Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sunday Pepper Stout Beef

Options
Just wrapped up an awesome Sunday. Went apple picking this morning, bought a fresh made apple pie from our favorite spot, then came home and started up my first Pepper Stout Beef. I followed the Wolfe Pit recipe. Amazing! My favorite cook out of over 20 now on the Egg.

Started out with two chuckies, one about a pound and one at about 2.7. I think the butcher and I had a miscommunication. Didn't matter in the end, they both finished at the same time. I prepped with S&P and stored in the fridge over night wrapped in foil.

I originally planned to and tried it out on rolls as a sandwich with provolone cheese. We just happened to have some rice on the stove so when I went back for seconds (thirds really) I tried it over rice and prefer it that way.

Simple ingredients.

After the pull. 

Closeup.

After reducing the liquid. I had added two beers. Silly me, should have drunk the second one. I pulled a bit more carefully at this stage once inside and before serving.

Sandwich was provolone on roll, split, brushed with EVOO, grilled.

The funny thing is I ate so much beef I didn't even get to the apple pie.
Mountain View, CA

Comments

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Looks absolutely fantastic -- great job!
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    Awesome looking PSB! It's definitely a keeper
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    An all time fav cook in my household.  Well done!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Great looking sammy.  I could tuck into a few of those (and a couple of the Black) right now.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Nice. About time for me to make some of those again.  

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    ''Tis the season for some cooler weather comfort food. Beautiful job right there.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Ok so i made mine tonight and it tasted great. Only complaint that I had was mine was a little tougher then I hoped for. I got it to 205 IT. Maybe I should let mine go a little longer. 
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    I'll take 2 with double meat please. 
    Snellville, GA

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Great cook brother... need to try this one
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    edited September 2017
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    Ok so i made mine tonight and it tasted great. Only complaint that I had was mine was a little tougher then I hoped for. I got it to 205 IT. Maybe I should let mine go a little longer. 
    I got a bit of that toughness at 200-205 as well. I think when I finally shredded it the beef was ~210 IT. I was surprised. One of the videos I watched used a "fork twist like spaghetti test." I used that and reluctantly but thankfully put it back on two or three times between 200 and 210.
    Mountain View, CA
  • mgoblue0484
    Options
    I used Founder's Breakfast Stout instead of Guiness. Its a hearty stout that really gives a good flavor. I highly suggest trying a beer with a little more backbone.

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Ya, I wondered about different beers.

Given this was my first shot, I tried to stay as true as possible to the initial recipe. For my next go, I'll change out just the quality of the chuck roast. The two I started with were just okay. I have a line on a really awesome grass feed beef butcher in town that I'll hit up for a higher quality roast and use one larger piece instead of a large and small in combination.

Later, I'll look at beer options. I love to drink Ballast Point Victory at Sea. I'm not sure I could bring myself to pour it into this dish instead of drinking it.
    Mountain View, CA
  • mgoblue0484
    Options
    dmourati said:

Later, I'll look at beer options. I love to drink Ballast Point Victory at Sea. I'm not sure I could bring myself to pour it into this dish instead of drinking it.
    I took a swig for my homies before I poured it in the pot. It was an expensive beer, but I think it was worth it. I would be interested in trying a bourbon barrel stout, something like Dragon's Milk. The good thing is...there's always next time.

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va