pictures. Seems the issue is an untrained sales staff that doesn't know the product they sell. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Sounds like a Distributor Rep problem to me. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    I'm currently getting the run-around from my local dealer.  Am I responsible for shipping expenses to get a new firebox to his store?
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    In DFW, there is no shortage of BGE dealers.  Head over to ceramic grill store or Jabos Ace.  Great folks.  And/Or call the distributor, Paragon, and complain.
  • @TN_Egger from what I understand, if they can ship your parts with their regular shipment of eggs & accessories, then no, it shouldn't cost you anything. However, they may charge you if it's a standalone shipment.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited October 2017
    TN_Egger said:
    I'm currently getting the run-around from my local dealer.  Am I responsible for shipping expenses to get a new firebox to his store?

Typically not.  Most dealers will request that their warranty exchange parts come with their usual shipment.  So you're somewhat stuck with their timetable for free shipping.  If you want it expedited, I could envision a charge.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,660
    my firebox has been in 12 pieces for more than 12 years, no need to expedite ;) with the winter months up here alot of egg places are actually closed til spring, its no big deal
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    I know this will not help, but Sam's club has eggs for sale in there charleston,sc store.
  • Just go to the Big Green Egg website and check out the dealer locator and you will be able to find another dealer in your area that has a more reliable shipment schedule to get you back to cooking.
    Large Egg 
    Certified EGGspert

Fargo, ND 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    In DFW, there is no shortage of BGE dealers.  Head over to ceramic grill store or Jabos Ace.  Great folks.  And/Or call the distributor, Paragon, and complain.
    @Tettletime - this. Tom (owner of the Ceramic Grill Store) is a great guy and participates here. Also the one who makes the Adjustable Rig, Woo, etc. 

Alternatively, I have the contact info for one of the sales reps from Paragon. Met him while cooking a couple of the TX eggfests. I doubt he would mind if I put you in touch with him.

Dealers down here in the swamp are pretty good. I've made one warranty claim for a cracked LBGE base, and all it took was a phone call and 2 emails (receipt and pic of cracked base) for the folks at Bering's Hardware to load a new base into the trunk of my car. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    luckyboy said:
    I know this will not help, but Sam's club has eggs for sale in there charleston,sc store.
    @luckyboy Any egg bought through Sam's Club won't come with BGE warranty since they aren't a certified dealership. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Found a cracked firebox in my XL this afternoon. One phone called followed by emailed photos and my dealer said we’ll take care of it. 
    Its all dealer dependent. 

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • My egg dealer just started selling Joe as well. How well do you guys think that will fly with the sales rep when he makes his way around to them. 
    2 Large Eggs    Oklahoma City,OK
  • 510BG
    510BG Posts: 189
    edited October 2017
    okay, maybe hate is too strong a word, but man do they get on my nerves. I bought my egg in 2015, and I’ve had a cracked fire box and fire ring for about a year. When I called my dealer, they tried to give me the number to bge headquarters. I’ve explained to three different people now that bge will ship them the parts, they just have to submit the claim but to no avail. They even tried selling me the parts. Anyone else have this type of problem?
    BGE needs to change the warranty process. Email BGE file claim once approved have BGE ship replacement part to dealer of your choice for pickup. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I've got a crack in my firebox... I'm sure @caliking will take care of it. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    How close are you to Denton, TX?  CGS is now a dealer and they have always provided good customer service with my interaction with them. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    my firebox has been in 12 pieces for more than 12 years, no need to expedite ;) with the winter months up here alot of egg places are actually closed til spring, its no big deal
    A lot of folks are a bit more high maintenance than you though @fishlessman ;)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    510BG said:
    BGE needs to change the warranty process. Email BGE file claim once approved have BGE ship replacement part to dealer of your choice for pickup. 
    Or do like another kamado company and ship it direct to the customer. I honestly don't understand the warranty process. Last issue I had with a Weber, I contacted and dealt with Weber. The whole thing of going thru where you bought it is ridiculous.  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    henapple said:
    I've got a crack in my firebox... I'm sure @caliking will take care of it. 
    I'll take care of your crack alright. 

"Doc, are you sure BOTH of your hands are supposed to be on my shoulders for the prostate exam??"

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.